[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long for paint to dry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

Yesterday afternoon I painted the 2 front doors of my workshop container in a dark green coating. I checked this morning and tonight and it's still sticky.
The company I bought the paint from says it should take 6-8 hours to dry at 20° C. It's now about 28 hours since I painted it but it's only 5-10° C and has been raining a few times today. The paint itself looks pretty good so I don't think the rain ruined it but how much longer do you think it will take to be completely dry and non sticky?

It's not a water based paint.
>>
File: 3576816.jpg (104KB, 423x303px) Image search: [Google]
3576816.jpg
104KB, 423x303px
>>1132581
next time try to use a heater if its posible to help the paint to dry faster
>>
>>1132581
when you lay oil paint on WAY too thick, it skins over and takes an unbelievably long time to reach full hardness.

basically underneath the skin it acts like it's still in the can.

it'll be touch-dry (ish) by monday but you'll probably still be able to press a thumbprint into it this time next year.

THIN YOUR PAINTS!
>>
>>1132596
>when you lay oil paint on WAY too thick,

I believe this guy is onto the problem. #2 beginner mistake; #1 is failure to prep the surface correctly. Also, temp and humidity make drying times vary.

Never heard the phrase "like waiting for paint to dry"?
>>
>>1132581
>it's only 5-10° C and has been raining a few times today

this is the exact opposite of the conditions you should be painting in
>>
File: Sad_Duncan.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sad_Duncan.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
>>1132596
>mfw someone doesn't thin their paints
>>
>>1132791
>..

It was sunny and 10+ the day I painted. I was expecting it to stay that way a few days longer. Figured it would be dry by the following day since I didnt know the temperature was that big a deal. Lesson learned I guess.
>>
>>1132581
Its probably 6-8 hours for the second coat.

Oil paint takes a couple of days to cure hard enough so you can touch it without leaving a mark and weeks before you can sand it.

Thinners help solvents in the paint evaporate much quicker, but you should not use them if finish is important.

When you thin paint, you are almost guaranteed to have brush strokes in the finish, and increase the chance of runs.
Thinned paint also gives less coverage.
But it dries faster.

If you're using a roller finish will be shit anyway so feel free to thin it.
>>
>>1132991

Used a brush for the doors. Thought I'd use a roller for the sides since there's less detail there.
It's still a bit sticky now 2 days after painting it but a lot less than yesterday so should be okay in a few more days. Sun's out tomorrow so that will help too.

Thanks for all the advice here, /diy/.
>>
When you test to see if paint is dry, never use the pads of your finger.

Always use the back of the finger between the 1st and 2nd knuckle.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.