[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Removing deep scratches from an LCD screen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: fug.jpg (92KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
92KB, 599x337px
Someone was throwing out an LCD tv, after picking it up and fixing a problem with the buttons shorting out making it turn channels randomly I am left with a tv with some deep scratches in the screen.
Google gives some pretty bad suggestions like vasoline.

Has anyone had experience with buffing out scratches in some way?
>>
Finer and finer grades of sandpaper, up to about 2000 grit, then polish with a buff and some plastic buffing compound.

But there is a good chance this will end up looking worse than the scratch, as you'll take off the anti-reflection coating in the area that you are polishing.

So you either need to do it to the whole screen, or, see if the top layer of the screen is removable and replace it with plastic/polycarbonate sheet.
>>
Magic Eraser.
>>
>>1132758
This. You'd need to treat the entire screen surface. LCD's are not perfectly glossy*, which is what you'll get once you have done your final polish on the affected area. You'd need to then polish the entire surface to match the repaired area.

*with good reason, it's terrible for viewability in all but the darkest rooms
>>
>>1132758
>>1132792
I guess the next question would be the sanding techniques
Should I wet it or just go in dry? Circle or go in straight lines?
>>
>>1132811
Wet and circular. Which means exposing the panel and its edges to water, which makes this even more of a stupid idea than it was three posts ago.
>>
we have this problem at my office. Some ceiling works went wrong and 2 screens get this kind of damage. but it disapeared automagically in about 6 months. It seems that the cleaning people used some kind of strong all-surfaces cleaner. Ill try with some diluted dissolvent, alchool, etc a soft clothe and lots of patience all over the area, not only the damaged part. You could use a magnifier to see if works and change the dilution if needed.
>>
>>1132671
Go to napa and get the headlight lens restore kit that comes with preloaded buffing pads. Dampen the pad and the area and buff out. If you need something stronger use the one for glass. Works beautifully.
>>
>>1132671

If it has an anti-glare layer, you can try to remove it.

https://hardforum.com/threads/guide-how-to-remove-the-anti-glare-ag-coating-from-a-dell-u2312hm-lcd.1674033/
>>
>>1132671
why not use a company that specializes in removing scratches from car windows
>>
>>1132758
Protip: use toothpaste for the final buff. I use it to remove UV coatings from lenses.
>>
>>1132758

Perhaps you can peel off the matte antiglare film and then apply a new one?
>>
>>1132671
There's a good chance that whatever you do to repair that screen won't work really well. Removing scratches from glass and plastic is a bitch.
>>
Scratches look bad because the diffuse light. Car scratch pens work to prevent the diffusion. Try one.
>>
>>1132940

This is your only hope most screens have this layer if they are a matte finish

otherwise if its into the panel's outer surface its chooched
>>
>>1132758
>>1132792
>sanding/polishing it

oh fuck no lol you must replace it
>>
>>1132671
What about trying aircraft-canopy cleaner (don't know how you call it in your language but you got the idea) ?

This product is designed to remove scratches and impacts on plane glasses, because they are made in plexiglass and will flying you are very likely to collide with birds or random shitstones from space.

As a last resort I would recommend Chloroform, because it works like a charm to weld plexiglass sheets together, hence "diluting" the scratch with some drops may work
>>
>>1134213
>random shitstones from space
Mysides.jpg

How bout tryin to live with it? Implying secondary monitor and thats the only scratch
>>
>>1134213
Aircraft canopy polishing kits contain various grits of abrasive paper and polishing compound. Worth playing with anyway and the screen won't be nearly as hard as an aircraft canopy.
>>
>>1132671

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yp-kumgpoM

Torch it.
>>
>>1134273
>greentext
>mysides.jpg
>implying

newfag trying to blend in detected
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.