[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a rural cabin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: cabin.jpg (384KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
cabin.jpg
384KB, 1280x853px
Ever since I was young I've wanted to live in a peaceful simple home in the middle of the trees and the lakes and the mountains. Now that I'm older I can see it's a bit of a pipedream (especially as I live in a city in the UK), but you never know, maybe it's something I'll be able to achieve later in life. So, just for fun, I wanted to start designing one. Is it possible for someone with no background in DIY, let alone architecture, to plan and build a cabin like this? What are some good resources?
>>
>>1133087
>no knowledge
>can i build a shed

no

>good resources
lurk more, also jewtoobs
>>
Fellow bong reporting in.

Mate, in the 1600s, men with women and children set off in sailing ships and settled in what was to become the glorious USA.

Men who could probably hardly read, set off into the unknown with hostile weather, uncertain natives and wildlife which few Europeans had ever imagined waiting to greet them with teeth and claw.

And they did it.

You are British, this should run through
your veins, to want to explore, build and be a man amongst men.

Get your bollocks stitched back on, and get to it. Of course you can do it.

God bless America,

God save the Queen.
>>
>>1133109
who do you suggest op enslave?
>>
>>1133109
Well I'll need to save up the money first. I've just started a job that allows me to save £10k per year, so the goal is to keep advancing in that career but in about 5 to 10 years make a real push to do one or all of remote working, part-time hours, or contracted work so I can pick my own hours. That way I'd still have theo option of going to take the money I've saved and buy a few acres of land and the material I'd need, but still having a career to fall back on if it all goes tits up. Like I say, it's a long-term plan, but it'd be nice to give myself a distraction like drawing up some initial plans.
>>
I live in the rockies and I will say that the mountains and views I've seen have been beautiful. So beautiful that experiencing it alone can be kinda depressing at times.

Being isolated deep in the mountains is not the best for your psyche. There are many stories of people in the more remote ski areas anheroing.

If you're in good mental standing, land without plumbing or electricity is fairly cheap (~10k) in the mountains. But you sound like you need land with resources - which may run higher.

Building a cabin is not difficult from an architectural standpoint, but there are much better more energy efficient designs - which also come at a price.

Pipe dream indeed, plan your dream out and follow it if you mean it.
>>
>>1133147
>if you're in good mental standing

Uh oh.

But in all seriousness, this is something I've considered too. Do I really want to drop everything in my late 20s, leave behind everyone I know, and spend the rest of my life living in relative isolation? Realistically, no. What I'd really love is to be able to have a more typical life during the week, and then at the weekend go away and work on my cabin retreat. Unfortunately we don't have the same abundance of land and beautiful landscapes here in the UK, so for me to do this in the area I'd really like to - the Pacific Northwest - it would mean uprooting quite significantly. I'm still trying to work that bit out.
>>
I share a similar dream to you but live in the U.S.

Key thing is to save money. Hard part seems to be finding good land. I actually enjoy my job so don't want to live too far away from it, but everything I look at seems to be top dollar or the road to get there is more treacherous than a trip to Mordor. My current house isn't bad, but the property isn't where I want to be long term.
>>
File: HomelandSecurity.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
HomelandSecurity.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
>>1133109
>settled in what was to become the glorious USA.
I don't think the natives are dumb enough to fall for that a second time.
>>
File: 1431403361164.jpg (172KB, 921x800px) Image search: [Google]
1431403361164.jpg
172KB, 921x800px
I feel you op, and as a fellow european and looking to the degradation of our beautiful continent it does suck.

I had this job for almost 5 years that allowed me to save some bucks, not much but it was a start, then the place where I worked went to shit and closed its doors (tbf I did not enjoy it that much).
That stopped me from saving more money and ultimately buy a couple acres of cheap land. Now I'm starting to think allot about it again, so if I land some job near a small populated location I will say fuck you to everything and go for it, even if that means living in a tent middle of my property.
>>
File: 16x32.jpg (835KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
16x32.jpg
835KB, 1000x750px
>>1133087
in the US, thats not a pipe dream at all. ~40k$ will get you a manufactured home, well and septic, and a plot of land.

middle class rednecks do it all the time for hunting.
>>
>>1133491
Can we even still buy land in Europe? Here in the UK it feels like everything has been built on already or is within a national park and protected.

>>1133501
I know, I'm jealous. I almost wish I'd been born in the US - for me to leave the UK and pursue this dream it would be mean throwing away my career and barely seeing my family. It's still a nice idea, but maybe not a realistic one.
>>
>>1133519
>Can we even still buy land in Europe?
There's plenty of them to sell in my country, but it's land where you can only have small buildings to support your agricultural activities, which it's ok. Also some land have already stone houses from the 1900s that just need repairs.
>>
>>1133501
Continue.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.