[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many legs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: pinepanel.jpg (541KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pinepanel.jpg
541KB, 1600x1600px
I want to make a table out of a piece of laminated pine - 2100mm (82") long x 900mm (35") wide x 30mm (1") deep.

Panel weighs 29kgs (64 lbs). (Pic related)

Using these IKEA adjustable legs. http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/20266678/#/70264304

Would one leg in each corner be enough to support that length without bowing or do I need to add a leg in the middle as well?
>>
File: olovlegadjustable.jpg (6KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
olovlegadjustable.jpg
6KB, 500x500px
Pic is leg.
Only info I could find on the weight load for these legs is if they are used with an Ikea table top max load is 50kgs (110 lbs) all together.

I want to use the table in an art studio for general use/projects painting, drawing, stretching canvases so it won't have anything too heavy on it permanently but I would like to be able to apply pressure and not worry about the table collapsing.

Any thoughts on whether this seems feasible would be appreciated. I don't have the tools to do anything more complicated
>>
File: table_sl_underside[1].jpg (327KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
table_sl_underside[1].jpg
327KB, 1024x768px
>>1131272
1 inch? No. Get some timber and build a box frame under the table top. Set it back from the edges a few inches on each side and place the legs in the corners of the frame. Like picture related, bit don't have the legs touching the table top because they won't be part of the frame.
>>
>>1131294
>1 inch? No.
Do you say that because of the weight? or because it's going to sag in the middle?

I don't have the tools to build a frame etc. I'm just trying to do this in the most basic way possible. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>1131281
I have those legs and they are kinda bendy in practice, on carpet though. I had them on an Ikea birch block table that's about 1". Pine is going to be softer, 2m is not going to work without support.
>>
File: diyconferencetableply.png (471KB, 627x545px) Image search: [Google]
diyconferencetableply.png
471KB, 627x545px
>>1131303
Ok thanks, do you think one extra leg in the middle would be enough, or does it need two?

I am a little worried about the legs not being sturdy enough because they're adjustable but I would prefer to use them if possible as I want the table lower than standard height.

Pic related is huge a conference table with 5 legs.
>>
>>1131312
Now that I think about it, I've had those legs on a solid wood floor too, and they are kinda annoyingly bendy. I wouldn't recommend them.

If you do something like your pic related I think that would be better.
>>
>>1131318
>they are kinda annoyingly bendy. I wouldn't recommend them.

Damnit that doesn't sound good. I was really hoping they might be sturdy enough. Did you have much weight on them?
>>
File: ikea.jpg (724KB, 1080x1568px) Image search: [Google]
ikea.jpg
724KB, 1080x1568px
>>1131324
Just this Ikea solid birch block. I use it as a coffee table now, propped up on speakers.
>>
>>1131330
hmm might have to reconsider them
>>
>>1131299
It is gonna sag, especially on the 2100 mm side. That is a very long distance to have unsupported by a frame.
>>
>>1131352
Would a leg in the middle be enough to stop it sagging? I don't have the tools to build an apron.
>>
>>1131363
You can literally buy a cheap drill and a box of wood screws to make a frame. At over 80 inches without a frame it will say. Applying load to legs mounted directly to the table will cause stress and cause tearing, bending, flexing, or a major failure.
>>
>>1131363
Probably not, no. Do you have a screwdriver and are not a limp wristed little girl? 8 screws and some wood are all you need to build a frame. Butt joints will be ugly but will work. Miters are better. If you do miters than put a block of wood in each corner and screw from the inside, through the block and into the backs of the frame. That will hide the screws and make it took nicer. It will also give you a good spot to attach the legs too. Predrilling is smart, as you are less likely to split the wood. The top doesn't even need to be that secure on the frame. The frame does all the work holding everything up.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.