[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not ready to euthanize my subwoofer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Snapchat-655673654.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-655673654.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
Hello all. I have a KLH 12 inch subwoofer with a new to me issue. I know they are not high quality by any standard but it met my needs. The first issue was that the subwoofer lost power and played very quietly. I inspected the boards and components and found 1 of the two large capacitors had died. I replaced both with ones of exact same values. Now i happen to get this popping that increases with volume. I would love a new sub woofer but I am not ready to give up on this one. I know for a fact something with the plate amp is causing this and I would like your opinion on what i should check next. The sub now plays loud again but creates a tone similar to a single kernel of corn popping in a microwave.

so far these parts are in stable condition:
►RCA input cable
►Subwoofer
►Cap's solder points are healthy
►Cables going to sub are connected well and healthy
►Have it plugged into a healthy open outlet

I recently added Ethernet over power to my house before i had replaced the caps. I am very open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Ryan.
>>
Here is a video of what it sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ze3Ex4lQCk
>>
>>1128418
>I recently added Ethernet over power to my house before i had replaced the caps. I am very open to any suggestions.

If you can go without internet for a bit, I'd suggest turning off your router or something to see if the problem persists. Although I have no experience with it personally, I've heard that ethernet over mains interferes with some HiFi equipment.
>>
Turn off the EoP, the noise should go away.
EoP is known to cause interference, so it's better to lay wiring properly or to use wifi than use EoP.
>>
File: DSCN3371a.jpg (415KB, 2044x1516px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3371a.jpg
415KB, 2044x1516px
>>1128418
No matter what happens, you can normally just patch shit up or replace a simply part on a sound system to fix it. I mean look at this shit. It sounded like a glass pack on a truck driven by a 16yo through a high school parking lot. A little D•U•C•T T•A•P•E and 2 years later it sounds great though a little deeper than before.

Oh and check the speaker for cracks obviously. Popping is a good sign of that when there's lots of bass.
>>
OP here. Ripped all Ethernet over power devices out of outlets in my house. Fired up some music and still get the same result. After finding no diagnosis to the popping I took it to my friends house and found the same popping on every outlet I plugged into. When i had the amp out of the sub box during capacitor installation i noticed the board looked dark around a cluster of 3 resistors. They all passed and my multi meter displayed their corresponding resistance.

So there must be another component on the PCB that went down with the cap that i cant spot. I hope someone else can chime in. Can take it apart again and post more images.

Thanks all.

For an update:

►Darkened area around 3 resistor cluster ( resistors and solder points appear and test well)
►Have tried different source devices and cables to no avail
►Have tried other outlets and even another house haha
►Wired subwoofer to car audio amplifier and confirmed sub is healthy
>>
>>1129105

You can replace those foam rings. It's quite tricky though, if it's too far off center the foam will pull the speaker off center as well and your center diaphram thingy (not really an expert on this if you couldn't tell) will wear or prevent the speaker from moving, but the foam rings are dirt cheap.
>>
>>1129431
True, but I don't need it personally. When I looked for that one, the size was some retarded in-between size that no one had in stock. Though, I still don't actually need it.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.