[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welding Electrodes codes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

File: welding1.jpg (234KB, 1422x1000px) Image search: [Google]
welding1.jpg
234KB, 1422x1000px
Hi /diy/,
a friendly question that I'd like to post here.
I do use for my home welds SMAW process a classic DC Inverter quality welder.

I'm in need to make a simple document for me and also some pals about some basics to recognise the various kind of electrodes (or welding rods don't know how you commonly call them).

Since the code for non stainless electrodes printed on the "bottom" of the rods is the AWS A5.1 coding (ISO code is much too long i guess), I'd like to ask you:

1. a simple chart about the various digit meanings. I know the first 2 or 3 digits are about strenght of the weld, the third the position, and the last about the current and material/application, but a good reliable chart would be very handy.

2. the position coding. I know that "1" means all positions, "2" only flat and angle welds, but there are other, and if so, what numbers are, positions?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1126552
yeah nah
just fucking google it
>>
File: 2017-02-05_15-49-42_135.jpg (611KB, 1944x1092px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-05_15-49-42_135.jpg
611KB, 1944x1092px
>>1126552
There are way to many different electrodes to put into one chart.
>>
>>1126562
Tried, no clear answer

>>1126617
Thanks, that help
>>
Ad far ad you are aware, is there a EXX3X position?

So 4 is verticale down capability it seems
>>
File: 461948203.png (686KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
461948203.png
686KB, 1280x800px
>>1126654
>Tried, no clear answer
>>
>>1126705
yep, still didn't find something clear about welding positions.

this chart also >>1126617 is better than most of the other I found over the net.
>>
Just bought this mig welder
I want to use argon gas to weld on aluminum wheels
I would like to know information bout
Eye shielding
Is there different shades
Stronger? Last longer?
>>
>>1127368
if welding alum is like casting it you want specific goggles for it
>>
So goggles or a mask which is better?
>>
>>1127368
>>1127369
>>1127382
For arc welding in general, it's preferable to wear a full welding helmet. Many processes produce spatter, and the UV light can cause what's effectively sun burns on exposed skin, though the risk and severity of that depends on the process and amperage involved. There are different shades of fixed lenses, and most auto-darkening helmets can be set to any of a range of shades.

>this mig welder
>use argon gas to weld on aluminum wheels
Which MIG welder is that? Aluminum wire is different enough from steel that it typically needs specialized feeders like a spoolgun or a push-pull gun to avoid feeding problems. And aluminum MIG operates in spray mode, while cheap MIG welders may not be built to handle the parameters for that. By "aluminum wheels" do you mean car wheels? Because safety-critical jobs are for when you've already gotten good.
>>
>>1127435
Not him, but newer aluminum car wheels are differentially cooled to form stresses in the metal and strengthen it.

If you cracked the wheel, then even if you weld the crack close it is no where near as strong as it was originally and may be unsafe to used.

At the very least, please have a conscience and do not sell the repaired aluminum wheel to another person.
>>
Yeah I know that.
I work in a tire shop
And well I encounter cracked wheels all the time
I do know it'll never be the same
And I've been looking at tutorials on YouTube.
To much weld is not good
To little is not good
Gap has to close for the weld to go in and fill up
Residue has to be removed
Any other useful tips?
>>
There's a video online where this guy's welds blocks to a table
He uses different technics to weld
He uses good and bad fucked up ones
He hits them with a hammer and tries to destroy them
>>
>>1127382
Goggles were for O/A welding, unless you wanna cosplay as a raccoon just get a hood.
>>
File: 9001hours.png (38KB, 1193x69px) Image search: [Google]
9001hours.png
38KB, 1193x69px
That's pretty much all you need to know.

t. welder
>>
>>1127918
Forgot to mention that 7018 can be a total cunt to start the arc with, the other ones not nearly as much.

Also if you weld stainless 99% of the time you'll use E308L-16 which is more or less similar to 7014 albeit the flux pops up on its own when cooling down most of the time.
>>
Soooo... I finally got the proper mask.
Started practicing
Lmao a total fail from my view
Everything I'm done with welding I see blobs of weld it's a shame and a waste.
The material I'm welding is alloy aluminum rims
It's around 3/8 of an inch thick
I'm using argon gas
Does the rim have to be hot?
Do I need a higher voltage?
The roll in this picture is what I'm using now
>>
File: 2017-02-09 23.01.39.jpg (2MB, 2005x1634px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-09 23.01.39.jpg
2MB, 2005x1634px
>>
File: AlMig.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
AlMig.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>1128825
>>1128827
>welding aluminum rims
>MIG with argon
>uses self-shielding mild steel flux-core wire
Gee, I wonder why.

Some tips:
Use actual aluminum filler wire. Since you have argon, go with solid wire rather than flux core. Pic related is an example.
If practicing, scrub the surface with a stainless steel brush to break up the oxide layer where you'll be welding.
If repairing a crack, drill out the point of the crack and gouge the crack open to make it easier to penetrate through the crack. Preheat can make this easier, but it is not needed with suitable welder settings. Button the end of the weld to prevent hot cracking.
>>
>>1127918
also never put water on your welding rods. thats how you get hydrogen cracking
>>
>>1128825

This video is about TIG but still has excellent information about problems with aluminum casting repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyFo-JP4fDQ
>>
File: nozzle.jpg (5KB, 347x145px) Image search: [Google]
nozzle.jpg
5KB, 347x145px
thanks everyone

everything has been good usefull information
so i've been researching more
and my dum ass always thought i was doing ok
but i was using wire for metal on cast aluminum
so i started cutting metal rims and been practicing on them
meehh.. cant say im doing really well
but im happy with what i have accomplished but needs more work

so i got two questions
>>
this nozzle end can be removed
but is this supposed to sit all the way in?
or can i adjusted pull it out a lil bit or its not a good idea??
>>
File: tanks.jpg (11KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
tanks.jpg
11KB, 247x204px
Also one more thing

i think i have the 48
argon gas tank
so the welder i got came with a rolling cart but also it has a spot for the gas tank to sit and be rolled all together.
does the tank have to be strapped to
a wall
the cart
???
>>
File: image_25357.jpg (126KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_25357.jpg
126KB, 1200x1200px
Are harbor freight welders a shit? Anyone here use one?
I was looking at the 80 amp inverter in pic related, sounds decent for small projects, I've never welded before but stick sounds good for me.
I've got a motorcycle and I figure I could try making a rack or headlight protector for offroading, maybe small repairs too. My local CL is shite and I can't justify a $300+ welder
>>
>>1127368
This is going to end poorly for you. Just buy new wheels.
>>
>>1129732
The nozzle should be screwed in snugly but not too tight. It should sit so that the rim of the nozzle aligns with the end of the contact tip according to the manual you got with the machine. Usually they're flush or the contact tip is about 1/8" inset. It's often a good idea to trim back the wire a bit before welding again. Cut it a little shorter than the operating stickout.

>>1129734
That's a high pressure gas tank. If the valve is damaged, it can take off like a rocket capable of smashing through walls or people. The protective cap should be securely on the tank any time it's not chained to a secure spot. In use with a regulator on, the tank should be chained to a wall or welding cart like you described. The chain is typically permanently secured to one side, with a hook on the other.
>>
>>1129735
I just got that welder today, I'm gonna try it out. Wish me luck
>>
The two best welding forums. Weldingweb is the better of the two, and not just because I've over four thousand posts there.

Practice systematically. Study.

Find wheel repair threads. Study them. Practice more. Destructively test your practice parts by cutting the joint and examining the welds. Post pics of your welds in real welding forums. Both listed are cool communities. ALWAYS post specifics such as the specific filler and machine settings you use.

http://weldingweb.com/

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard
>>
>>1129732
just push the nozzle on and you're good. some people like to trim them back a bit but i've never really saw the point.

>>1129734
chain it to the cart or even just tie it with something. if you're not using the cart then chain/tie to the wall or really anything solid. there's 2000+ psi in those tanks you don't want those fuckers falling over, if they do and the valve snaps off crazy shit WILL happen.
>>
>>1129734
Worth noting is you can buy longer green gas hose and clamps and hose barbs at your local welding supply or online, leave the tank on the wall, and take advantage of the hose reach to move your welder around a bit. I also sometimes use a separate cylinder cart. Beats pushing a welder and cylinder at once.
>>
>>1129735
honestly for stick it doesn't matter all that much. sure big brands will perform better and last longer but really there's just not a lot to stick welders. MIGs are a different story due to the need to feed the wire. cheap units tend to feed like shit, have shitty guns and the feeding system just doesn't last
>>
>>1130053
Practice on CLEAN metal. A flap disc in an angle grinder works very well, and for welding you need an angle grinder.

Watch MIG and flux core welding videos. There are many. The Miller site has some you can view for free and they are plentiful on Youtube.
>>
>>1130115
But anon, the welder he is referring to is for SMAW, not GMAW/FCAW.
>>
>>1128854
It's just to "reform" the cellulose in the flux in a way. Let 'em dry for a bit after and never do that with 7018, obviously.
>>
>>1130084
>crazy shit WILL happen
I used to work in an auto shop, one day, the owner's dumbass son came in with his car and started working on it, and kicked a dolly with an oxy tank on it out of the way. The thing *only* had about 1200 PSI in it, and sent it shooting across the shop, through a reinforced cinderblock wall, andinto the parking lot.

The best part was when he tried to blame it on me, since I was the only one in the shop at the time, but he didn't realize his dad had put cameras in the shop.
>>
>>1126764
That's because the numbers in the AWS code MEAN SOMETHING other than just a number.

For example an E7018, pretty common electrode ppl at familiar with, means, in order;
E-it's an electrode (not filler wire)
70- tensile strength in lbs. X 1000
1- applicable for all weld positions
8- DC+, low-hydrogen (must bake)

Each number is in a category of numbers. It's best to find the manufactures info
>>
>>1130439
Yep I've seen full tanks bounce around shops then exit through a door or wall. Thankfully never seen anyone get hit but it's pretty fucking scary to watch and even worse when you see the damage caused afterwards
>>
>>1126764
>yep, still didn't find something clear about welding positions.

Go here: http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/72048/what-do-the-numbers-on-stick-electrodes-mean

Or here:http://www.jeep-l.net/info_jeep/weld_rod.htm

Make a chart from the page if you like.

FWIW: both pages were near the top of the list for a search of "welding electrode numbers"
>>
>>1129735
I e got two of those, I can run them off my car inverter
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.