[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fascia board fear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: paper-wasp-in-pittsburgh.jpg (25KB, 800x438px) Image search: [Google]
paper-wasp-in-pittsburgh.jpg
25KB, 800x438px
Hey /diy/,
I moved into a fixer-upper house last year, one where the fascia/soffit boards are in poor condition from carpenter bees, regular wear, and water. This in and of itself doesn't bother me much- I knew they would have to be replaced eventually.

What DOES bother me are the massive, and possibly multiple, colonies of wasps (I've found yellow and black and brownish/red type wasps) that have made their way between the boards. I sleep in my attic, and originally I thought they were coming in through an unfinished portion with gaps that led to the outside. I fixed the gaps and haven't seen any more wasps INSIDE my house, but I can't open the window nearest to the back of my house because I see them constantly flying on warm days. They've gotta go, but I'm pants-shittingly terrified that I'm going to pull the nails out where the tin roof is tacked on, pull off the board, and get fucking killed by a billion wasps.

Please help. Should I seek professional assistance, or can I rip that sucker out if the weather is cold enough and let exposure kill them?

Pic related, it's the soulless bitch that's hiding in my roof
>>
>>1130202
Drill a hole through the exterior wall where you suspect the hive to be and spray a can of raid in.
>>
>>1130208

You mean through the soffit?
Is there a way to get a wide, rather than long, spray with that? I'm worried that the hive runs up and down the length of the boards and by killing a few of them I'll rile the rest. When they were getting into my attic, that was how they reacted, anyway.
>>
File: 06660763.jpg (82KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
06660763.jpg
82KB, 600x600px
Get a quality sprayer (pic) - cheap one won't work.

Fill the bottom reservoir with warm water. Add about 2 tablespoons of dawn (not "simply clean" bit the original ultra concentrate)

Go to town on any area the wasps might be. Use a mistier spray and they'll drop out of the air. Direct spray on nests.

It rips the pheromones off their bodies so they don't know wtf to do, and a combination of leeching and dehydration kills them shortly after.

Also, works great as a household cleaner (I haven't bought a name brand cleaner in years - just the mix and a microfiber) and you can mist nastier pots and pans before you start the dishes and they'll be loose when you get to them.

But back to the wasp issue - I'm a horticulturist, and this is what I use to fuck up wasps en masse.

If you're not worried about structure damage, you can use a 4 Tbsp mix or even just squirt pure dawn at trouble spots.

Don't use a bait trap. The bait attracts more than it kills.

Exposure WILL kill them, but take precautions and spray where you can before you put your dick in a guillotine.
>>
>>1130234
Forgot to say: swirl the dawn into the water, don't shake it up. Goal is no foam.
>>
>>1130236
>>1130234

Dude, that's brilliant. Thank you so much
>>
>>1130234
Im stealing this and keeping it saved for future reference
>>
>>1130202
so first suggestion is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytMcIpIRL3w

Don't squish any, squished wasps release aggression pheremones. Wasps are sleepy and slow when it's below 50 degrees, and pretty much can't fly when it's below 35 degrees. Fahrenheit, obv.
Also, Yellowjackets, OPs picture, reuse nest, but european hornets, look similar except more reddish yellow and 3" long instead of 1" long, don't. also they're super unaggressive, people keep them as pets, as long as you don't disturb the nest. Yellowjackets will fucking fight you for your dinner yo.
>>
Though in the cold season they are not a threat, prepare this before warm weather starts : Take several brown paper bags, stuff with paper, roll the paper in ball shapes 4-6 inches, crumbles with a narrow neck 4 in long attach string and hang them around your house everywhere. The stuffed paper bags resemble wasp nests and should prevent any colony from forming another nest nearby.
>>
>>1130202
Turn on a shop vac and stick it near the entrance. Leave it on all day. You will collect thousands of them and not have to spray neurotoxin.
>>
>>1130202
If you can watch them and find out where their entrance is, build one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17px2CYtHH0
>>
Set the house on fire and run.
File and insurance claim.

Blame it on some black kids down the road.

Problem solved.
>>
>>1130441
>>1130446
Thanks. I recorded a YouTube video to this effect a couple days ago and just need to edit and post it.

Haven't bought a non-glass household cleaner in years. You can mist and wipe plants that get spider mites. And you can mist down pots and pans before you start to wash dishes and it works the same as doing a full soak. Even works on varnishes if you wipe it dry right after.

Dawn + water is one of the handiest friggin things in my house.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.