[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reactor Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 19

File: IMG_5321.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5321.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
Remember that one guy who got a bunch of smoke detectors and tried making a reactor but ended up irradiating his whole neighborhood? Is it possible and he just fucked it up, or are there better ways of making a reactor?
>>
>>1127471
that guy died of leukemia or something and looked like a methhead

how actual people do it:
-get a degree in physics/nuclear engineering
-get a job with a company with the resources to build reactors

'regular people' shouldn't fuck around with radioactive materials
>>
>>1127479
Wouldn't OP just need lots of lead to not get assblasted by the radiation?
>>
>>1127479
Why in the world would you do that?

This is /diy/. We don't spend money or get degrees here.

>>1127471

To be honest though OP I don't think anyone here knows how to build a reactor
>>
>>1127471
How many smoke detectors would be needed to trip a government radiation detector?
>>
>>1127510
Cover them in lead and the radiation won't get out
>>
File: IMG_5322.jpg (176KB, 750x748px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5322.jpg
176KB, 750x748px
Talks about bombs but relevant to building a reactor
>>
>>1127580
But I want them to be detected.
>>
>>1127471
You can build a DIY fusor if you really want to play around with nuclear physics. A fissile reactor is both considerably more dangerous more heavily-regulated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor#Amateur
>>
>>1127588
But does it produce energy for my appliances
>>
File: IMG_4771.jpg (27KB, 250x356px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4771.jpg
27KB, 250x356px
Terrorism The Thread
>>
>>1127590
How is this terrorism? OP just wants to build a small reactor. Likely to power his house or maybe even his whole neighborhood for free.

Don't just assume he's trying to make a bomb
>>
>>1127598
> for free
"Hey guys, I found ten million smoke detectors lying on the street. What should I do with them?"
>>
>>1127611
Kek
>>
>>1127471
He didn't make a nuclear reactor. He just ended up making things very radioactive from the decay products of radium and radon.

For all practical intents and purposes the only nuclear reactor you can make at home is a fusor.
>>
>>1127504
Acturry

What's your cooling medium, op.
>>
>>1127680
I have a body of water nearby.
>>
>>1127471
He had the right idea, but like a typical DIY'er he took shortcuts in construction and safety.
>>
As >>1127582 said you'll want to get soviet smoke detectors unless you want to buy 2 bagillion american ones. Also make sure to cover everything in lead or phone books
>>
Do some reading up on Breeder reactors on the internet and im sure you could do it. The hard part is getting radioactive material. I wonder if you could steal some somehow.
>>
His 'reactor' was sub critical. It was really more of a neutron source with some fissile material surrounding it. It would have bred a handful of atoms of plutonium but it wouldn't have produced any more of a useful energy source than adequately concentrating the sources and harvesting the heat; you can't do this with straight smoke detector sources because they're in a ceramic matrix, making the energy densities too low. You could do something clever to extract the americium but that's a good way to fuck yourself up in a way that would make Hahn look like a pussy.
>>
>>1128120
What if OP got one of those fancy suits
>>
>>1127471
source?
>>
>>1128129
I think this is the guy OP's talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn
>>
>>1128154
That's a real sad story

:(
>>
>>1128120
The Americium in smoke detectors is weapons grade fissile material. However, smoke detectors contain such an incredibly tiny amount of americium that you would need pretty much all the smoke detectors in the world to obtain a critical mass.
>>
>>1127471
>>1128185
This man is correct. And if you read about David Hahn it becomes painfully obvious that this was a boy with WAY too much money and WAY too little supervision. Nuclear reactors of any kind have an inherent initial cost, which is why only governments and enormous companies are the only ones with the capability to do it safely.
>>
>>1127611
lul
>>
File: diy.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
diy.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>1127471
OC for you
>>
>>1127783
oh no you don't, fucknut! I fish in that.
>>
>>1127479
100% agree, no layman should ever have to expose themselves to or handle bricks, bannanas, rocks, soil, water, or air. I am shocked an appalled about how lax our schools are when they willy nilly expose our kids to this dangerous radiation!
>>
>>1128653
You know what he meant you pedantic faggot
>>
>>1128839
>pedantic
>look guys I know how to use thesaurus.com!
>>
>tfw OP will never get his reactor
>tfw he an hero because never accomplishes dream
>tfw he did it himself
>>
>>1128943
I'm unsure why I'm even posting, but do you really think pedantic is that "advanced" of a word? Or are you just that angry? Like actually chill out, your wayyyy off topic from what the content of the thread is dog. You'll die early from all that hate.
>>
>>1128951
>You'll die early from all that hate.

>6 months from now hundreds of thousands of fat neckbearded men and anorexic cuckboys collapse simultaneously
>police investigation shows they browsed 4chan too often
>nothing of value was lost
>>
"Reactor thread"
>>
File: Reactor Thread.png (29KB, 760x423px) Image search: [Google]
Reactor Thread.png
29KB, 760x423px
>>1129058
OP is retarded. It's all about them bioreactors.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (137KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
137KB, 1280x851px
>>1129058
>my reaction to this thread
>>
Just so happens I just saw this post on HN and thought of this thread.
https://carlwillis.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/analysis-of-soviet-smoke-detector-plutonium/

Is there a better way to acquire these materials other than smoke detectors? Could I social engineer someone into sending me a "sample" of plutonium?
>>
>>1128945
KeK m8
>>
>>1127504
Some of us already have degrees though.

>>1129184
Nice try daesh
>>
>>1128943
>he thinks "pedantic" is a word the average person needs a thesaurus for
Can't you shitpost somewhere else? /diy/ is a board of peace.
>>
>>1129184
Order uranium on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Uranium-Ore/dp/B000796XXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486845380&sr=8-1&keywords=uranium

The Customer Questions & Answers and the reviews are worth a read.
>>
>>1129184
You'd need a lot of smoke detectors. Not a fucking chance you'd get a sample of plutonium. Some russian dudes got arrested for taking the plutonium out of smoke detectors and trying to sell it.
>>
>>1129536
Sweet now in order to reach critical mass you need a shitton of it. Oh and if you're using unenriched uranium, you need a shitton of heavy water too.
>>
>>1127500
Just steal the lead suit from the dentists office.
>>
File: image_20770.jpg (62KB, 610x961px) Image search: [Google]
image_20770.jpg
62KB, 610x961px
>>1128120
OP could use one and buy some lead paneling, coat the box-thing and buys some leaded glass. You would need a lead box to quickly put the radioactive material in afterwords.
>>
File: EVR.jpg (30KB, 493x843px) Image search: [Google]
EVR.jpg
30KB, 493x843px
Heres the suit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lead-Vest-Suspender-Suit-for-Radiology-Medical-/400743767560?hash=item5d4e309e08:g:WxoAAOSwKPNTyCpV
>>
>>1129668
Is there a cooler one?
>>
>>1127589

Farnsworth Fusor that produces usable energy will kill you horribly without shielding. Also Farnsworth Fusor designs don't have coolant systems.

I recommend using lead as a primary coolant that creates steam by heating water. Lead can self seal some leaks and it doubles as shielding so its the safest coolant for a /diy/er.

I'd use thorium to breed fissionable material, its safer than other options and that field needs pioneering.

Make sure you have good control rods that absorb the fuck out of neutrons and have good coverage through the core. Make sure they don't melt or something.

Acquiring actual reactor grade uranium will be a total bitch so brave the world of thorium :)
>>
>>1130542

Oh and run your lead overpressure valve through the water coolant so if the lead boils it will condense and be contained instead of dispersing through the air you breathe.

Play it safe as possible. And don't fuck with smoke detectors, they only have micrograms of radioactive material.

Radiation can literally blast apart your body at a molecular level, like shooting your cells with the worlds smallest machine gun.

Nothing wrong with wanting a reactor, just gotta be safe.

I wanna make one myself one day if I get too bored.
>>
>>1130545
instructions not clear got dick stuck in machine gun
>>
>>1127504

Building a reactor is actually pretty easy. Take two fissionable masses and smoosh them together until you see a blue flash and die.

Building a reactor that makes enough heat to produce energy but not enough energy to melt is a little harder, but not a lot.

I know this, and my degrees are in Computer Science.
>>
>>1129184
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

There's a worldwide shortage of plutonium because it's only created in significant quantities inside a nuclear reactors.

Plus, you know, you can make bombs with it. There's a lot of regulatory costs as well.

You can buy it for $4,000 per gram. That's about $1.8 million per pound.
>>
>>1130586

>Take two fissionable masses and smoosh them together until you see a blue flash and die

It's too bad that the only materials that you can practically do this with are extremely expensive and controlled isotopes of plutonium, americium etc. Everything else requires a massive amount of material to sustain a chain reaction.

>Building a reactor that makes enough heat to produce energy but not enough energy to melt is a little harder, but not a lot.

No it's actually quite a lot harder and requires minimum reactor size due to how physics works... unless you have access to the same impractical to get a hold of isotopes or enrichment facilities that can spit out extremely high concentrations of U235.

>I know this, and my degrees are in Computer Science.

Really, I wouldn't have guessed based on how little you know.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (7KB, 262x193px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
7KB, 262x193px
>>1128478
>>1127479
agreed. the book sensationalised what he did. reading the accounts of his criminally insane behaviour later in life, I cant help but think all the retards who thought he did something significant ended up encouraging his delusional fantasies.

this is what he actually did: break open as many smoke alarms as he could get his hands on. from schools, public places and steal the americium from them. his bullshit about getting uranium ore samples and doing anything significant with them is bogus. now just to get an idea of how criminally insane he was, think of this. he was arrested because he was caught stealing smoke alarms repeatedly from his apartment. when he was a child and nobody knew what a crazy freak he was, he must have been able to steal every smoke alarm in his school 10x over and from every public bathroom and public building he could. break open the smoke alarm and pile the grain of sand sized piece of americium together. it must have taken tens of thousands of them. he had a really weird niche kleptomania for collecting smoke alarm cores.

>>1127504
everyone knows these basic facts. problem is, we dont have the industrial ability to produce litres of heavy water in our back yard.
>>
>>1130945
>we dont have the industrial ability to produce litres of heavy water in our back yard.
Sounds like a /diy/ project to me
>>
File: 1480837182447.png (389KB, 425x398px) Image search: [Google]
1480837182447.png
389KB, 425x398px
>One gram of Am-241 is enough for 3 million detectors

>You would need the Am-241 from 3 billion smoke detectors in order to have a kilogram of the stuff.

>Mfw

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/non-power-nuclear-applications/radioisotopes-research/smoke-detectors-and-americium.aspx
>>
File: Tickling_the_Dragons_Tail.jpg (280KB, 1200x957px) Image search: [Google]
Tickling_the_Dragons_Tail.jpg
280KB, 1200x957px
just get two halfsperes of plutonium

look for demon core on wikipedia
>>
Come to germany and search the uranium cubes the allies missed

the allies only removed the uranium metal out of the chest and the chest remained in the field

rumors state that the netron source (radium) is buried under the chest so you could try to find it
>>
>>1131667
forgot pic
>>
>>1131649
the perk of playing with critical mass is that if you fuck up you can't get into trouble. because you would be dead before they got you to prison.
>>
File: radioactive-boy-scout-w_med_hr.jpg (124KB, 482x651px) Image search: [Google]
radioactive-boy-scout-w_med_hr.jpg
124KB, 482x651px
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

Nuclear boyscout

Even bought like a hundred watches and scraped off the glow stuff on the hour, minute and second hands.
>>
>>1130584

I hate it when that happens
>>
>>1131667
>>1131671
What was the purpose of these?
>>
File: chicagopile1.jpg (961KB, 3200x1426px) Image search: [Google]
chicagopile1.jpg
961KB, 3200x1426px
>>1131917
the germans piss poor attempt at a nuclear reactor during WWII. They didn't even try.

Of course in order to get critical mass, you need literally TONS of uranium.
>>
>>1127471

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRt74nzRmY

Have fun OP and don't let the radiation make your dick fall off.
>>
>>1127479
beta burns

>>1127500
if youre not worried about bremsstrahlung

>>1127504
>We don't spend money or get degrees here.
i did

>>1127510
the detector wouldnt, the decay neutrons from americium activate other stuff that would. you would need quite a few smoke detectors though.

>>1127580
add plastic or risk bremsstrahlung

>>1127611
I think fire dept give them away for free

>>1128091
uranium is available from amazon and the clinton foundation

>>1128120
most accurate post so far

>>1130586
>enough heat to produce energy but not enough energy to melt is a little harder, but not a lot.
lol, no.

>>1131917
they were suspended in heavy water (which moderates neutrons to lower energies) in the attempt to make plutonium bc they thought separating isotopes (like the US did) was not feasible
>>
>>1127471
OP go study nuclear physics first and read the articles what he wanted to build - whitch was retarded idea - pic releted
>>
>>1131649
>the only thing between you and death was a screwdriver

Slotin you absolute madman
>>
>>1132123
Hi Oppenheimer!
>>
File: 1487307945310-231605955.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1487307945310-231605955.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1127471
I am actually building a helium generator by putting some americurium in a vacuum and firing electrons at it. Does anyone know if any energy will be released when the electrons combine with alpha particles?
Pic related, my reaction chamber to be.
>>
>>1132208
Had the same thought. If Oppenheimer were to let himself be known on /diy/ they'd pick his brain relentlessly though, worse than /k/ by far.
>>
>>1132336
Don't lie, that's a penis pump.
>>
File: volumes.jpg (80KB, 600x635px) Image search: [Google]
volumes.jpg
80KB, 600x635px
>>1132336
M8, shooting electrons at it ain't gonna do much. Those alpha particles will grab electrons on their own. You will get attoliters per second of helium. In a year you'd produce about 40 picoliters of helium.

In other words, fuck all.
>>
>>1127479
he did not die lol just do a quick search on google and youtube
>>
>>1132359
I know I'll be making an immeasurable amount, but fuck it
>>
>>1132359
Also I don't understand your picture
>>
>>1132618
Really? He's demonstrating the concept of "really fucking small amount". And like he said, there's no need to spray electrons.

>>1132617
So, how are you going to show that your helium generator works?
>>
>>1132619
>So, how are you going to show that your helium generator works?
The same way we know Lady Gaga has a penis.

We just know.
>>
>>1132341
Yeah, just look at bunkerbro
>>
>>1132864
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, we just know doesn't really demonstrate anything.

You might as well just pray for more helium
>>
>>1132887
Yeah, but with bunkerbro the threads he's involved in get guys interested in mining, renovating, stuff like that. If Oppenheimer were here we'd have guys actually trying to build reactors, or dirty bombs, or worse. That being said, I enjoy both of their threads whenever I catch one. I find it interesting that no one has taken credit for >>1132123, and it does sound a little like Oppenheimer. Hmmm...
>>
>>1133055
Probably yes, that wouldn't turn out well. Still, even after dumping the trips it's pretty easy to recognize him. Good grammar and capital letters, so I think it's not that anon. There's lot of nice stuff and knowledgeable people around.
>>
>>1129536
kek

Question:
Ive got a Ant hill I want to remove.... is there sufficient quantity to build a working 1-1000th scale Fatman replica to nuke the little buggers?
Answer:
Absolutely! I had a similar problem and built one slightly larger, (which I do not recommend, by the way) and it not only killed all the inhabitants of that hill, it wiped out a nearby herd of Nubian goats. There were HAZMAT crews and folks from Homeland Security combing the hills for weeks. I think it was the noise
>>
>>1132617
You don't understand, you will literally be making so little helium that it'll escape before you're even able to detect it.
>>
>>1132597
https://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/this-fall-the-radioactive-boy-scout-died-at-age-39/
>>
>>1131696
I cant believe nobody has figured out what killed him.
Its like everyone gave up trying to figure out
>>
>>1134341
Gamma radiation probably
>>
File: eqvlyq[1].jpg (144KB, 1477x838px) Image search: [Google]
eqvlyq[1].jpg
144KB, 1477x838px
>>1130460
Like this?
>>
>>1132619
there isn't that much to explain, I make the americium the cathode and put a couple thousand volts through it in a vacuum.
>>1134303
well fuck it, I am making it anyways
>>
>>1131302
I dont live that far from Rjukan and people in past broke in already to fuck shit up, now we cane break in to use the devices and get us some H3O. Or just dive to the fjord for some kraut barrel, it has been proven that it really was full of heavy water.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.