[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tiny home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

File: imagag.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
imagag.jpg
1B, 486x500px
hi guys, i need a little tips and tricks or perhaps a guide on building a tiny home. i'm not planning on building it yet but my limitations are

> it has to be $60,000 or less
> a footprint no more than 150 square feet and 1800 cubic feet.
> it has to work sustainable "off the grid" (as in i can go without electricity or city plumbing and such)

i'm hoping to be finished with the design/planning of this house over the next 9 weeks. i'll start building soon after that.
>>
Get planks and put them together. Use cardboard box as foundation. Then add wheels.

This shit will appreciate in value. You can thank me later.
>>
File: dsc_0219.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
dsc_0219.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1124923
What about a yurt?
Ridiculosuly cheap, can be easly dissassembled for transport, some ppl prefer a single huge room.
>>
>>1124923
$60,000 is ridiculously expensive

Try <$5000 for moderate builds
>>
>>1124923
>it has to be $60,000 or less
You can get a 3 bedroom built in most non-metropolitan parts of the US for $60k if you already own the land. That would also be a 20% down payment on a $300k house, which, again, would be a good sized place outside of most cities. You seriously need to google this shit first because you are off in lala land.
>>
Make it out of gold and white rhino horn, that should put you under budget for a 150 sqft house.
>>
>>1124969
Your first lala land clue should've been the fact that is a tiny home thread. Now where's that bingo template? This OP has to be close already.
>>
>>1124961
>some ppl prefer a single huge room
and if its a a more semi-perm installation you could actually divide up the single room with walls. the walls could be made modular; they could assemble and be disassembled still keeping the whole thing movable if needed.
plus you get that sweet bubble dome skylight in the center!!!

bet if you went with a smaller diameter yurt you could actually come up with a trailer mounted version.
>>
File: yurt trailer.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
yurt trailer.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1124976
here's a 5 minute sketch of an idea for this; trailer with fold-down "flaps" that for a platform for the yurt to be set up on. when packed up the "flaps" are vertical forming walls to hold the rolled up yurt and everything else that goes with the yurt on the trailer.
obviously this wouldn't be for constant moving around changing your location. better for a more permanent setup but still could be packed up and moved if you needed to.
>>
>>1124923
A house is a solution to a specific problem. Don't chase problems looking for one that fits your preferred solution. Use your problem to choose best solution.

Explicitly post your situation and how you think a tiny house will solve your problem. It may very well do so and they aren't difficult to construct.

Do you need wheels under it like pic related? Is there a particular reason to have a high-pitched roof like pic related instead of an attractive "shed roof"?

Remember bridge height limits because you'll have to move the thing.

What area you live in? Climate is relevant.

What building codes apply or may apply and HAVE YOU THOROUGHLY READ YOUR LOCAL LAWS? Get current hard copies of everything.
>>
File: yurt trailer2.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
yurt trailer2.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1124981
yurt set-up sketch
>>
tinyhomes are for people that don't actually live in a home
it is the lifestyle obbession of people who don't acutally enjoy lifestyle
tinyhomes are fucking cancer
go move to communist china and live in a shoebox and sleep on a literal flat wooden board like everyone there
or just move to a trailerpack and you wil lrealise you are trying to fill a void of purpose with romanticism
my advice?
join the navy
>>
>>1124923
>$60,000 or less

Holy shit, that's a lot of money.

Anyway, do you want to make it . Tiny, mobile house? Or just stationary?
Do you want to make it all yourself, or can use some pre-built parts?

If you were to go for a mobile home i'd take something like those things they use to move boats on wheels, or maybe a mall container that is around 20sqft.

Many options, OP what do you have planned?
>>
Dude you can buy 30 year old pop up campers for nothing and fix them up cheap.
>>
>>1124923
Honestly you can go really fuckin cheap if you DIY it and use reclaimed wood.

You should look into earthbag, cordwood, and cob building as well
>>
>>1126065

People hoard free stuff so much that finding free wood is more trouble than its worth.

Honestly people sit at home searching Craigslist and calling and HOARD free things and let them rot in their yard.

You can't compete with that OP. Use that time to work a paid job and you'll be able to afford brand new wood in half the time it'd take you to get it before the hoarders do.
>>
>>1124998

Not everyone wants to be enslaved by a mortgage and pay 1/3 of all the money they'll earn just so they can have a place to lay their head.

Brand new homes fall apart as soon as you've paid them off, too. Meanwhile homes made from mud and rock are still standing after thousands of years.

The housing market cannot provide that kind of longevity even though cavemen and tribes could.

HOUSES ARENT WORTH SHIT at the moment.
>>
workin on some similar stuff, if you want power this seems like an alright starting place for someone with no solar experience
http://www.instructables.com/id/Apartment-Solar-System/?ALLSTEPS
>>
>>1124998
this guy doesn't get it
>>
>>1124998
Why the fuck would I bother paying for more space that I don't want? This isn't about romanticism, it's about practicality. If someone doesn't mind living in a small space, it's much cheaper to live in a small housing structure. How retarded do you have to be to get upset because people like to live less expensively? What's up with you people? Or possibly you are one of (((them))) and don't like seeing people taking actions that benefit them more than your expansive wallet.
>>
>>1126085
Somebody drank the Koolaid... You seem angry, anon. Why not split the difference, so to speak, and get a house from the 60's or 70's. There are a few issues to look for, but once you have a clue what they are you're good. The price will probably be right as well.
>>
>>1124969
obviously op plans to build a secret underground shipping container bunker below his tinyhome, camouflaging the container parts that exceed his 150 squarefoot dimension with a deck made out of pallets.
>>
>>1126085
You don't have to be just buy a real house for $60k cash in a real city in California pay real taxes and own real property. No you don't get to live in San Francisco in someone's back yard for free. no you don't get to buy your own lot in a city and park your trailer house on it. Any city you would want to live in will have ordinances against you living in your tiny house. even out in the country you will not be able to live in it. even most trailer parks will not let you pay for a spot to live in if you have a homebuild tiny house. which is why certified tiny houses are becoming popular. because when you find out the only place you can legally live is a trailer park at least the one you bought from the certified builder will be allowed to park there. Good luck
>>
>>1126482

>60K
>average wage is less than 25K
>after bills and expenses you're lucky to save %10 of earnings
>spending decades of savings on a rotting house moneypit

Dude what you're saying makes NO financial sense. People buy a house for themselves then rent it out to recoup the loss they made.

I don't want that. I don't want to force people to be wage slaves so that I don't lose money from my bad decisions.

That sounds like a shitty thing to do.
>>
>>1124961
that looks cozy as fuck.
this would be great for extended camping vacations and such.
>>
>>1124961
This is seriously legit post.

I am in the very slow beginning stages of my own "tiny" house and have found myself thinking often that I should have just put money towards land first and lived in a yurt or similar to start. Then build a larger home using materials from the land.

My plan is still working out well though. I have a free place to live for the next couple years while I clear my debt and build my house then I'll just ship it and be set. Will be able to just work part time from there for the rest of my life.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>1126709
Do you plan to have a storm shelter? Because a tiny house is ideally just a higher-end trailer home. Both financially and legally.
>>
>>1126085

>tfw interest rates are historic lows

>tfw my property value is increasing15-20% a year

> tfw your tiny home is worthless after you drop 60K into it

> tfw you live in a glorified closet

tiny homes lmfao
>>
File: 1476360701484.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1476360701484.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1124923
>$60,000

nigga, you can get a real house on an acre + for that much money. why would you spend that much on a fucking trailer? even a top tier airstream would only cost you 30k and be twice as good as whatever bullshit you slap together.
>>
>>1127052
>top tier airstream
>only 30k

You idiot, the shit tier air streams don't even start until $40k

The nice ones are all around $100k
>>
>>1126816
Do not plan on one. I am building in a 40' high cube container and will be putting it on anchored cement blocks. It's sitting on ghetto wood blocks for the past year and weathered all sorts of storms with no issues.

>>1127048
Dropping 60k into a tiny house is truly pointless. People have forgotten the purpose of going with a tiny house. You can get it done super cheap and nice and have a cozy place to hold over while you save and build big. My build (minus the eventual tesla battery) tops out at 9k and that includes the container which I have already purchased. If you are breaking 10k on a tiny house you are doing it completely wrong.
>>
>get told to go back to your cuck shed
>op actually does it
The complete madman
>>
>>1124961
That sounds great, but what about zoning and HOA or whatever? How do you get around the laws saying it's classified as a temporary structure?

>>1127060
Can you tell us about how you save money in building?
>>
>>1124923
you can buy a brand new 3 bed 2 bath trailer with nice decor for 40k
>>
>>1127081
Main cost savings came in design/planning stages honestly. It's also a small space so doesn't really cost much to build anyway. Thinking ahead and really putting pen to paper is super important.
>>
1 free bump in hope of more information .
>>
>>1124923

My buddy is building one right now. Doesn't seem too hard. It's very similar to a home. You get the trailer, frame it up, roof it, etc etc etc.

I can't see you going over $30k. And with your requirements you should be at about $20k or less.

No electricity would be fine, but IDK how it would work without plumbing. What about a sink? Shower? Toilet?
>>
>>1124923
shipping container
bury it
some old pallets
>>
>>1124961
How are you going to put a shitter in a yurt?
>>
>>1127437
same as a tiny house - its just going to be able to be moveable (i.e. pipes under floor can disconnect etc)
or you go with the composting type which are portable.
>>
>>1127081
>what about zoning and HOA
you aren't going to be putting this in the suburbs next door to a row of McMansions! you are going to have to be out in the sticks - where zoning is loose and there are no HOAs.
>>
>>1127627
In a tiny house you can have a closed bathroom or the very least a divider.

But a yurt is one big open space

In a yurt
>>
I built mine from the scratch...It is in Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta (Colombia) I know it is not Big deal but I am proud of my first DIY project ever...
>>
File: IMG-20170108-WA0001.jpg (520KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170108-WA0001.jpg
520KB, 2560x1440px
It took me about a month of hard work and only about $1500...I didn't even know how to make concrete or columns. Building a tiny cabin made me learn a lot.
>>
>>1127697
Is it the only dwelling on the property? Or is it just like a shed in your back yard
>>
>>1127710
It is the only one so far...Im planning on building a few more for rent...like a tiny cabins eco-hostel...I needed to have a place where i could rest my head at least.
>>
>>1127695
>>1127697

literally a shed with no insulation or waterproofing or anything at all other than a wooden box... a crowbar will destroy it, would not live in it/10
>>
>>1124923
I wish this meme would die. What you should do is:
>move back into your parents house
>grab some crawlspace
>don't let them know though
>free wifi ftw
>forage for supplies under the cover of night
>become a cave troll IRL
>???????
>profit

There, you now have 60 thousand extra dollars with practically no living costs or other financial obligations.
>>
>>1127722
Palmettos only grow in tropical and subtropical climates where there is no need for insulation.
>>
>>1127722
Neither would I...if I were you ;)
>>
>>1126561
so you want to build a tiny house for 60k that will be worth 10k when your done building it. With no where in a city that you want to live in to put it legally. Then you will just give it away and rent an apartment. You could hide it out in the country but then you would have to commute to the city for your job and entertainment. Or you could live in a trailer park with the rest of the trash. but you obviously don't want to do that because you would just buy a trailer instead of a meme shack. Tell us op where do you want to live in your holier–than–thou trailer house?
>>
>>1127751
post the full picture.

pls
>>
>>1128263

Im not trying to be holier than thou I'm just poor as fuck and don't want to start a karmic cycle
>>
>>1124923
If your looking at unconventional houses you might want to look at geodesic dome homes.

They are kinda nifty
>>
How long will it be until zoning allows tiny houses? I live in the bay area and theres some clamoring for it what with insane rent.
>>
Just buy a semi nice car to live in.
>>
>>1127052
>you can get a real house on an acre + for that much money
Maybe in Africa where it's all so tiring ...
>>
File: Capture1.png (344KB, 1535x729px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
344KB, 1535x729px
>>1128876
Or even a box truck ...
>>
>>1128678
>Poor as fuck
>Wants to build a $60,000 playhouse
>Kys
>>
>>1128830
You'd think that the cheaper solution would be to erect tenements with tiny hotel-like suites, not 60,000$ single unit meme homes on entire plots.
>>
>>1124923
Why not simply buy a trailer or camper?
Buy a used one and invest some into DIY the shit out of it... i.e. slap solar panels on top, isolate it for your climate, renovate the interior etc.
Use a gas stove for your kitchen and a small wood stove for heating (some also have a plate on top for cooking so you could go with two fuel sources)

Would be vastly cheaper and you wouldnt be so dependant on the grid. Also it seems to be not a lot smaller then this "house"
>>
File: teaser-excellent.jpg (142KB, 1200x400px)
teaser-excellent.jpg
142KB, 1200x400px
>>1128930
what this guy said
>>
>>1128930
This times a million. You can get ones that are only a few years old for 60% of retail price on CL all of the time. Often times people get them, use them a few times, realize they are expensive as fuck to haul around on vacations and sell them after a few years.
>>
File: 1481399364582.gif (4MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481399364582.gif
4MB, 480x480px
>>1128891
> be me
> get job offer out of college as an engineer at Google
> starting salary $200k but have to relocate to San Francisco
> it's a lot of work, but fulfilling and they pay for everything
> very busy since my first day so I postpone finding an apartment and unloading the uhaul I rented
> end up sleeping in said uhaul
> 5 years goes by and I've accidentally saved enough to retire
> mfw
>>
>>1129263
I bet he started the blog on the advice of a lawyer to not look like Tim Mcveigh
>>
so uh, where do you park these tiny homes?

>>1128889
I think he means enough for a down payment and closing costs, which it definitely is
>>
>>1129263
are you planning on retiring in a rented uhaul?
>>
>>1129263
t. regards xang hui pajeet
Google is best employer many rupees
>>
>>1129263
Is that Chris Christie?
>>
actually wanting to be a gypsie
>>
File: 1485983958916.jpg (183KB, 462x533px) Image search: [Google]
1485983958916.jpg
183KB, 462x533px
So I am on the road to building a tiny house myself, and have been looking at trailers to build it on. I don't quiet care about what size it ends up, as small as 150 sq ft, or as big as whatever. The process though is something I'm curious to see if i'm doing 'right'? Thus far, been browsing for trailers, and been learning google sketchup, because from what I understand if you can build it in sketchup, you can build it irl with little difficulty. Obviously there are steps on the in between but I think this aught to work. What do you think /diy/?
>>
>>1127695
Como putas recibiste un permiso para construír ahí?

O es ilegal?
>>
>>1129851
Should probably work but I dunno why you'd need to model your shed house to figure out how to build it, just sketch up some blueprints and nail some boards together.
>>
>>1128903

That wasn't me.
>>
>>1128830
Move to Fresno they allow it. live your dream of the backyard lifestyle walking distance from the arts district. but ya rich people in nice expensive areas don't want tiny trash in their neighborhood no matter how much they virtue signal. Not in my backyard
>>
>>1124923
This is actually a really fun idea now that I come to think about it... you could literally go anywhere the fuck you wanted.... and live there...
>>
>>1124923
Holy shit, I'll buy 5.
>>
>>1124923
Cardboard Box
>>
So any of you live in travel trailers?
>>
File: DIYCaptcha.png (765KB, 561x901px) Image search: [Google]
DIYCaptcha.png
765KB, 561x901px
>>1124923
>>
>>1128889
>>1129442

In the US. In the great plains area you can get 4x the house for the same cost as you would have to expend on the coasts. In a city.
>>
File: 1302977968628.jpg (80KB, 492x559px) Image search: [Google]
1302977968628.jpg
80KB, 492x559px
>>1124923
> for a memehouse that's the size of a pop-up camper
>>
File: something like this.jpg (25KB, 466x350px) Image search: [Google]
something like this.jpg
25KB, 466x350px
>>1128930
>>1129250
>>1129253

My soon-top-be-divorced buddy is going to be selling their 32' double slide-out camper (the kids room could be covered to an office) and will probably only $10-12,000 for it (thou I hear they still owe over $15K on it).
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.