[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't believe there's no leather thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_2687.jpg (309KB, 1084x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2687.jpg
309KB, 1084x1280px
Turnshoe Edition!
I have no idea what I'm doing!

What are you lads working on?
>>
I undid that mess of a knot at the end, and threaded the tails through previous stitches instead. Much nicer and smoother.
>>
File: IMG_2686.jpg (337KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2686.jpg
337KB, 960x1280px
>>1131674
Derp, forgot mah pic
>>
Is there a solid toolset to start out with? Just have an awl, mallet and xacto right now. Would be nice if it included a swivel blade. See a bunch on amazon but don't know
>>
>>1131680
Dunno I'm doing my turnshoes with a cheap leather sewing kit I got on Amazon for like $10. Probably best just to buy tools as you need them, once you have basic stuff like needles, thread, stitch marker thing, awl, rake punch, etc.
>>
File: IMG_2688.jpg (326KB, 1280x960px)
IMG_2688.jpg
326KB, 1280x960px
Keep breaking needles and shit lol
>>
Get saddler needles they hold up pretty well. Ive pulled as hard as my arm could with a vice grip and I'm no skinny bitch. Came out with no damage except scuffing and they are chink shit ones that came with thread antkit I think.
>>
>>1131672
a couple of gun holsters for my side arm and general tool sheaths. Leather working is fucking a piece of cake compare to other materials i work with.
>>
What kind of shoe art thou crafting, fair cobbler?
>>
>>1131848
Just a simple side laced turnshoe. Aiming for 'A' in pic related, but I doubt it's gonna look so nice being my first go at it, and just about my first go at leather working lol. Also probably just going to lace at the ends of the leather rather than add a seam and cut a slot for lacing. That would be more durable, but butting together the leather and sewing it is complicated yo (since I'm not sure how it will line up on my foot, need to cut down the top opening and stuff, but then I'd have to turn the shoe, then turn it back to sew and so on).

Hopefully just the first pair of many though, I'd like to make a pair of custom lasts and build nice dress shoes and some boots eventually, since standard ones never fit my feet right.
>>
>>1131826
>Leather working is fucking a piece of cake compare to other materials i work with.
It definitely does seem that way. Some of it is tedious and it goes slowly, but nothing is difficult really. Easy to put on some netflix and just sort of get in a rhythm. Much easier than sewing cloth too, since it's not constantly flopping around and slipping away lol.
>>
Anyone have any idea how important a hell stiffener is? Cause judging by my experiments and samples there's no fucking way I'm gonna be able to tunnel stitch to attach the stiffener without going through the outer leather, and I don't want unsightly stitches showing through... Maybe just go without for now, and if I have issues glue one on, or try again at the stitching?
>>
File: IMG_2691.jpg (225KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2691.jpg
225KB, 960x1280px
Oh shit it's on now.
>>
File: IMG_2693.jpg (249KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2693.jpg
249KB, 960x1280px
Turning them bitches inside out was a cunt and a half.

Now just need to trim the openings and the ends at the closure...
>>
>>1132095
Also trying them on... Damn a heel stiffener would be nice/useful lol. Hopefully once they're dried and trimmed I can just use the lacing to pull tension on the heel and keep it from getting tucked under. Otherwise might have to flip it back out and if nothing else just glue the fuckers in there.

Or just do a better job next time! lol
>>
Does anyone know of a cheap way to make a singer 99k easier to hand crank without chopping up the wheel or buying an expensive handle? I'm considering just epoxying a clamp to the wheel and pulling that around but I'm open to any more elegant suggestions. It's an old electric one with a knee motor controller, but the wiring is dodgy as fuck and I find hand cranking to be better for what I want anyway.
>>
>>1132243
How is it hard to hand turn, that wheel is huge. If you need a handle stick out just clamp one on or something.
>>
File: IMG_2696.jpg (219KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2696.jpg
219KB, 960x1280px
>>1132096
Damn a heel stiffener definitely would have been nice, as well as making the sole about a 1/4" to 1/2" longer, fucking upper folds down onto heel.

Also ended up having the back of the upper around the heel a bit too short, and on the pattern I should have curved it much more so it would stick inward instead of being vertical, which makes it loose around the heel.

Well fuck it, whatever, shoes are done and I guess they'll do until I feel like having another go at it.

pic related shows the problem pretty well, I have really high arches and so it pulls the sole up causes a shortfall in the back which the rear upper accommodates unfortunately. Also having the sole pull up into my arches twists the sole to the inside of my foot rather than the outside where there is greater ground contact. Guess the upper should have had more ease in that area to accommodate the inward curvature.

Maybe I'll get around to carving lasts before my next attempt...
>>
File: 1grande_8397.jpg (380KB, 2000x1109px) Image search: [Google]
1grande_8397.jpg
380KB, 2000x1109px
>>1132490
Or maybe next time I'll just make ankle boots with straps to pull everything tight, like so:
>>
>>1132490
Looks good for a first try
>>
>>1131684
>handy needle assoitment

kekkaroo
>>
Currently I'm studying basic bodice because I'm plan going:

>read about bodice and drapering
>read about medieval clothing
>get a book on leatherwork
>create a complete fit, with dress, gloves, leather shoes and hat
>>
File: 1484421077290.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px)
1484421077290.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1132487
It's not so much hard as it is awkward. I need to reposition my hand with every stitch, and I'm used to the 29k singer patcher at work being able to whiz through stitching jobs. This is for projects at home, which at the moment will probably be possum fur and lamb skin baby booties. I'm hoping to be able to make a pair in about 45 minutes to sell and gift to friends.

I'm the guy from the last thread who made the quiver and the lamb skin booties, if anyone remembers.
>>
File: FTFY.png (340KB, 481x372px) Image search: [Google]
FTFY.png
340KB, 481x372px
>>1132490
Cut along the blue so the opening is a "V" shape, that should sole your heel issues. pic related. then reinforce the area I marked with red. the reinforcement will prevent the holes from tearing out over time.

your design is great, some minor improvements that can be made easily even though its complete will really help.
>>
>>1133266
and you can add a small flap of leather behind the holes to keep the laces from rubbing you ankle.
>>
>>1132490
Im not into leather work. But I do sew. The threads showing in your seams at the bottom is from wobbly line work or pattern. But most of it looks good. Just saying tho. Those areas are first to blow out.
>>
>>1132490
Not a bad try.
Viking turnshoes were made with an intentionally overly long sole so the heel can roll without wearing the upper or the seam.
>>
>>1134836
How comfortable are turnshoes, assuming proper fit?
>>
>>1132824
Those booties are so badass.
>>
>>1134841
I wear them for reenactment, and as my slippers in the cold basement, so i can tell you there very comfy when built right and to a good fit. I've made two pairs to date (not counting failures and redos), and if you use a good armor leather for the soles and pliable but not too thin leather for the uppers, these beauties will last and feel great. Pop an insole in there and you will not wanna take them off.

When you made your pair, op, did you use the duct tape template method?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.