[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how could i power a light with a tv coax cable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: quark-gluon-plasma.jpg (152KB, 1000x779px) Image search: [Google]
quark-gluon-plasma.jpg
152KB, 1000x779px
how could i power a light with a tv coax cable?
>>
>>1125321
Could you elaborate on why exactly you want to do this and what your TV offers in Connections? I really can't imagine a situation where it wouldn't be more practical to use another power source.
>>
>>1125321
>>>1125321
>Could you elaborate on why exactly you want to do this and what your TV offers in Connections? I really can't imagine a situation where it wouldn't be more practical to use a "different" power source.
>>
>>1125423
>>>1125321 (OP)
>>>>1125321 (OP)
>>Could you elaborate on why exactly you want to do this and what your TV offers in Connections? I really can't imagine a situation where it wouldn't be more practical to use a "different" power source.

>>1125321 (OP)
>>>1125321 (OP)
>Could you elaborate on why exactly you want to do this and what your TV offers in Connections? I really can't imagine a situation where it wouldn't be more practical to use a "different" power source.
>>
>>1125321
Connect the common and live wire to each end of the copper coax and the GFI to the coax shield.

This can sometime trip the breaker but coax self limits current so go ahead and short the breaker.
>>
>>1125321
Tv cables can carry a dc bias e.g. to power a masthead amplifier. One of these systems could be modified to power a very small lamp. Satellite receivers use similar thing to power lnb at the dish.
Nothing to stop you using tv coax for mains as long as you follow the relevant local regulations, the most basic universal ones will be overcurrent protection based on the current carrying capacity of the cable and its installation method as well as the voltage rating of any insulating layers between conductors and humans.
The cross sectional area of the shield layer is probably very small which will limit the current carrying capacity.
If you are interested in using coaxial style cable rather than specifically tv cable you might like to look at micc or 'pyro' where multiple bare conductors are insulated with chalk like powder inside a solid rigid copper tube that must be bent during installation. There are also concentric and split concentric cables which aren't really coaxial at all but could be called similar.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.