[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

apartment noise insulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: soundproof.jpg (31KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
soundproof.jpg
31KB, 500x362px
I have my own room and share a flat with three other guys. I can hear everything they do in the kitchen because our rooms are so poorly insulated against noise, and I don't like the idea that if I have a girl over everyone will hear it. I think my door is definitely the primary way that noise is getting in, so I want to insulate my door against noise. It's an apartment, so I have to do it without actually modifying the door itself. I'm thinking of actually hanging a rug on it, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. How / what else do you recommend?
>>
>>1132023
long wooden sticks lean on the two corners
>>
>>1132023
>Implying you can get a girl
>>
>>1132023

if you have an asshole landlord (most likely) : take it off the hinges, put it in the storage closet and put in a solid core door.

If he's easy going : pick out a better door, say you'll pay for it and get him to sign off on the replacement.

Then use draft strips and a bottom draught excluder on the door.
>>
just get some compressed air and blow it into everyone's ears
>>
I think you'll be surprised how much sound travels through the walls as well.
>>
>>1132023
Egg boxes, rugs, foam, etc will not stop noise transmission. It will just stop the sound reflections in your room.

The only real way to stop sound transmission is sheer mass of sound absorbing material between you and your room mates, and I'm not talking about foam, something with real mass
>>
>>1132059
>suggesting using OP's mom as sound absorber
>>
>>1132023
You can drill a few big holes int he top of the door and fill the hollow spaces with foam beads.

http://www.foamerica.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BBF%2D9CF

Personally, I used a sheet of 3/4" thick, polystyrene, foam insulation. I cut it to shape and put it over the door. I used a sheet of 1/4" luan board over that to dress it up and used pieces of 1"x1" cut from a 2"x4" to dress the sides. I left a space around the door knob since knobs aren't usually able to go through a door twice as thick without buying a new one. All this stuff can be removed since I used tiny finishing nails.

I did that for weather proofing, it is rather cold here. However, I can't hear much of anything through the door as result.
>>
>>1132023
>Go to home depot.
>Buy a solid core door slab.
>Mortise the hinges to match your existing door.
>Hang door.

You now have a solid core door for $50.

Protip: Play music. It not only covers up the sounds of your premature ejaculation, it also sets the mood.

Second protip: If it's nice out where you are, open a window while fucking. Not only does that breeze feel good, it allows a sound to escape instead of reflect.
>>
oh one of these threads again.
sound travels through solid objects better than through air.
a solid door might work but hanging a curtain or a carpet will work better because while the solid door absorbs the sound and has a large mass to dissipate the energy it is conductive to the sound waves and they travel easily in the solid door, the carpet is soft and doesn't conduct sound waves well as the energy moves all the little fibres and shit in the fabric which all rub together and create heat from friction or some shit and the sound energy is used up.

also theres consideration of the frequency and shit because of harmonics you don't want to thing your using as dampening to have a harmonic resonance with the noise otherwise it will itself start to vibrate and retransmit the sound rather than the sound passing through it.

anything you put up, yes even egg boxes, will help a small amount.
>>
>>1132167
>sound travels through solid objects better than through air.
w h a t
>>
>>1132080
>solid core door slab
>$50
wew
>>
>>1132080
>Second protip: If it's nice out where you are, open a window while fucking. Not only does that breeze feel good, it allows a sound to escape instead of reflect.

In my rather limited experience this results in a pissed off mom beating on your door like the world is on fire because her kids could hear you. That's not so bad, but when you tell her to fuck off you get to explain to the absolutely bro tier cops that you weren't having sex in front of her kids but by that time the entire building thinks you're some kind of kiddy fucker. Given the situation that OP is in, I would take some ribbing from my roommates before going down that road.

As far as sound reduction goes, I've heard of filling walls with sand, but I don't know if your door will be able hold the extra weight. Simplest solution is to replace the door and play music.
>>
>>1132170
>he doesn't even understand basic physics
maybe you can go back and get your GED, Tyrone.
>>
>>1132170

Yes, it does. In the form of vibrations. It is more muffled but travels farther.
>>
>>1132050
this.

If you're willing to pay for the door and installation almost any good landlord will allow it.

However, if you're trying to just buy the door and install it yourself, I as a landlord would likely not allow it unless you'd really gone out of the way to prove your ability on smaller, easier jobs.
>>
>>1132167
>>1132170
>>1132286
>>1132344
It also travels much faster through more dense mediums.
>>
>>1132044
>>1132065
ROASTED
When will OP EVER recover?!
>>
>>1132023
When I had a roommate I would ask them to wear ear plugs when I had women over then would put a wet towel outside his bedroom door so he couldn't hear me plowing.

Alternatively everyone in the house can wear earplugs
>>
>>1132065
As an added bonus, installing OP's mom in the room will eliminate sex noises.

...or will it?
>>
>>1132593
>implying OPs mom aint a screamer. or squeaker.
>>
>>1132052
lost
>>
>>1132059
Lead insulation?
>>
>>1132044
If he did get a girl, let happen what will happen, then go get high fives from the other guys. Problem solved.
>>
File: pic_204_2.jpg (27KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
pic_204_2.jpg
27KB, 440x330px
I've decided to just hang a rug on the door, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I could use metal hooks like pic related to hang it, but I don't know where to get them or how to attach them to the rug, and there's the added problem of abrasion on the doorframe. I don't want to damage the door or doorframe. Wat do?
>>
>>1132843

I don't know faggot maybe move out what the fuck do you want
>>
>>1132843
They're in the laundry section of Walmart, near the clothes baskets, irons, etc.

Tldr, go to the Isle you've never looked at and they're their.
>>
>>1132853
>They're in the laundry section of Walmart, near the clothes baskets, irons, etc.
I meant the hook itself, not the whole thing. I don't want the coatrack shit.
>>
>>1132853
You can find door hooks in crafting stores during any season. To get the specific one in your pic, you'll need to modify a coat rack.
>>
>>1133813
Lulz I'm shitposting on the DIY I'm not gonna delete though
>>
File: image2.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1132023
buy a new door thats rated for outside doorways so that it has foam in it?

or just buy a foam panel form home depot and attach it to one or more sides of said door
>>
>>1132059
>sheer mass of sound absorbing material
>not suggesting OP vacuum insulate all walls and hollow core doors
>>
>>1132209
http://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN-36-in-x-80-in-Smooth-6-Panel-Solid-Core-Primed-Molded-Bored-Interior-Door-Slab-THDJW136600024/202982638

$59. You can also get them 25%-75% off for any tiny amount of damage.

I worked apartment maintenance briefly and probably 20% of my job was replacing doors.
>>
>>1132023
You must kill them op. Kill them all
>>
>>1132843
I dunno, consider the adhesive 3M hooks. Any Walmart has them somewhere in the hardware section. They can be removed without damaging paint or surfaces, but I don't know if they'll hold the weight depending on what you want to hang.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.