[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My grandmother recently gifted my fiancé and I a signet ring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2366.jpg (9KB, 172x187px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2366.jpg
9KB, 172x187px
My grandmother recently gifted my fiancé and I a signet ring that belonged to my great-grandfather. The man obviously had shovel hands because it's rather large.

Her intention is that we use it for our wedding rings, but neither of us like full yellow gold rings. We've seen plenty of rings where yellow/white/rose gold all feature, but they're separate bands with obvious seams. Is there any particular reason why we couldn't have yellow gold sandwiched between two white gold bands without a seam?
>>
File: shaking.png (784KB, 1382x586px) Image search: [Google]
shaking.png
784KB, 1382x586px
>>1129623
novice jeweler here.

lots of rings have white gold seamlessly touching yellow gold. white gold is often used as a solder. look around the diamonds on some of your rings, you should see white gold.
>>
>>1129632
That's good to know it's possibe, I've only ever seen the banded crap in the high street jewellers around me.

Is it a case of imagination is the limit with regards to how we can utilise the signet ring in a new piece?
>>
>>1129635
>Is it a case of imagination is the limit with regards to how we can utilise the signet ring in a new piece?
you can copy the signet using wax moldings. a decent jeweler aught to be able to cut the signet off the larger ring and attach it to any think you want, so yes you can turn this ring into a new ring.

depending on how much gold is used in the ring, you may be able to melt down part of it and make a simple band for your wife.
>>
File: IMG_2367.jpg (13KB, 168x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2367.jpg
13KB, 168x168px
>>1129637
Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. We'd like to melt the signet ring down completely and have it as part of something like pic, just without the obvious seam where the two metals meet.
>>
>>1129640
Also, I'm aware that's just a rendering, but you get my point.

Thanks for any help in advance.
>>
File: titanium_ring_prismlr669.jpg (29KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
titanium_ring_prismlr669.jpg
29KB, 470x470px
>>1129640

You could also have something like this done. I assume they simply machine a slot in the platinum ring and cast the gold into it in a mould.
>>
>>1129645

Oops, meant titanium.
>>
>>1129645
Shit, that's ideal. Would the slot and cast method work with other metals?

Also, since I'm on a roll with showing how naive I am about jewellery in general, what happens to any of the gold from the signet ring that's left over? Spoils of war, as it were, to the jeweller?
>>
>>1129653
Nome of my business but please ask grandma if she'd be okay with melting it down anon.
>>
>>1129623
No advice, OP - sorry.

Just came to say the thumbnail of your pic looks like you're trying to mount a TIE-Fighter onto a wedding ring.
>>
>melting down a nearly 100 year old antique ring
>>
>>1129655
>Her intention is that we use it for our wedding rings

She's cool with it, it was her idea.

>>1129717
The only value in it is the gold price, it's a run of the mill signet ring with the engraving worn smooth that lingers in a drawer. By melting it down and using it for wedding bands it becomes something more significant.
>>
>>1129666
Satanic trips speaks truth...
>>
>>1129809
>melting down a signet ring
I don't think you understand what ''signet'' means
Don't fucking melt it you goddamn idiot
>>
>>1129666
I WAS JUST COMING TO TYPE THIS!!
>>
>>1129623
"He's heading for that small moon..."
>>
>>1129809
>it becomes something more significant.
a worn antique and family heirloom is more significant than a couple of wedding rings are to a couple that 1. does not want rings made of that metal and 2. will probably get divorced
>>
You sound like everything that's wrong in this world, OP.

Either decline taking the ring from Grandma, or wear it proud. I know she doesn't know about what you plan on doing with the ring. If you had to ask DIY, you didn't tell the whole truth the her. And you're probably gonna get divorced. You don't sell or melt down passed down rings. Have some god damn respect.
>>
Sentimental value lies in myth and tradition, not in the object.

The ring might be some piece of shit he won in a poker game and dumped in the drawer two months later. By inventing a myth about it and creating a family tradition you can make something more of it of course.

Then again you can create a family tradition to use old family jewellery in wedding rings as well. It's all just an arbitrary link to the past based on arbitrary rules.
>>
Give me the ring instead OP. I'll actually wear and keep it in good condition forever
>>
>>1129623
>this level of autism over a ring

Just take a basic fucking gold ring and be done with it, onto the cupboard it goes after the wedding.
>>
>>1129623
>an heirloom signet ring
>lets melt it down to make shit from it
I hate you, and your grandmother is a retard.
>>
Can you at least please post a picture of it before you destroy a living piece of history? Sounds cool
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.