[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do you spend on DIY?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Cash-Loan.jpg (861KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Cash-Loan.jpg
861KB, 1200x800px
Do you do it to save money? Or do you end up wasting money on tools and useless parts?
>>
>>1133291
I buy quality tools and take care of them. I have completed many major projects on my home and cars that I could never have afforded to hire out. So if say that even though I'm broke I have saved a fortune.
Guess if I got a job it wouldn't be diy anymore..
>>
>>1133291
Growing up my Dad /diy/ed everything because they simply couldn't afford to hire out.
Home repairs, furniture repairs, lawnmower repair, auto repairs, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, landscaping, fishing gear, the list goes on.
He could (and still can) take anything apart and put it back together.
He always had quality tools, even if they were 100 year old hand me downs and he always had me to go fetch them. I was the only kid in first grade who knew all the types of wrenches and could read sizes.
We still /diy/ almost everything, but now it's mostly out of the simple joy of doing it, but partially because I'm broke as shit.
>>
>>1133291
Both.
>>
I've spent a lot on /diy/ over many years and it's paid off delightfully.

House renovation, maintenance on everyfuckingthing I own, being able to make or modify vehicle parts, having immediate self-service for everything I own, etc helped me pay off my houses early and cuts costs for anything I want to do.

I never regretted buying quality tools but I'm not autismal about it. If I have an industrial/commerical option, I prefer that. Strategy helps. Self and bro haunt industrial liquidation auctions for deals. We are both hobby machinists whose teamwork built our shops which live in forty foot High Cube shipping containers. We don't pay riggers since we got gud at /diy/ machinery moving.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes learning.
Copy success instead of perpetrating random fuckery. Later, you'll perpetrate useful fuckery.
Persistence is everything. I'm not talented, just deliberately versatile.

Formal training accelerates learning. Auto mechanics, welding and machine shop courses early on are a good idea.

Take auto shop first because wrenching saves a shitload of money when you don't have much while instilling the basics of hardware and electrical troubleshooting.

Have fun.
>>
>save money?
yes plenty
>waste on tools
no, on tools its not a waste
>useless parts

sigh, yeah a lot

but i also salvage assloads of industrial shit
so i have big expensive piles of shit, extremely useful,high quality stuff, i just have to model the shit up

my parents hate my im sure of it
>>
>>1133291
>Do you do it to save money?
I mostly do things that aren't very urgent or needed so if I fuck up is not a big deal (when I do I have to be sure in advance that I will manage to do a fine job and also save money).
So I didn't actually save much money but I did craft some nice stuff and increase the value of my house and properties while doing something I enjoy.
>Or do you end up wasting money on tools and useless parts?
I mostly buy shitty toys for cheap and see how much I need them and how much they make the job easier, yet I take very good care of them and will last a lot before I will have to replace them with decent ones.
I mostly use scrap and recicled stuff for my projects, I actually start from there: "what do I have and what can I do with it?"
>>
I can buy shit old cars because I can fix them myself for cheap. That has been the biggest saver I believe.
I hate to think that I would need to buy a car that costs tens of thousand of whatevermonies as a car for me is just to transport me from point a to b.
I fix home appliances and actually at least try to fix shit before grudgingly buy new (or used) . I dislike working so I like to keep my expenses at a minimum.
Every extra cent I make I try to invest so I actually have a few flats I rent out and a decent portfolio. Because I save money, I don't spend. It will take maybe 20 years (I'm 35) before I'll get tot he point where I can live off dividends and interest.
This is thanks to my cheap and resourceful way of living.

At this point I'm building a house (without previous experience but a diver can do that also) and that is the worst financial decision I have made. But I'm aware of it.
>>
File: okada alert.png (661KB, 960x930px) Image search: [Google]
okada alert.png
661KB, 960x930px
>>1133291
about $300, which is way too much. Gotta use up my materials this year and not buy new shit.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.