[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old Table Saw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_1046.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1046.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
my grandfather gave me a table saw that his now dead friend gave to him, it works just fine but there in no fence, is there any way i can make one or use it without one
>>
>>1126555
definitely should have one, even if just clamping a piece of metal to it
>>
You can usually buy a saw fence separately, tricky bit will be finding one to fit. Otherwise an angle bar and G-clamps
>>
File: IMG_1048.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1048.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1126559
>>1126558
hadnt even thought of that

also they way hes holding the motor up is with on a board on a hinge and a tightener kind of thing (pic related) any better way to do this
>>
>>1126560
Fence strainers are pretty tough, though that wood is probably fairly shit and eye-bolts would would be better than a wood screw
>>
>>1126555
what type of blade is that?
>>
>>1126576
i have no idea, dont even know how to remove it
>>
>>1126555
Looks like someone ran off with most of your riving knife too. That is what the little mount on the back is for.

>>1126560
>>1126569
That is a turnbuckle. Yes, like they use in boxing/wrestling rings. It's not a standard way of doing it but often times the belt was the only thing holding up the motor anyway. You want plenty of tension or the belt will slip. I guess it depends on how heavy the motor is. Old school motors weighed a lot more than newer ones. Honestly, the table saw looks like it's not a very good piece of machinery (sheet metal body, aluminum or pot metal top) so I doubt it matters. Hell, that is probably why half the stuff is missing. It was garbage so the previous owner pulled it off. Cheap table saws are notorious for having terrible fences.

>>1126586
Pull the blade insert out, raise the blade to maximum height, lock the blade in place (be careful, sharp bits and fingers don't mix), undo the arbor nuts with w wrench, replace blade, reverse steps.
>>
File: scoring.jpg (4KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
scoring.jpg
4KB, 266x190px
>>1126586
old blades can throw teeth. see those welded tips? they're usually carbide. you should find out what the blade is before using it because an unbalanced blade is dangerous, a blade missing teeth is dangerous, using the wrong blade for the wrong material is dangerous. its really got me confused because ive never seen a blade with so few teeth before. it could be a scoring blade for panelling? and running a 2x4 through it could kill you.
>>
>>1126555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IARh-pSHCck

dumb or dumbest? this is the reason we're not allowed radial amputation saws anymore.
>>
>>1126660
> this is the reason we're not allowed radial amputation saws anymore.
Radial arm saws, and power tools in general, are great for helping you identify the fucking morons in your employ. Just do a finger check once a month or so and if anyone comes up with under 10 fingers you know that person shouldn't be handling sharp objects anymore.

I never knew why people think these things are so dangerous. My dad had one and used it just about every weekend for something or other. He shows me how to use it when I was like 11. The saw has a fixed route of travel. If you don't put your giblets where the saw cuts, it will never hurt you. Hell, some would argue it is safer because the wood never moves. Tables saws are famous for chucking wood through walls when some tard is behind the wheel. I've used mine for years and never gotten a scratch. Then again, I'm not a high functioning alcoholic that dropped out of high school that has trouble reading instructions and thinks manuals are for sissies.
>>
>>1126555
The quickest/safest thing to do would be to make a simple crosscut sled for it. I am sure there are many videos on youtube. Watch a few before you decide on one. There are some pretty slick versions out there.
>>
>>1126560
most of the time these older saws used the weight of the motor to provide the belt tension. Which would mean it wouldn't "rest" on this unless you took the belt off or the belt was very worn.
>>
>>1126657
>ive never seen a blade with so few teeth before
>>
>>1126671
second this, although use the strip of wood and a screw to test if the top/slots are parallel to the saw blade, so you can adjust/make square before building.

>>1126555
>>1126657
>>1126708
Pretty sure that's a fiber cement blade/pergo blade.

>>1126666
mostly because an old one that hasn't been maintained will be inaccurate, tempting idiots to put their hands closer for better control, and because kickback on a tablesaw throws a chunk of wood, but kickback on a radial arm saw makes the saw "climb" the cut towards you, which if youre unprepared, can cause panic and injuries.
Also, I'd rather have a tablesaw because RAS are shit at ripping and I don't have room for both.
>>
>>1126769
Craftsman/Emerson/ basically ruined the reputation of the radial arm saw. They also had a huge safety recall that covered basically every saw they ever made up until the late 90s. Most people have never used a decent one, like a DeWalt or a Delta, let alone one that was dialed in properly. All of the saws Emerson made for Craftsman after the Model 100 had a terrible time keeping their zeros and they got worse with each passing year. Anyone foolish enough to buy one made in the 80s/90s might as well have been trying to make accurate cuts with an axe in the dark. The Craftsman/Ryobi radial arm saws were equally as garbage. By the 2000s Emerson had lost the Craftsman contract and started selling the machines under the Ridgid name for Home Depot. There was zero improvement in quality.

>because RAS are shit at ripping and I don't have room for both.
They are definitely tricky to get ripping well, even when it's a solid example like a round top DeWalt.The capacity is also limited by the column. I only ever ripped on my saw once because I had a bunch of shit on the table saw and didn't want to move it. It wasn't terrible but it is definitely a simpler operation on a table saw.
>>
>>1126778
>Craftsman/Emerson/ basically ruined the reputation of the radial arm saw

Being woefully inadequate while taking up a lot of space is what ruined the reputation of the radial arm saw.
>>
>>1126780
Not the guy you were repling to.

I have one of the beastly round top Dewalts and I love it. Found a set of every accessory ever made for it on fleabay. It replaced half my 1990+ tools. It even has an attachment to turn it into a lathe.
>>
File: IMG_1182.jpg (123KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1182.jpg
123KB, 500x667px
>>1126708
your first instinct when you see an old power tool missing lots of parts is to turn it on before checking it over?

>>1126769
I dont think so. it doesnt have any grinding surface that would allow it to work on ceramic.

maybe its one of those milling blades but its missing its inserts?
>>
>>1126806
>your first instinct when you see an old power tool missing lots of parts is to turn it on before checking it over?

No. My first instinct is to not tell everyone how dangerous a tool that is designed to cut things can be.
You come off like some eurofag who's grown up in a nany-state that is so overprotective you can't think for yourself and assume all others are the same.
>>
File: 484883984.png (452KB, 964x999px) Image search: [Google]
484883984.png
452KB, 964x999px
>>1126769
>Pretty sure that's a fiber cement blade/pergo blade
>>1126806
>I dont think so. it doesnt have any grinding surface that would allow it to work on ceramic.

hardie board / cement board isn't ceramic
>>
>>1126708
It's not your fault you're inexperienced.

It's a Hardie backer/cement/fibre board blade. They aren't all that cheap either.
>>
>>1126780
Right. That pretty much describes the Craftsman/Emerson saws to a T.

Astoundingly, better-made saws are, wait for it, better. I have a mid-60's square top DeWalt 1400 and it is rock solid. The only times I've ever had to re-zero it was when I moved it on a vehicle. It is very accurate and has plenty of power. 10-inch blades don't get bogged down in it. It is wonderful for short dado cuts too.
>>
File: Picture+024[1].jpg (288KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
Picture+024[1].jpg
288KB, 1600x1195px
>>1126916
Whoops, wrong image. That is a Delta 900. Here is an example of a DeWalt 1400.
>>
>>1126916
>>1126921
>higher quality saws hold zero better
>this somehow changes the fact that radial arm saws inherent design is garbage
>>
hey guys OP here, do think there would be any way to buy a new top plate that would fit, so that it would have a fence on it and better slots?
>>
>>1126927
No
>>
>>1126933
that sucks, but ok
>>
>>1126792
>It even has an attachment to turn it into a lathe

Why am I surprised this is the type of person who thinks arm saws are great?
>its old
>nobody wants them so they are cheap
>therefore its amazing

There is a reason they are all over craigslist and ebay for cheap, and its not because you are a vastly superior woodworking and smarter than everyone else.

Its because they are shittier than a table saw in every single way, and they are more dangerous than a table saw in every single way.

But hey, you bought a shitty attachment to make it into a lathe!
Its ability to work very poorly as a lathe makes up for it working poorly with wood!
>>
>>1126936
Just use a random piece of wood for a fence.
It works great on radial arm saws!
>>
>>1126666

>Hell, some would argue it is safer because the wood never moves.

Are you sure you're not talking about a track saw?
>>
>>1126926
>>1126937
Garbage Craftsman saws are all over for cheap. DeWalts and Deltas, not so much. Why? Because they are not garbage.
>>
>>1126994
Radial arm saw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JTvO4sMyqU

Track saw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQa996CPN6s
>>
>>1127265
>Track saw
I like when he does the angled cut and almost drops the saw while he's laying down
>>
>>1127246
I just checked craigslist near me
There are quite literally 9 Dewalt arm saws for sale
There are 11 Craftsmans for sale
There are 4 off brand ones like PowrKraft

Im not sure where you are getting this idea that Dewalt saws are expensive and hard to find.
>>
>>1126555
sell the thing youre too stupid to own one...only thing you'll do is lose fingers
>>
>>1126657
youre a fucking idiot
>>
>>1127363
why are you being so mean, only asking for help
>>
>>1126576
Gyprock/drywall blade I think

It's a baby saw, I wouldn't tackle thick wood on it.
>>
>>1126666
Heh,

I more or less agree with your sentiment, but had some interesting experiences recently.

I hit the trifecta:
1: grazed my knuckle with a grinding wire wheel.
2: cutting a compound bevel on a mitre saw for an experiment I almost took some fingers off.
3: took a piece into my groin (not in the jewels thankfully) as kickback from the table saw.

This prompted me to have a real think about how I go about things in my shed
>>
>>1127350
Reading comprehension, get some. I didn't say they were rare, I said you wouldn't see them going for cheap.

Craftsman saws are all over the place for cheap (under $100) unless you get a tard that thinks their turd is worth $300. DeWalts and Deltas, which had actual professional level saws in addition to their consumer lines, don't generally sell for that unless you get lucky or they are thrashed.

>There are 4 off brand ones like PowrKraft
If Powrkraft is an off brand then so is Craftsman.
>>
>>1127492
>I said you wouldn't see them going for cheap.

Well I must be in the minority then, because the most expensive asking price is 150$, and thats a craftsman.

Maybe I just live where people thrash and destroy stuff.

Its really weird, my craigslist has the most overpriced shit I have ever seen. It rarely has anything good, but there are ALWAYS arm saws for sale.

Last time I saw you go on a tirade about how good they were, I looked into it. I almost bought a $50 dewalt as there were like 3 of them.

I looked into it and decided I wasnt going to waste the space on a saw that for all intents and purposes is inferior to my table saw.
>>
>>1127456
mean or honest?....If you dont know anything about a table saw leave it alone
>>
>>1127512
It really depends on what tools you already have. If you already have a sliding compound miter saw and a table saw than you don't really need one. It has a bunch of stuff it can do that a miter saw or table saw can't, but they are its less used functions. It is super easy to add standard drum sanders, discs sanders, shaper bits, drill chucks for horizontal boring, etc to the machine without extra attachments. They even made special planing, jig saw, and lathe attachments, but that's mostly niche stuff.

Its the same way with a Shopsmith. If you already have tools that do its most used functions you can skip it.
>>
File: 20170207_115445.jpg (866KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170207_115445.jpg
866KB, 2048x1152px
>>1126555
Shouldnt be to difficult to rig up something similar to pic related. If you want to cut larger pieces. Otherwise just clamp something to it as others have said
>>
>>1126666

The most successful electrical engineer I know is missing a finger and his left arm has more scars than Kazuya Mishima
>>
File: howto fucking die.jpg (69KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
howto fucking die.jpg
69KB, 720x960px
>>1126555
how to fucking die.jpg
>>
>>1128994
>>1123708
>>
The idea that table saws are safer than radial arms saws seems completely insane to me.
>>
>>1130172
I concur
>>
>>1128994

how to die more better: put the blade on so that it spins in the correct direction.
>>
>>1126666
nice quads
>power tools in general, are great for helping you identify the fucking morons in your employ.
true ... even dangerous tools can be quite safe if you know your gear. My granddad gave me an old circular saw when I was 14, it didn't have a blade guard and he told me just never put it down while the blade is spinning. used it regularly for a decade with no problems, it also taught me to never trust that the guard is there / springs back on my new saw.

>>1127691
most terrifying words an engineer can say on a job site "I'm here to help".
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.