[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a Carpentry job without being a Union Stooge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Middle American Wizard.jpg (313KB, 983x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Middle American Wizard.jpg
313KB, 983x1600px
Hey /dyi/. Posting this here since I figure this board has the greatest concentration of Carpenters

I'm in a 'pre-apprentice' training program in N. California which is put on by various unions and the state. I'll be able to get my OSHA 10 and 40 cert. through them for free.

Problem is, it seems like they ONLY work with unions and I am not interested in working with a union at all.. family wants to get into home flipping so, no need for collective bargaining. Would rather just get hands on experience for 4 years instead of "climbing a latter".

What should I do? Complete this program, pick up as much training as possible and show up at smaller family operations and apply there? Show up to job sites?
>>
why are you planning to approach smaller family operations or to show up at job sites if you don't need a union because your family wants to flip homes? do... do you know what a union is?
>>
>>1129910
I need related experience. Unions here frown upon people taking side work in downtime and encourage unemployment insurance.

Believe it or not, even if my family has money to invest, they want me to prove myself to be worthy of their investment.

Explain to me why a Union would be "beneficial" for my work?
>>
>>1129923
I live in Northern California. It's a 'weak unions' state and unions are somewhat uncommon outside of certain fields (government, teachers, health care, etc). It is no 'right to work' state, but it is further in that direction than other states. Some places, you don't even go to work. You show up at the union hall and the employer comes to you. There are plenty of places around here that are non-union. Almost all of the smaller operations are. See if you can find a place that does things like additions and renovations. Those are generally done one at a time by small crews. Don't show up somewhere where they are building a whole tract of houses or something.
>>
>>1129889
I found that image very interesting. I used Google image search to look up it up. It is the original art to the book "The Time of the Dark" by Barbara Hambly. That got me looking to the reviews, which are positive. I guess I know what I am reading next.
>>
>>1129923
Why does the union need to know about your side jobs?
>>
>>1130029
Because when you they call you to work, and you're on a side job... What are you going to tell them? They frown upon it because they need you to be their employee on command. That's why they encourage taking UI and sitting on your ass while waiting. No thanks!

>>1129998
Yeah there are a lot of renovation companies here... Thanks for the advice
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.