[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning earphones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: tmp_3899-1403381346414731.jpg (27KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_3899-1403381346414731.jpg
27KB, 800x600px
How does one properly clean this things? All the methods I've seen only use a cotton swab or a toothpick to clean the interior, but that only seems to push earwax and debris past the mesh, where residues build up over time.

I think I have a brilliant idea to clean them, but it involves submerging them in 96% alcohol.
The idea is to play a sine or square wave around 1khz (or higher frequency, since a lower frequency could be too much for the diaphragm to withstand) to dislodge the wax and get it out, thoroughly cleaning the interior.

I'm afraid the alcohol might damage something, would distilled water and a small amount of soap be a better soulution to do this?
>>
>>1130321

Take off the rubber covers and soak them in hydrogen peroxide

That's literally it.
>>
>>1130329
Isn't H203 a strong oxidizer though, even at 3%? I was hoping for a medium that won't react with the earphones and rely only on the vibration caused by the diaphragm to clean them.
>>
>>1130321
Fucking gross man.
If your buds are so dirty maybe you should throw them out and pick up a new pair for like 2$. Then go to the doctor and explain your are a tinky cunt that doesn't know how to wash behind his ears
>>
>>1130427
basically this.
>>
>>1130427
They're not even that dirty, it just bothers me that I can't clean them past the mesh.
Even if you wash your ears regularly there's still some crap that get's trapped behind there over the years.
>pick up a new pair for like 2$
Some of us prefer a good sounding pair of earphones, thus requiring a propper way of cleaning them, instead of trashing shitty ones every now and then.
>>
>>1130427
this.

If you got earwax buildup into the mesh screen, youre one dirty cunt who probably needs antifungal creme for ur gooch because its got white fuzz growing on beet red skin.

The problem is not how to clean your earphones, its how you are going to learn cleaning your fuckin ear canals. Buy Q-tips, use them. Then all you have to do is wipe the outside of the rubber off on your shoulders before you put them in each time.
>>
>>1130461
Read
>>1130456
I have an entire box of cotton swabs and I clean my ears at least twice per week after I shower. My earphones are as clean as they can be on the outside, the problem is moisture and other crap gets in over the years, even if you try to keep them as clean as possible, so there's not much you can do at that point.
>wipe the outside of the rubber off on your shoulders before you put them in each time.
I do this every time I take them off and put them on again.

I'll probably do some research on my earphones model and determine if it's safe to submerge them in alcohol, since all you guys are doing is to assume I'm a disgusting fuck.
>>
>>1130558
>twice a week

Well, I found your problem you fucking pig. Clean your ears every day after you shower, it takes about ten seconds to do a thorough job.
>>
>>1130321
>The idea is to play a sine or square wave around 1 kHz (or higher frequency, since a lower frequency could be too much for the diaphragm to withstand)
First of all, MIDDLE C is around 261 Hz, you ninny, and the amount of excursion is a function of both the frequency of the tone and the amount of power being passed into the driver (in terms of watts, but for your purposes we can just say signal or volume). Unless they are truly beyond garbage in terms of design, you will not be able to cause overexcursion at frequencies they are rated for, 20-24hz being the low end for average earbuds, without putting additional amplifiers in the signal path between the output of whatever you plan to play the tone from and the buds themselves.
Extended play of a single continuous tone can cause overheating, though, so don't let it go on for more than 20 seconds or so at a time, just in case. Even here you're very unlikely to see an issue.
>>
>>1130587
I meant my ear canals, I wash my ears every day, but I only use swabs once or twice per week, if I do ot more regularly they get sore to the point of bleeding and I could get an infection.
>>1130615
I ran a square wave sweep from 10 to 1khz for around half an hour, they came out pretty clean, I did not fully submerge them though, I only submerged the tip to dissolve all the crap stuck to the mesh.
I let them dry for a couple of hours, they work fine.
>>
>>1130620
You're doing it wrong. I clean in the canal with cotton swabs every single day, and they only ever got sore after going at it hard. Just a little twirl every morning is enough.
>>
>>1130321
Just use your tongue
>>
>>1130620
Yeah, I wouldn't expect a sweep to be a problem, just a single held tone, and that's still only if you're unlucky.
I'm assuming by 10 you mean 10 kHz, not Hz. If you're happy with how they came out, good, if not, don't be afraid to try something like a 40 to 200 Hz sweep instead.
>>
>>1130321
I know that feel. I clean my ears daily, but I guess I produce a lot of wax. I picked up a pair of Etymotics a while back. They have replaceable wax filters and sound amazing.
>>
>>1130558
you're going to fuck up your ears anon. Use a wax loop.
>>
Just take a toothpick and get the wax and gunk out. Then take a qtip, submerge in rubbing alcohol and swab out the tips and headphones. I do this about biweekly.
>>
Q-tips/Cotton Buds should under no circumstances be used to clean the inner ear. It's not worth the risks.
>>
>>1131239
Nevermind the fact it acts as an insecticide to repel bugs from your ear canal, and (depending on how much wax you actually produce) can cause infections by ramming wax deeper into your ear.

Sorry OP, its prime time here in Australia, and these faggots are proving the point. Your idea sounds solid, and isopropyl isn't going to hurt anything. Give it a crack, report results.
>>
>>1130456
>good earphones (but suffers from gross stuff)
Son, my cheap earphones came with filters and a replacement tool.
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mc5.html
>>
>>1131239
Ding ding ding.
Google cerumin impaction.
>>
>all these people telling op to use Q tips to clean his ears everyday

You're all fucking retarded.
It's bad and removing earwax everyday is just gonna make your ear produce more.
>>
>>1131246
I already did >>1130620 . It worked just fine, although I did not fully submerge the earphones, it was enough for the wax to dissolve, cleaning the mesh.
>>1131264
My earphones are worth 40$, I think they can be opened to reveal the cone, since there are some tabs below the metal ring which can be removed, although I didn't try that because I feared destroying them.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.