[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help DIY Lichtenburg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

File: Screenshot_20170219-131508.jpg (1MB, 1438x1368px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170219-131508.jpg
1MB, 1438x1368px
Hey guys. Found this old microwave transformer.

I see the bottom is the low side as the conductor is larger and there are fewer windings. Is this where I input myou 120v single phase power?

What leads would I come off to produce an arc between for etching wood as per the hobby.

Thanks for all your help.

I've already spliced and made the 120V connection. Was I supposed to use the ground on the 120v power in anywhere? I don't see any connection points.
>>
I tried and am having no luck. I was under the impression that the high side of the transformer is a single wire in a coil. If I touched them together after injecting power on the low side aren't the supposed to arc?
>>
>>1133504
Primary Coil: the one with the thicker wire, which has fewer wraps, that you connect to your 120VAC power mains

Secondary Coil: the one with the thinner wire, which has more wraps, produces the kilovolts and death and arcing

Sometimes there is a 3rd coil which only has a few turns of wire. Don't use that one. It can be removed.

The frame needs to be grounded.

Is that your MOT in the image? That looks like the top is the secondary coil and the bottom is the primary coil. The 2 white wires on the bottom should be the 120VAC connection.

The top coil looks like it has 3 wires, including the one coming off that top tab. The short white wire with the blur tab should be the secondary coil wire, you can see the other end of it attached to the frame right behind it in that image. Those other two thick wires should be the 3rd coil. Ignore those, just safely secure them so they don't touch anything.

The arc will travel between the frame and that short white wire on the top.

Remember, keep one hand behind your back at all times.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1253x648px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1253x648px
>>1133551
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-jO6TyK64
>>
>>1133553
This guy sounds like a Norwegian bachelor farmer.
>>
Did OP die?
>>
>>1134312
I hope so. If you can't figure out how a MOT works then you're dumb to play around with high voltage
>>
File: Git Gud.jpg (1023KB, 2955x2388px) Image search: [Google]
Git Gud.jpg
1023KB, 2955x2388px
Bruh, Git gud.
>>
>>1135009
I literally yanked that out of a microwave in an hour, watched a youtube vid, hooked up a pair of jumper cables and i was GTG. Shit aint hard, just dangerous.
>>
>>1135011

yeah but you did it on a meme stock, and it doesn't even look good
>>
>>1135032
Eat shit fag, whatve you done with your projects? At least i did something.
>>
File: desk.jpg (114KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
desk.jpg
114KB, 960x720px
>>1135035

I made a desk out of an old barn door and way too much money in iron pipe
>>
>>1135037
And that looks so much nicer and less of a meme than what I did. Congrats.
>>
File: door.png (2MB, 718x1230px) Image search: [Google]
door.png
2MB, 718x1230px
>>1135039

yes
>>
>>1135032
It looks great. You're just very jelly or contrarian.
>>
>>1135009
>>1135011
>"I'm going to offer next to no help, but I still want to find a way to let strangers on the internet know I am superior to them."
>>
File: 1487469164635.webm (806KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1487469164635.webm
806KB, 320x320px
>>1135311
>I am so used to being spoonfed that I can't see the answer in the image provided without someone pointing it out to me.
>>
>>1133504
Off topic, but why lichtenburg? Please elaborate, that name means things to me.
>>
File: RkJba1v.jpg (428KB, 1600x1591px) Image search: [Google]
RkJba1v.jpg
428KB, 1600x1591px
>>1135333
Because you can do awesome wood burning figuring with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuG1oNRQnyI
>>
File: ghghgh.jpg (991KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
ghghgh.jpg
991KB, 2592x1944px
>>1135311
>>1135311
Seriously, just look at the pic I put up, look heres the exact same thing but bigger. Note how the wall power connects an how the jumper cable connects, one side to the lead wire, the other just clamped on the metal frame. I used the plug from the microwave I tore it out of, and teh existing power connections. I even insulated it with a cheap ass plastic kennel for safety.

once again git gud fag.
>>
>>1135392
Aren't you supposed to moisten the wood with soda solution or something?
>>
File: 960.jpg (66KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
66KB, 960x540px
>>1135393
saturated salt water, saturated baking soda, fucking gatorade would work. Anything that is conductive, regular water would work just not very well, i used salt water, but it takes like a pound of salt so ive heard baking soda will work with less.
>>
>>1135394
Fumes can be a problem too, so baking soda is a "little bit safer".

>>1135392
This is the reason why I stopped allowing comments on my youtube vids. People were not using their eyes and brains.

>>1135311
It was already answered in >>1133551 + >>1133553
>>
>>1135423
Thats good to know that fumes are a thing, Naturally i just did it outside since it does get really smokey from the burning wood. Whats your youtube channel? No bully I promise.
>>
>>1133551
>The top coil looks like it has 3 wires, including the one coming off that top tab. The short white wire with the blur tab

Yes. This is the HV secondary.

>the other end of it attached to the frame right

Could be the other end of the HV winding, grounded to the frame. Or a shield ground in the core. Check the HV terminal (white wire) for continuity to the frame with an ohmmeter. If it is, the HV will be the white wire and the frame.

If the HV secondary is not grounded to the frame, check continuity to the other two wires coming out of the HV section. These are a third winding which produces a couple of volts for the magnetron filament. Sometimes the filament winding is tied to one end of the HV coil.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.