[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucked up with drywall screws.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: 20170210_200708.jpg (2MB, 5589x3327px) Image search: [Google]
20170210_200708.jpg
2MB, 5589x3327px
This is a fuck up from me and me not researching enough on this, but I was trying to hang up this guitar mount and I made the holes too big and the mount itself is wobbling around, it's not secure to the wall at all.

What should I do here? Is there some kind of adhesive thing I can get? I don't think screwing new holes would fix anything and I wanna cover those holes up somehow. What's my course of action here? Thanks.
>>
>>1129140
>What should I do here?
Google shit before you do it. Drywall will never hold that weight, neither will adhesives. you need to shoot for a beam.

Google how to patch a hole in drywall.
>>
>>1129144
>To hang a fucking guitar.
lol, no, drywall can handle it just fine with anchors. OP just drilled the holes to big, and needs to now patch the holes in the wall, Redrill new holes with the CORRECT sized pilot holes, screw in new anchors, and he's done.
>>
File: molly.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
molly.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
>>1129140
Larger anchors should do it. You might consider getting some molly bolts. If you find some that fit, you can use the holes you have.
>>
File: 036296502751.jpg (91KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
036296502751.jpg
91KB, 900x900px
>>1129147
>drywall can handle it just fine with anchors.
my thought too

can probably use same holes, just get pic related

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-5-Pack-0-25-in-x-0-3125-in-Standard-Drywall-Anchors/3183711
>>
>>1129144
>you need to shoot for a beam.
>beam
maybe don't give advice
>>
>>1129173
The anchors used in OPs picture are more than fine for the application, op just f'd up and oversized the pilot holes and the anchor threads didn't have enough drywall to bite into and secure into the wall.

If you install those anchors correctly, you would have to put your body weight on them to rip them out/take a chunk out of that drywall.
>>
>>1129186
Hit post too soon.

OP, if you don't want to patch the holes, the other anon knows whats up - use the different anchors.
>>
>>1129147
>lol, no, drywall can handle it just fine with anchors
Well, it will hold it just fine until he accidentally jerks on it the wrong direction, or it snags his shirt on it as he walks past in a hurry...
Plan for dynamic load and accidents. Or you'll just be patching a hole in the future and looking for a stud.
>>
>>1129173
>>1129188
This may seem like a dumb question, but would those anchors work if it was horizontal? There are two screws on top of eachother and I dont think there'd be enough room for both if they were vertical.
>>
>>1129192
Knee-grow, have you ever installed a drywall anchor? If you ran into something that was properly secured into standard drywall, you will know it, it will punch you back, hard.

And unless OP is a midget, he is hanging the guitar neck mount up, at a minimum of, 5.5'. If he catches anything on that mount, he will have a gnarly shiner in his shoulder or bicep.

Yes, he could look for an off centered stud. However, sometimes that won't work for what you are doing and you need to rely on proper drywall anchor mounting. If OP installs the anchors correctly the second time, he can easily hang a 8lb guitar from drywall ya pleb...
>>
>>1129262
It doesn't matter if vertical or horizontal. It's all surface area. But this is diy, so you might as well learn to patch up your fuck up on the drywall. And then you can reinstall the original drywall anchors a few inches left or right of your original mounting location.
>>
>>1129192
And as long as I'm here, it's called a stud, jr...
>>
>>1129262
you can put them anywhere, in any orientation
>>
>>1129264
>Knee-grow, have you ever installed a drywall anchor?
Yeah, and I have to re-install them all the time after repeated minor collisions rip a chunk out of the wall.
Last one was my own fault, I tripped, flailed, and grabbed a towel rack in the bathroom we were working on-- guess what it was just in the drywall... ripped it right out, left a nice hole, and still landed on my ass.
>>
File: imgpsh_fullsize.jpg (59KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
imgpsh_fullsize.jpg
59KB, 675x1200px
>>1129173
Used this to anchor it, thanks for the help!
>>
>>1129273
i got your back anon. i put in drywall screws all the time, screws, anchors, toggles, you name it. i haven't pulled one out personally but i have seen the results and if it fucks up it makes a mess. i wouldn't use them in my own house, just as easy to go into a stud and less fannying around.
>>
>>1129147
>drywall can handle it just fine with anchors

At *LEAST* use molly/toggle bolts, not anchors.

Much better to just locate a stud and screw it into the stud.
>>
>>1129273
>Last one was my own fault, I tripped, flailed, and grabbed a towel rack in the bathroom

A clumsy lard-ass like you would probably rip one out of a stud too.
>>
>>1129192
>Well, it will hold it just fine until he accidentally jerks on it the wrong direction, or it snags his shirt on it as he walks past in a hurry...
Retarded argument. With this reasoning, nothing can be hung on a wall because of potential snagging.

>>1129273
>I tripped, flailed, and grabbed a towel rack in the bathroom
Towel racks aren't meant to hold human weight. You sound like a walking disaster if everything you see is a potential grab hold in case you fall.
>>
>>1129654
>>1129700
Right, I forgot-- if it stays together long enough to take a picture for bragging, it's good enough for /diy/.

Please, tell us how we can do it even cheaper using only materials scavanged from a dumpster.
>>
>>1129154
This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Better with an application gun but not essential. Plenty videos on the net showing 'how to'. Google 'rawlplug interset'.
>>
>>1129192
>10 reasons why nothing can be attached and hung from drywall
>Number 7 will shock you
>>
>>1129140
https://youtu.be/EXhDlDBzXjY
>>
A bit offtopic, but are drywalls so widely used in the US?

It seems odd to me, but I'm also from a country where houses and apartments usually are build from bricks on the exterior, and concrecte walls in the interior.
>>
>>1130383
drywall is used because they dont use concrete walls on the interior
>>
>>1129273
This happened to me too, and I was just a skinny little kid. Drywall anchors are for hanging framed pictures/posters, not supporting any real load.
>>
>>1130383
a foundation might be made of concrete blocks, and a basement might be left unfinished so the blocks would be exposed, but for living spaces, drywall would be added to the framed walls
>>
Honestly, I've even managed to rip screw anchors out of steel-beton walls just by trying not to fall ( inb4: I weigh like 60 kg and those were 8mm in a proper sized hole)

So if you have talent, you can break everything
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.