[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(PIC NOT RELATED) FIREPLACE ISSUE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: CivilianDrunk.jpg (209KB, 640x730px) Image search: [Google]
CivilianDrunk.jpg
209KB, 640x730px
In my country, everyone uses boiler system for heating their house. BUt it is too expensive. My family paid more than 300 dollars just for heating entire house. Luckily we got big american style fireplace in my living room. Is anyone using fireplace(installed in the wall) for heating entire house? Fireplace can be substitute radiators? If it can, I am thinking about using fireplace instead
>>
unless the fireplace is in the middle of the house or connected to ducts it won't do a lot.
>>
>>1130177
>American style fireplace
>>
>>1130177
>Fireplace can be substitute radiators?
no, not unless there is a fireplace in every room, or it is a very small house
>>
File: American style fireplace.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
American style fireplace.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>1130195
You some kind of faggot?
>>
Fireplaces for heating are all about the bricks.

Ideally, you want proper air flow to circulate the warm air, and a heat exchanger.

I rented a house with a fireplace that had thick steel doors and turned the entire corner of the room into a heat stove. Couldn't be in the same room BC it was 95+ degrees (F) but the rest of the house was toasty.

For standard American style, you can get decent, but not great, heat if you use old wood. More if you've got glass doors that will increase air speed while supplying sufficient volume. This drastically increases resulting temps. It also decreases burn time, but the net effect is positive.

There's a lot of things you can do to increase fireplace efficiency. About the only one you won't see on google is setting up some stones in front of the fireplace.

In the end, though, it's likely that 1) the chimney isn't positioned for utility but for aesthetics, 2) you'll have to buy wood and it won't be aged, 3) the doors, if there, are for snuffing and not heating, and 4) the house's air flow won't work without paying $ for fans to circulate the air. End result - cheaper to pay for heat.

BUT - there's tons of shit you can do to cut heating cists that people don't do. $3 in peelable caulk can save you $100 over a winter by sealing windows. Use foam strips (sculpted with a utility knife) to make every door a good seal. Then do a smoke test (go around looking for drafts).

And if you're patient enough to make it look good, you can put plastic sheets over windows.

Legit - the average person can cut heating costs by half with a $20 trip to ace hardware.
>>
File: heatilatorparts[1].jpg (224KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
heatilatorparts[1].jpg
224KB, 500x700px
>>1130177
Single fireplaces, unless your house is one room, are basically decorative. If it's a living room fireplaces it is basically just there when you want to impress your lady and bone on the carpet without freezing. Or when company comes over (or maybe both, I don't judge). If it has fans built into the stonework (sometimes called a 'Heatilator', after the company, picture related) then you might have something. Just ghetto-rigging up some fans to it isn't the same thing, though. Probably just make your house smokey.

You might look into a fireplace insert that has a fan. Those fuckers will get your house cooking. They aren't cheap, though. Good ones cost a few grand with including the installation. If you are playing $300 a month they can pay for themselves in a few seasons, assuming fuel for them is cheap. Firewood/pellets are cheap as shit where I live so many people use them.
>>
File: IMG_20170213_093532.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170213_093532.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>1130177
>Luckily we got big american style fireplace in my living room
You mean the fireplace is open, when you burn shit in it you can touch the flames? Those are worthless.
As a northerner I find it entertaining that you have a heating bill of just 300monies. That's heating for one cold month here!

The proper way to heat with fire is pic related, a big pile of bricks. The hot gasess first rise in ducts up to the top and from there go back down and exit through the back in the chimney. The longer the gasess stay in the fireplace the more there is heat exchange.

We have a open fireplace at our summer place and boy does that thing eat wood for nonexistent heating! The fire needs to be contained and the heat needs to be extracted somehow. You can get off a bit more through by installing this:
http://www.minnajones.com/2014/12/the-new-fireplace-70-luvun-avotakasta.html?m=1

It is called a "takkasydän" and it heats the air in the house, not just spews hot air through the chimney and sucks cold in trough the walls, doors and windows.
>>
>>1130177

If you are asking can you heat radiators with an open fire the answer is pretty much no. The money spent on heat regulation is not worth it, and can potentially be dangerous.

Is your house well insulated? Is the appliance set up correctly?
>>
>>1130316
>bone on the carpet

it burrrrns
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.