[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electricity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: fusebox.jpg (89KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
fusebox.jpg
89KB, 480x640px
Hello /diy/

A few months ago, the electricity in my bedroom and a few outlets in another room would randomly go out for 5-10 minutes and then come back on. It was similar to a fuse popping except afaik there was no change in power demand, and the fuse for that area was never burnt out. Cut to a week ago, and the power has fully stopped working. I now have heavy duty extension cords running into the room for light, TV, etc. (pic is of a similar fuse box)

How do I* fix it?

I don't have much electrician experience other than changing fixtures and outlets but I am a fast learner and generally handy

*I cannot call a professional as my mom is a compulsive hoarder, calling anyone would mean my home getting immediately condemned, making me homeless
>>
>>1130076
You fucked son. If it ain't the fuses, which, wtf it's the 21st century, then it is the wires. If your house is so old that it is still using fuses then it is likely that you have old as hell wiring to go with it. You probably have a wiring failure.

>Hoarder
Or rats in your walls chewing on the wires.
>>
>>1130076
you need to rewire your whole house
>>
>>1130080
I actually don't have any pest problems other than a few mice in the winter. She mostly collects furniture and clothing and I try to be anal about keeping food in secure places.

What should I do? Is there literally no option?
>>
>>1130080
The house was built in the late 50's. Is it really that old?

>>1130081

Is that something a person with only general knowledge of Electrical work could do?
>>
>>1130089
you would need to hire a certified electrician for that
>>
I'd cut the power then check every connection to see if anything is loose (wire nuts? outlets? junction?). If that doesn't reveal anything, it would probably mean running new wires.
>>
>>1130095
also, if the power was randomly going on and off I'd be seriously concerned about something causing a short, ie. a serious risk of an electrical fire
>>
>>1130076
idk what that shit is for fuses (non-Murican) . but, assuming they are removable, swap non-working circuit with fuse for working circuit, see if fuse works (if needed).

Your problem (if not the fuse) is prbably a loose/corroded connection at the fuse panel. To fix this? you NEED to shut of the power - idk (no, really) how those fuckers are wired, whether its easy to disconnect or no, whether theres a main fuse, w/e. The fix is prob easy (and quick), electrician is also not gonna GAF what your house looks like - maybe someone who knows wtf is going on with those fuseboxes can advise, but otherwsie, call a spark, you really cant fix this (if loose at fusebox) without killing yourself, if no main fuse.
>>
>>1130089
It is possible for you to rewire your whole house; it is not probable that you will. It is not an easy job. Most, if not all, houses built in the 50's had a fuse box like that when built, but most were converted to breakers by the late 80's, so no, your house is not "that old." You're going to be paying an electrician anyway (the box will have to be connected to incoming mains power, pay a real electrician to do that) so you might as well find one you trust and ask him about rewiring while you're researching. This is assuming you convert to breakers.
>>
>randomly go out for 5-10 minutes and then come back on.
This could be dangerous and could start a fire.
Disconnect everything on that circuit, better yet pull the fuse until you find the problem.

I'd start by pulling the cover off the fuse box.
1)Look at the connections for any corrosion or signs of getting hot.
2)Pull the fuse and inspect the socket,
3)Figure out which circuit it is and follow the wire to junction boxes (or just connections)

A $10-$15 meter or simple test light could help you track it down. The outlets could still have some low voltage. Have someone watch the voltage meter for changes as you jiggle connections. You might need to plug in a small load if the outles reads good with nothing connected.
>>
>>1130110
>This could be dangerous
>I'd start by pulling the cover off the fuse box.

ayy - underneath that fuse cover is going to be live, very live indeed, regardless how many fuses you fucking pull. Telling someone who doesnt know wtf they are doing to pull the cover off a live fusebox and start fannying round with meter probes? - this is fucking ludicrous 'advice', srsly.
>>
>>1130116
According to OP
>changing fixtures and outlets but I am a fast learner and generally handy
>I cannot call a professional

What's your helpful advice? Do without?
>>
>>1130076
>I cannot call a professional as my mom is a compulsive hoarder, calling anyone would mean my home getting immediately condemned, making me homeless

This is exactly the type of content i have come to expect on all boards of 4chins.
>>
Op tell your mummy to clean up her fucking mess while you handle some business if she can't handle that turn her over to the looney bin and get this shit fixed. Don't fucking enable her
>>
OP here. After reading all the replies, I want to clarify that the wiring in the room is 5-6 years old but connected to the old box. I took my test meter and just put it in and around the boxes in my room. There are 3 outlet boxes, a ceiling fixture box, and a switch connected to the ceiling fixture. I know one of the outlet boxes was disconnected by an actual electrician when we bought the house because he couldn't rewire it for whatever reason. of the two remaining outlet boxes, one is making the meter beep, the other is not. The light fixture and switch both beep. Should I assume the issue is with the outlet box that doesn't beep?
>>
>>1130128
my advice? - gave it above - 'dont get dead' would probably be summary. In which case, they gonna have to come into the house to remove OPs charred remains anyway, unless Mom stuffs him in a jar in the cupboard for future consideration of the problem.

Having also made the assumption, nothing on this circuit works, and OPs checked that fact, I will now decide not to make assumptions - OP, if you pull that fuse, does _anything_ else stop working ? (switch/socket/whatever) - would probably be the nearest thing to fusebox on that circuit. And if anythings still working, your problem aint at fusebox, start at the last thing that works (on that circuit) and find the first that dont, problem be inbetween.

Otherwise, as said, idk enough about those fuckers - have you got a big on/off switch anywhere? A main fuse? If so? you golden, switch off main power to the fusebox, check your non-working line for waggle/corrosion, Otherwise, you working on a live fusebox, you remove that cover - I wouldnt, you prob. kill yourself, my colleague here disagreees, its your life, etc. As also said, electricians GUARANTEED seen worse, get paid, go home, and DGAF how you live, honestly.
>>
>>1130150
above was cross post -

the 'stuff that still beeps' may actually be wired to another circuit, is the problem.
find and pull the fuse for the circuit that doesnt work. Again.
does anything additoaaly stop working, or no longer beep when you do that? If so, problem aint at fusebox, last thing that works, first thing that dont, problem is inbetween, and you have a meter, go find.
>>
>>1130153
Thank you for that advice. Do you mean physically closest to the fusebox or wired closest?If you mean wired, how do I figure out which boxes are closest to the fusebox?
>>
>>1130159
I'm going to to wait until tomorrow when I'm home alone to find and disconnect the right circuit and see if anything is still beeping. What's the correct terminology for the outlets that beep? Live?
>>
>>1130076
>hoarder

well unless teh house is a health risk, then theres nothing wrong with being overstuffed. also i doubt an electrition would report anyhting anyhow they dont give a fak
>>
File: mm1000.jpg (208KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mm1000.jpg
208KB, 1000x1000px
>>1130190
get yourself a proper multimeter
>>
>>1130190
the house is a total health risk. Probably mold somewhere I can't find. Not as big of a health risk as being homeless though.
>>
>>1130076
>A few months ago, the electricity in my bedroom and a few outlets in another room would randomly go out for 5-10 minutes and then come back on. It was similar to a fuse popping except afaik there was no change in power demand, and the fuse for that area was never burnt out.

>>1130089
>The house was built in the late 50's. Is it really that old?

The House I'm about to move out of is early-mid 50s however it had breakers but it was the main breaker with poor contact and over time the poor contact got worse due to arcs to the distribution bar and similar things were happening as you described.
>>
OK if you want to do everything in your power, cut all power to your home , an start checking connections , and I mean all of them every light switch and outlet , evemn the thermostat a/c and washer connection, make sure everything is tight , nothing is causing a short and there no cracks in wire coating , also go into your attic and do the same thing, keep in mind you might find something like fried mice carcass fusing 2 wires together , look also for anything singed or corrosion, you may also have something stupid like water condensing on your ac and dripping on a juncture box, also check the juncture box as well for anything listed above , if you find a short clear it , maybe use some electrical tape as an insulator and use it to cover all cracks in the coating you find then put shit back together and turn thing on one at a time by putting in the fuses 1 by 1 starting from least to most likely to be the problem, you might've fixed the problem or at least learn where the problem is and if its possible just leave that area without power and use some extension cables to get power back in there , beyond that, call an eletrician
>>
Tell you are mum that she has to choose between getting rid of her junk or your house burning down. Don't end up like Chris Chan.
>>
Simple question OP, are your cables sleeved in plastic or coton/ other shit?
Fuses are a pain in the ass. Even lead cables are easier ( yes, I had those).
As an anon said, arcing can corrode your contactors. Watch for green copper. If you find some, file it away, after cutting the power of course. If you see signs of heat, it is sign that a cable is not tightened enough and it can, and will, cause a fire.
Tl,dr, get a proper 30mA breaker at least for the partof the house that is failing. As I live in Fr, we use 220v so I have no idea of the current your breaker should handle
>>
>>1130472
>gives advice
>doesn't even know the right mains voltage
>>
>>1130483
Ffs I use mono phased 220v like 75% of the EU. Yes I know that it is the Max/sqrt2. But OP may live in Murica using 110V or Norway, but don't quote me on that, using biphased current
>>
>>1130490
>220v like 75% of the EU
educate yourself
>>
>>1130491
Then educate me. I'd love to learn from a true electrician
>>
>>1130500
230V
>>
>>1130501
Thank you good sir.
If you are from 'murica, may I know what breakers do you use? Here it's typicaly 16A for your normal wall plug so is it 32A there to get the same power?
>>
>>1130169
UPDATE.

I shocked the shit out of myself and have therefore given up. I'll call a professional. The area I think the problem is in is clean and so is my room so they'll understand I'm not a disgusting human being, I just came out of one
>>
>>1130089
Let's hope your house is piped, but it's probably not unless you live near Chicago.
>>
>>1130141
This is the only good piece of advice in this thread. Where are the homeowners anyway, and why is their son left to figure it out?
>>
>>1130076
>few outlets in another room would randomly go out for 5-10 minutes and then come back on.
Sounds like a loose connection that would become an open in the circuit via heating, as it cooled it reconnected and the power came back on.

It's now a full open circuit wherever this lose connection is. If you don't have any idea how electricity works in your house you're fucked. Call an electrician or a friend who's smarter than you.
>>
>>1130662
Why not move out?
>>
>>1130102
My mom and dad rewired my grandmother's house and it was built in like the damn 30's.
>>
>>1130989
Cool, it's probably a good thing you did. This OP couldn't check an outlet without making sure it's not live, so I'm glad I posted that he should call an electrician at least to hook up mains power when he replaced his fuse box with a breaker box, if he even tried to rewire the house himself anyway.
>>
>>1130150
>when we bought the house
Who owns the house ? You or your mom ?

if it's your tell your mom that's your house your rules and she can GTFO if there's a problem.

>the wiring in the room is 5-6 years old
>electrician couldn't rewire plug for whatever reason
ask *another* electrician to finish the job and put a brand new breaker panel : chances are he will say his colleague was a faggot, and made his best job to ensure you spread the word about that faggot being a fucking faggot.
Then call the power company to get a modern main-breaker because chances are that it's current breaking rating (or whatever you call it in 110V shit tier countries) is to high regarding actual security standards

if it's your mom's, call the power company's STASI so they shut the current until the installation is upgraded to comply to last safety standards
>>
>>1131409
>and made his best job
*make
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.