[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Must I do it myself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 61up82BVLmL__SL1300_.jpg (94KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
61up82BVLmL__SL1300_.jpg
94KB, 1300x1300px
Greetings /diy/ masters

I'm putting together a soldering station and was hoping to do a little more custom work than a normal "helping hands" model.

The design I'm going for involves more arms, the only problem I'm facing is, where do I get more of the ball joints from? I can't seem to find them anywhere, and I really don't want to purchase a single kit every time just to get a couple joints

If there really is no place to buy them then I suppose I can machine them but that will take much longer

Anyone know where one can obtain these joints?
>>
Those joints are shitty anyway, you can probably come up with a better design.
>>
>>1128770
http://www.instructables.com/id/Third-Hand-A-multi-use-helping-hand-for-electro/
>>
File: attachment[1].jpg (89KB, 938x704px) Image search: [Google]
attachment[1].jpg
89KB, 938x704px
>>1128770
I made one of these. You can get the parts on Amazon. It's super simple and works great.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?5406-DIY-4-Arm-Helping-Hands-Solder-Tool
>>
I actually do use the CNC tubes for one of my helping hands, they are very useful

The design however I'm using involves tricky and very hot soldering, and I'm a little worried the CNC tubes I use as arms will melt, even if they have alligator clip teeth, because heat transfers

hence the metal design, so that it can abate as much heat as possible.

The metal design would also allow me to use a torch and welding tools
>>
$4 at HF with coupon, it's going to be hard to beat that
>>
>>1128770
Thick coper wire is cheaper and easier to use than joints.
>>
>>1128798
I've been wanting to get some of these. How stiff are the arms?
>>
>>1129007
It will also snap eventually
>>
>>1129008

I have some of the stuff for my CNC router's coolant.

They're plenty stiff. You'd need either a very large or a very heavy PCB to move them.
>>
>>1129009
Yeah a long time down the road. Then its another $.03 of scrap.
Wut?
>>
>>1129009
When it starts feeling brittle, heat it with a blowtorch until it's red hot and let it cool naturally. It will become soft again.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.