[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thermal Grill Illusion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 1331-04[1].jpg (230KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1331-04[1].jpg
230KB, 1200x900px
Hey /diy/,

I'm working on building a "pain box" using the thermal grill illusion. I plan on using this design:
https://hackaday.io/project/6577-dune-pain-box-a-hackers-replica

I'm not sure what type of power supply should I use for connecting 5 peltier modules?
The instructions say they should be connected in parallel at 7.5V and 3A but I'm not sure how to achieve this.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a suitable power supply or how to "connect in parallel"?
Any help would be appreciated, I have a very limited knowledge of electrical
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Philmore-Multi-Voltage-Regulated-Power-Supply/dp/B004M45MHQ/

I found this power supply that looks suitable but it's only rated at 2 amps. Also concerned about compatibility.

Would this possibly work? I'm sorry again for my poor knowledge of electric.
>>
Do you want to run it off 12vdc or 120vac?
>>
>>1127817
The instructions say DC.
>>
>>1127825
Instructions can kiss my ass. What do YOU want it to run off?
>>
>>1127827
Personally, I don't know the difference. What would you recommend? My goal is for it to be safe while still powerful enough to achieve the thermal grill illusion. I'm concerned if it's too powerful it'll end up burning someone's hand.

That's the reason I'm trying to play it safe and go by what the instructions read. It says specifically to run them at 7.5V in order to avoid using a heatsink, which would be ideal.
>>
>>1127832
Running it from 12vdc or 120vac doesn't effect the way it runs at all. Either power supply will output the 7.5v.

The only difference is one runs off a car battery and the other plugs directly into the wall.
>>
>>1127834
Ok, good to know. How do I go about limiting the voltage to 7.5?
>>
>>1127848
You buy a power supply that regulates to that voltage.

Here is one for 120v.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/145W-7-5V-19A-Single-Output-Switching-power-supply-for-LED-Strip-light-AC-to-DC-/251950472812

The 12v one would be.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-CC-CV-Buck-Converter-Step-down-Power-Supply-Module-7-32V-to-0-8-28V-12A-/141685486391
But one can only handle 2 to 3 peltiers so you'd need 2.
>>
>>1127854
Excellent! When you say one can only handle 2, are you referring to both the 120v and 12v or just the 12v?

One last question: The peltiers are supposed to be connected in parallel. Does that mean wiring them together like pic related with wire caps?
>>
>>1127860
The 120v power supply can handle all of them. It is only the 12v one that can't. Your picture is parallel wiring. If you use the 12v power supplies you will have 3 connected to one power supply and two connected to another.
>>
>>1127862
Ah, I'll probably go with 120V. Would I still use parallel wiring or would they all go straight into the power supply? Thank you for being patient with me, I appreciate all of your help!
>>
>>1127866
Parallel wiring is straight into the power supply. It's the opposite of series wiring where things are daisy chained. You can google for pictures of the difference.
>>
>>1127872
How does the power supply plug into a wall? I don't see a chord.
>>
>>1127884
You put one on it. Screw terminals 1 and 2 are for AC in. You can use the cord off any broken thing. lamp, hair dryer, extension cord, drill, etc, or buy one at a box store.
>>
>>1127895
I see.

Would something like this be capable of powering the peltier units?

https://www.amazon.com/PHC-APS-415-Variable-Supply-3~15vdc/dp/B00RKN6KH2
>>
Alternatively if you are trying to keep it budget friendly you could find a scrapped computer and 9/10 times I've found that the power supplies still work, you could easily power peltiers in a series parallel configuration or even get a cheap dc-dc converter to give you your 7.5 volts. Have you actually spec'd the peltiers yet? Many run at 12volts anyway.
>>
>>1127898
No. You need at least 15 amps (5 peltiers @ 3 amps each). I'd suggest getting something in the 20 amp range.
>>
>>1127903
The peltiers are 12v, yes. I believe running them at 7.5v is desirable to achieve the effect I'm going for.

The thermal grill illusion works by juxtaposing the sensation of warmth and cold to trick your mind into interpreting intense heat. So I don't want the peltiers running at full efficiency.

>>1127905
Ah, I didn't realize that was how it worked. I'll refine my search.

Thank you
>>
>>1127834
Hot and cold direction on those elements depend on direction of current, AC will fuck it up.
>>
>>1127934
That post is talking about an ac input power supply that outputs 7.5vdc vs a dc input power supply that outputs 7.5vdc. Both power supplies output the same voltage.
>>
>>1127905
Come on, it's meant to cause some reasonable temperature difference between the peltiers, not to cool a processor or something. You'll destroy them with that much current, since they don't have any real heatsinks.
>>
>>1127827
Kek! My man right here know whats up
>>
>>1127944
So do you think the 4 amps would be enough for the 5 peltiers?
>>
Op.
You need to do a bit of homework. Either Google or YouTube peltier element, learn how they work.

Also, try to get an idea of ohms law, then you would be able to figure the voltage and current required.

Look at how series and parallel connections work.

TL,DR: peltier I-V curve is similar to a diode. The efficency of a peltier is below 20%.
The cooling capacity is way less than the heating capacity.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.