[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this an air filter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170214-210248.jpg (1018KB, 1439x756px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170214-210248.jpg
1018KB, 1439x756px
Just bought a house. When I went to change the air filter, this was in its place. I've never seen a filter like it.
Is it a reusable filter?
>>
>>1131266
something you might find in a window AC or dehumidifier, haven't come across one for a furnace before
>>
I'm just a simple country chicken but that may be a washable filter screen, not necessarily a filter. I have one similar on our window a/c unit but for a furnace you should have something thicker or with more filtration.

You can measure it and go to the hardware store, see if there's anything comparable.
>>
>>1131270
>>1131271

Right? Obviously the guy who lived here before me used it as his filter.
It fits well. Better than a normal filter. I'll hit the hardware store and see if they carry anything thinker.
Thanks for the response!
>>
>>1131266
This is an indoor filter for a heat pump unit. The guy probably used it because the original filters weren't allowing enough airflow. Save it in case your new filter does the same.
>>
>>1131266
yeah that's just a washable screen. usually find them in AC units. they will catch a lot of pet hair and shit but they won't catch small particles like dust so they aren't suitable for a furnace
>>
>>1131276
>>1131280
There was a 16x25x1 filter in one of the closets. I tried to slide it into the filter slot, but it would lift once the unit started pulling in air.
I'll just hit the hardware store and find something thicker with the right airflow.
>>
>>1131282
if you can find the model you should be able to look it up and see what the right filter is. hell my furnace is an old wood/oil from the 60s and even it has tons of info online
>>
>>1131266
Is it an HVAC or just a heater? If it's just a heater you don't need a filter more complex than that. Heaters don't get clogged the was AC does. If it does have AC, then no, it's not enough filtration. AC coils cause condensation to form on them. Dirt and dust collect in the moisture and will eventually clog up your coils. This is why AC units need more filtration.

Window units don't have as much filtration because they are much, much easier to clean. You should clean them at least once a year.
>>
>>1131266
It's a pre-filter, to catch pet hair and shit so you don't have to change filters every week.

It goes in front of the filter, in case the 'pre' modifier didn't give it away.
>>
>>1131292
Its HVAC.
I pulled it out and threw another filter in. My only issue with it is that it lifts a bit when the unit starts pulling in air. Its the right size filter, i just need to make a clamp to keep it down.
>>
>>1131297
Ended up throwing the pre-filter on top of the other. It fits well now without any lift.
>>
>>1131266
>Is this an air filter?
That type of filter is sometimes supplied by the manufacturer already inside the furnace/air handler.

It's washable and does a reasonable job in spite of it's cheap appearance.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.