[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me, construction mgmt grad, current retail hardware store

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1477361989274.gif (2MB, 312x249px) Image search: [Google]
1477361989274.gif
2MB, 312x249px
>be me, construction mgmt grad, current retail hardware store manager
>early 20s white male in expensive jeans comes in asking for some random thing
>I showed him item, he tells me he's going to be starting a construction business
>Ask him what kind of construction
>"Have you heard of the tiny house movement?"
>oh.no/killme
>"well you can take steel storage containers, like they have on trucks..."
>Gives me the whole spiel
>I ask if he has any construction experience, he confirms
>I try to explain why not to do that but he cuts me off to tell me more about his million dollar idea
>i hear him out then go back to my work

I tried, /diy/. When will the meme end?
>>
>>1127096
When we are done with the containers...

I dont know why people cant just get a $2,000 camper.

Litterally paid 600 to sleep awaybfrom mosquitoes and have designated shiting closet.
>>
>>1127096
Zoning bylaws in my town would shoot that guys $million dream down before he could get started.
>>
he's obviously quite well-off and successful if he's wearing EXPENSIVE jeans
>>
>>1127096
>construction mgmt grad
>retail hardware store manager
>>
>>1127156
Yeah, I know, I was in construction for a while but had trouble adapting to the older, more unreliable ways of doing things that all the contractors in town were doing things, so I gave it up. I'm not too happy about it, but it is what it is.
>>
File: good boy cave.jpg (90KB, 825x510px) Image search: [Google]
good boy cave.jpg
90KB, 825x510px
>>1127096
>When will the meme end?

I don't even know why it started. Why would anyone live in a literal cuck pod instead of mummy's basement?
>>
>>1127162
I had such a struggle convincing people that advanced framing or (modified) Laresen trusses were worth it, despite them being around for 30 years. I haven't even tried truly modern building techniques, but I work on relatively small projects anyways
>>
>>1127172
Yeah. My issues were more with management practices like verbal contracts and unclear expectations. It was just a big good ole boys club combined with all the drama of a high school cheerleading team. But there were technical things like yours as well, like convincing people to use icf for basement walls instead of blocks, things like that.
>>
>>1127186
It was worth it though, after a few years I was able to buy some cheapish land and build a few commercial buildings. Dat dem dere passive income, with minimum 3 year leases, usually 5.
>>
>>1127189
Nice. I'm thinking of doing rental homes myself, now that I bought my own place.
>>
File: 1481926646469.jpg (492KB, 984x1312px) Image search: [Google]
1481926646469.jpg
492KB, 984x1312px
>>1127139
Kek
>>
>>1127219
Don't. Or if you are dead-set see if you can find places with tenants in place that have been there a minimum of three years.

Commercial is the way to go. They are responsible for the inside of the building. Toilets broken? Call a fucking plumber, why are you calling me?
>>
>>1127219
>>1127279
Ditto on the commercial, longer leases, more robust leases, better idea of what your tenant is like (requesting tax records, business plans is normal) less management work load and the law is more on your side than with residential.

The downside is stricter building codes and inspections, if a tenant wants to change the use, you have to go before the planning board, then fucking inspectors come in. Taxes are also generally slightly higher for commercial property.
>>
>>1127279
>>1127302
Thanks for the advice, guys.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.