[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a gizmo for my motorcycle Basically I want an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
I want to make a gizmo for my motorcycle

Basically I want an airplane to follow me

I need a material that can be a long, either flat or round stick/pole... maybe 4-7 feet long... that can bear about a 1/2 lb weight totally cantilever.

The idea is that this airplane will dangle on a limp cantilever until my motorcycle is moving, at which point the airplane generates lift and flies.

I was thinking something like a fishing pole, but those I found at my local walmart or dunhams sports were too stiff. I dont know a lot about fishing rods so their might be a special kind out there that would do the trick...

In any case I guess the material is more important than the fishing rod. Anyone got any idea for a material or a product I can get a hold of that would work for this?

>pic related, rooster tail the thing would look like at a stop light, just hanging limp off the back of the bike
>>
>>1129155
follow up question:

What is the title, or what kind of credentials would I seek in someone who I could ask about shit like this? About... materials.

Some guys on youtube seem to know all about this kinda stuff but... would I look for a person in the pastics industry? In like... product fabrication? I dont know if its necessarily a plastic even...

I have literally no clue
>>
Why would you just not use a drone that you can set to follow you at a specific angle/distance?
>>
File: 1439679553703.jpg (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439679553703.jpg
143KB, 600x600px
>>1129155
>>
>>1129155
so basically, a kite

so it is a problem of engineering the pole and the string and the kite itself to be strong enough to bash around while your car is moving basically

you will want everything to be made from thin sheets of metal, perhaps aluminium, because it will be bashing around and against itself and the car

you will want it to be small enough so it wont cause a huge safety issue

to start with, why not tie a string to a paper plane and see how it behaves approximately, then go from there

but for a car, you are talking about 0-80mph and anything in between, no kite will be able to stay afloat with that kind of wild range, best you can do is make something that dangles and will just be aerodynamic enough and light enough to follow the car just from the wind, forget about an actual kite or generating lift from the wind, you want something light that dangles and no more
>>
>>1129267
>Drone battery dies while you're riding
>Never find it again

>Drone is too big and hits things

>Drone is too small and can't keep up with a motorcycle (even the best consumer drones would struggle to keep up with a Prius)
>>
>>1129284
In what way is this constructive? If you have nothing but shitpost to contribute, minimize the thread and fuck off, Ideally, to another board altogether.
>>
>>1129155
If you had a retraction system that would pull the plane in when stopped and let wire out when you're in motion, it wouldn't be dragging along on the ground and hitting cars all the time. A spring powered winch of some sort
>>
>>1129155
>>1129374

Oh so you're wanting the airplane to be connected directly to the end of the pole?

Cb radio antenna might work. Could do double duty as a radio antenna too
>>
>>1129155

helium balloons
>>
>>1129387
Came in to post this. Lol
>>
>>1129309
Yeah kind of a kite, calibrated to be "at altitude" by 25mph

I would make it so the lift generated at like... 70mph or 100 wouldnt make it go any higher

Maybe have a little turbine in it with an arduino that can move flaps/wings around based on the registered RPM.

also I could make the cantilever so that it cant bend past a certain point
>>
>>1129387
i actually tried this already. i tried to do that exact photo with my motorcycle

They sell a mylar missile balloon at dollar stores, so I bought a few and bought a helium tank from a party story.

The balloons were too heavy to lift the mylar even filled with helium =/

>>1129375
yes, the plane would be connected to the pole. as the plane generates lift, it lifts up into flight position. when the vehicle its attached to slows, the pole goes limp and it dangles like a rooster tail

I need a material that can be the pole with the right flex properties.
>>
File: rocketbaloon2.jpg (131KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rocketbaloon2.jpg
131KB, 563x1000px
>>1129387
lol found it. had to scour for a pic.

tried to use a second balloon to lift it -just- to see if even that'd work.

rode around, was super gay and flopped all over the place
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.