[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to modify a music box to play an old midi I composed.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault (3).jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (3).jpg
11KB, 480x360px
I want to modify a music box to play an old midi I composed. I figured I would design the cylinder in a CAD program, 3D print it, use the 3D print as the basis for a bronze casting, and install it in an existing movement. But then I realized that the song has several notes played in quick succession, which means that one or more tines would have to be modified to play the same note. There doesn't seem to be anything about this online and I'm starting to think that it's just too difficult for someone without training to do.

Does any one have any experience with messing around with music boxes, getting small pieces cast, etc.?
>>
>>1131517
too difficult and too much failure point of a noob project, you gotta learn casting at small scale and make it accurate so it will fit into the box... yeah that is not very likely it will work first time, in fact you should expect fuck ups several times to get something complicated like this right

but for notes to play quicker, just make it go faster or salvage two music box and make them play together
>>
>>1131517
might be better off building the whole thing from scratch, might not be small but could be a nice art object in it's own right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoBGau9623I
>>
>>1131564
I really want to be able to build machines likes this

how do I become a master of mechanics
>>
>>1131598
go watch Clickspring on jewtubes
>>
>>1131626
thank you for that
>>
>>1131517
Cylinders are thin tin with punched holes right? Print of and poke with awl?

Any rate bumoing for progress.

>Gives wife music box
>it's Rick soinning in circles.
>mfw "never gonna give u up"
>>
File: Screenshot_20170215-145113.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170215-145113.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1131517
FOUND IT OP! MAKE LIKE THIS BUT MAKE FROM LEATHER? AND MAKE IT ROLL UP. maybe some other. Would be a fucking shoebox size but get or make a program that can do the dots and punch them. Gold.
>>
>>1131661
https://youtu.be/rvK83xglHGw. Fuck
>>
>>1131517
>hack an old printer.
>profit?
https://youtu.be/mXtJ42NgmBU
>>
Get several of the tines and put them on a rotating drum, then make electronically controlled pins to strum them when they rotate past. This way, you have a programmable music box, and it should be easier to do than making your own drum.
>>
>>1131661
>Like this but leather
That is a fucking amazing idea anon. Thank you.
>>
OP here. Man, am I glad DIY moves slowly. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I really appreciate the help.
>>
>>1132015
:) it's why i'm here bro. Hand awl thats sharp should be perfect for it.
>>
Personally I would suggest using thin sheet metal, punching the notes by hand, and then wrapping it around a cylinder.
>>
>>1131517
Forget about all of that. Get some round stock steel of the correct diameter, layout and drill small holes, then hammer in small tacks and clip them to length.
>>
Could you put a current through the thing so when one of the bits hits a bump on the wheel it creates a circuit and a buzzer sounds at the right pitch for each note?
>>
>>1131712
Why not just make a tab that strokes the tines and drop the drum altogether?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.