[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Installing Window in Sheetrock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 2017-02-10 09.51.57.jpg (550KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-10 09.51.57.jpg
550KB, 2048x1152px
Hey /diy/kes, quick question. I wanna put a small window in a wall. I got a 'new construction' type vinyl window, and the outside of my house is stucco.

Can I just cut the stucco to the exact size of the window and screw/nail the window flange into the stucco (with felt paper/flashing/caulk), or should I rip the stucco out enough that I can nail the window into the frame (with felt/flashing/caulk) and then glob stucco back in around it?

I'm lazy, but I also want the window to be okay. I don't really care what it looks like, I just want a decent seal.

Thanks fellas.
>>
File: 2017-02-10 09.52.21.jpg (521KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-10 09.52.21.jpg
521KB, 2048x1152px
OP is hole in sheetrock, attached ist das Fenster.
>>
>>1128979
making a hole in the wall without reinforcing the structure around is fucking suicide
>>
No you should frame the window properly and then flash it properly or there's a good chance your wall is going to rot out if your home doesn't have eaves. The issue is expansion and contraction of dissimilar materials and globbing in stucco is going to look like shit and most likely crack and or damage the window.
>>
>>1128982
Tiny hole, and I am gonna frame it. Thanks though.

>>1128983
'Glob' was kind of a joke. I meant I would flash and nail the window into the frame and and then just spatula enough stucco on the outside to bring the existing stucco in to the edge of the window.

Thanks guys.
>>
File: 1485566727912.png (10KB, 275x142px) Image search: [Google]
1485566727912.png
10KB, 275x142px
>>1128984
>spatula the stucco
>>
>>1128984
By frame it, he means enough to carry the load to the top plate by the ceiling, not just make a picture frame of wood around the inside.

You have to remove all the drywall, and add sticks in to frame appropriately.
>>
>>1128979
Google how to frame a window in new construction. That is what the frame around the window will need to look like. That is step one. If you skip that step then every step you take after that is eventually going to fail on you.
>>
>>1129183
imma spawn 10 tornadoes on your house
then zone the area around it dense inustrial
>>
You'll need to cut a much larger hole in the wall on the inside to add a header and jack/trimmer studs on each side to carry the load of the stud that you removed. A new construction window is pretty much useless for you since you aren't doing new construction. The nail fin on the outside will just cause new problems and we both know that you aren't going to use any flashing tape and do it correctly.

You can cut the stucco pretty much the same size as the exterior frame and keep it close enough to just need a bead of caulking around the exterior of the frame, but there will be more Sheetrock work on the inside than you were planning on. You also are relying on only caulking to keep water from getting in around the window on the outside, which will work for some time but once it fails there isn't any redundancy or flashing like a typical correctly installed window.

And that's not even the biggest things that you are going to fuck up
>>
>>1129236
It also will mean taking out a lot more drywall, but it's the only way to make sure that it won't collapse the side of your house and/or fail inspection.

>inspection?
That's right, I would check local laws, because most places will require a permit and inspection for putting a window or door where there didn't used to be one. Your $50 window just turned into a $400 project. Alternatively, just make sure that you do it right, and nobody will probably notice. If it ever comes up, you can claim it was like that when you moved in.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.