[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resin noob

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

I'd like to use resin in an art project. Imagine I took a small bronze elephant statue and started painting it with layers of resin, adding small details (paint) each layer. A layer would be thin I assume, so it would be like 30 layers or however many are required to get maybe 3/8ths of an inch depth. Is there a particular formula of resin best suited for this? I'd shoot for clear and bubble-less; I see people use heatguns for the bubbles, would this cause the resin to just flow off the sides of the elephant? What sort of buildup can I expect each layer? How cured does it have to be before I can paint on it? Should I brush it on, or try to pour it over? What sort of transparent clarity can I assume I'll end up with?

Thanks, all help is appreciated
>>
>>1125188
>small bronze elephant statue
>>1125188
>ayers of resin,
>>1125188
>3/8ths of an inch depth

Print a picture of the statue actual size of small statue.
Draw a line 3/8" around the outside of the statue figure.on the print.

Is this really what you're expecting?
>>
File: elephant.jpg (69KB, 447x444px) Image search: [Google]
elephant.jpg
69KB, 447x444px
>>1125216

You end up with just a blob with a small statue in the center.
>>
>>1125218
I was thinking more of a 10" tall elephant, so the 3/8" would actually be pretty thin. Beyond that, are you able to address any of the various questions?
>>
>>1125225
I've only use stuff like clear-cast and from using it I don't think you have a lot of control.

Brushing it causes bubbles
Dipping has less chance for bubbles but no means to control thickness as it drips off.

If you practiced you may find a way of brushing causing the fewest bubbles and those that did form could be broken with a small instrument or brush before they set.

I'd like to help more but I've only done flat surface coating with it.
>>
>>1125233

thanks anyhow, kinda confirms my worries though

can I spray a clearcoat of some sort that dries quicker albeit much thinner? polyurethane spray?
>>
>>1125253

Maybe 1K acrylic lacquer? You can do a new coat after a few minutes.

I'd try it with dip coating though.
>>
>>1125286
the thing with dipping is that it requires a huge amount of resin and that shit dries up, it wouldn't work cost wise if I'm expecting 10 dipping sessions where I then have to cure it for hours also.

The idea of a spray is sounding better to me, I guess I should buy some different products and see what sort of buildup I can get. alternatively I can brush the resin down the elephant in one direction with a sponge brush and see what I can manage with a heat gun or torch. specific knowledge is still appreciated
>>
File: 1468016517972.jpg (45KB, 548x700px) Image search: [Google]
1468016517972.jpg
45KB, 548x700px
/TG has paint threads
>>
>I'd like to use resin in an art project.
no you don't
>Imagine I took a small bronze elephant statue and started painting it with layers of resin
it'd look like shit
>>
>>1126387
While /cgl/ has info about working with resin
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.