[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fiberglass powerboat from scratch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Hc94381.jpg (77KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Hc94381.jpg
77KB, 600x450px
Do you guys know some books I can read to learn how to design and make a powerboat? I'm a NAME (naval architecture and marine engineering) student, but I haven't started with the classes dealing with actual boatbuilding yet and I assume not much will be dedicated to powerboats. Any material dealing with working with fiberglass would be nice too.
>>
>>1133183
Dont.

I put over 2k in fiberglass in a junk 2 man soeed boat and gave it away no where near done
>>
>>1133183
theres a bunch of wooden boat plan pdfs floating around the internet. mostly out of old popular mechanics magazines from the 50's/60's.

you just build the boat as usual and do a few layers of fiber. can be done with hand tools.

http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/motorboat-plans.html
>>
>>1134454
wew
story?
>>1134459
I'm worried that contractions and expansions might crack such a composite, I'd feel more confident building it out of fiberglass with only stringers and transom made of wood
>>
>>1134613
>I'd feel more confident building it out of fiberglass with only stringers and transom made of wood

Best boat for building yourself (i.e., in your garage or carport, not in a pro shop) is probably wood with epoxy/fiberglass reinforcement in appropriate places. Many thousands of them built that way.

Look up: stitch & glue, strip-building, etc.

Now, if you're going to be a pro, *and* you have access to a pro fiberglass shop, that might be a different story.
>>
>>1133183
>I'm a NAME (naval architecture and marine engineering) student,

Yet you are on 4chan instead of real boat building forums. Why are you here and how dare you not have found better resources?

This search string will help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boatbuilding+forums&oq=boatbuilding+forums&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6631j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Why are you here? That won't help you. The listed forums, plus minimal effort on your part, will help you. You have a lot of studying to do.
>>
>>1134613
Not much to tell really. I'm an autist. Watched 45 vids on fiberglass. Bro has a little 2 man 25-30hp jet boat converted with a 75hp evenrude on it. Saw more air time than the general lee and was about to cave in. My fat ass had a brilliant idea to make it a 1 seater tuggboat for my trunk friends on tubes and shit. Shittle peopke to the pontoon boats etc. Tore into it, made a mess. Fucked uo a perfectly goot jet ski. Sold it.

Knowing what i know now i coulda done it cheap. Oh well
>>
>>1134628
/drool.

Chopper guns fove me a hardon.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.