[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the right tool makes all the difference in the world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

a while ago I made this thread: https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S1123700

I didn't have great results using the usual dremel grinding bits, but I finally picked up a HSS cutter and the difference was night and day.

It shaved off the aluminum like nothing, created way less heat, and literally took just a few minutes. I read about people using router bits meant for wood on soft metal, but I didn't think it would have worked as well as it did.

All the time I spent trying to do it the hard way....wow.
>>
>>1133127
Yeah! Wait until you play with some carbide air tool grindy bits...
>>
>>1133127
You can't grind soft metals like aluminum. It's like trying to sand cheese. You need an actual cutting edge to generate chips.
>>
>>1133133
I actually got a carbide dremel bit too, I wasn't sure which would work better

>>1133156
apparently so

the grinding bits probably melted it instead and made them work that much worse
>>
>>1133229
>the grinding bits probably melted it instead and made them work that much worse

That's exactly the problem. Grinding aluminum is incredibly difficult, as it's a very "gummy" metal with a low melting point. Without going very slowly and using a lot of coolant/lubricant, aluminum melts and sticks to the stone. At that point, all you're doing is creating a bunch of heat, exacerbating the problem.

Soft metals in general don't usually take well to grinding, but aluminum is one of the worst of the bunch, if not THE worst. Cutting is almost always preferable to grinding, in this case.
>>
>>1133254
I remember being in high school machining class, first thing in the morning still half asleep. Had a block of aluminum that I needed to shave just a bit. So I took it to the surface grinder, flipped the magnetic lock, then got moving on setting the wheel into position. First contact the fucking block goes rocketing 200ft across the shop and smashes into the stock rack, knocks off a few pipes and makes a ton of noise. I looked around the room and saw the instructor giving me his death stare. At that moment my brain kicked in and I remembered aluminum isn't magnetic. Still get a chuckle out of that from time to time. Keep in mind I was 14 and hadn't quite woken up yet, before you judge me.
>>
Dremels are great for getting you out of a pickle, but they ain't 'the right tool' for anything.
>>
>>1134055
using a dremel you already have vs buying and learning how to use a lathe or cnc machine
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.