[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I was supposed to start a course in electrotechnology but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: dscf7751.jpg (264KB, 690x497px) Image search: [Google]
dscf7751.jpg
264KB, 690x497px
So I was supposed to start a course in electrotechnology but they are filled up for this semester. Next semester starts in July.

I've got no job and a lot of time to kill between now and then. What are some good books to read up on to prepare myself?

My ultimate goal is to join medecins sans frontiers as an electrician who can repair anything; generators, water pumps, 4WDs, medical equipment, radios, computers. Anything that is needed in a field type scenario, similar to a medical hospital for the army.

I have no skills at the moment and I really need someone to point me in the right direction because I am so overwhelmed and no idea where to start.

Thank you in advance.
>>
>>1124807

Well what field of electrotechnology are you planning to main, the electro- part (circuits, a bit of chips, electromagnetism and its uses in motors etc. ) Or the technology part (more practical, macroscopic parts, how they work together, machinery, devices and how they are built, mechanics)?
You said you wanna be able to repair stuff mostly, so I guess you'd be more interested in how parts work together and not how they themselves work, right?
>>
>>1124807
Try Millman and Halkias and Millman and Taub for electronic devices and power & control respectively.

Without you articulating what your objective is, it's all I can recommend.
>>
>>1124807

Perhaps instead of reading books to get prepared, try actually taking things and fixing them?

For me, I'm somewhat book smart. I can design and think critically about designing things, but when it comes to actually making/repairing I come up short on knowing the tools and techniques that it takes to make the build or repair.

So instead of reading books, buy a small motor and other equipment and open them up. Take a look at things physically and dick around with them. You might even try breaking things and then try to repair it. Sort of simulating something you think you might see in the real world that you'd have to fix.

Just a thought.
>>
File: DSC_0380.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px)
DSC_0380.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
There are many good books out there, but nothing like a good old lecture.

Look at YouTube for nptel. It is a Indian University. The accent is a bit annoying, but they have a lot of useful stuff.

You should also look at coursea they have a few lectures on electronics.

EEVblog also has a lot of good content, but also a lot of junk. This guy will however tell you about some practical stuff, and how components are not ideal..

But you should definitely get hold of a breadboard, some basic components, and a soldering iron.

Try to design and build simple stuff like a class a amplifier, some logic gating and maybe a switched power circuit like a boost or buck converter..

LTspice will also be useful..
>>
>>1124921
>shit soldering

ffs learn to solder
>>
>>1124924
I agree that solders on the terminals ate bad.

I do know how to solder, but you can't solder a large thermal mass with a small iron and tip..
You have to pass with the cock you got.. Even if it is the wrong tool..
>>
>>1124937
>shit
>I KNOW HWO TO DO THIS SHIT, BUT YOU CANT DO IT WITHOUIT X AND Y YOU HAVE TO DO IT ANYWAY EVEN IF IT IS WRONG AND SHIT AND WILL MAKE IT SHIT

kill yourself
>>
>>1124939
You have a serious mental issue.

OP you could also look at Sedra/Smith 'micro circuits'
And Allan R. Hambly 'electrical engineering'
>>
>>1124807

Fix up an old car, taking apart and rebuilding the engine. Try to repair broken down washing machines.

Learn just enough about modern electronics to realise that if it's not power supply components which are buggered repair is usually not worth the bother and/or impossible without specialized tools and components.
>>
>>1124956

This along with the earlier post about fixing broken shit. You can't learn everything in books.
>>
>>1125074
Except that's how you learn how to repair medical devices. They all come with a repair manual followed by a QC stage.
>>
>>1124807
why are you joining a college program instead of trying out to become an apprentice electrician?
>>
File: 7vWn1Xx.gif (3MB, 448x251px)
7vWn1Xx.gif
3MB, 448x251px
>>1124807
Here:
http://pastebin.com/c9kVUDxK
Some anon on /pol/ compiled that. It's mostly PLC's and robotics, but the basics are there as well.
If you didn't get in, you could have asked your professor if he had any recommendations where you could learn yourself.
>>
>>1125083

Sure. Good job making a very specific point. I agree with you.

When it comes down to it, working with real devices in hand are what matters. My point is not specific, just generic, commonly overlooked advice.
>>
I suggest taking a mechatronics course in community college. For working on electronics nothing beats formal training and in mechatronics you'll be exposed to a variety of components and systems.

You can also take an auto mechanics course. That will teach you principles applicable to many machines and you'll get some hands-on time with the hardware.

It takes many years to build a broad mechanical and electronic skillset. Formal training at the start will teach you how to learn effectively. You also need to study ferociously. I have no hobbies or interests that don't dovetail in support of my professional and /diy/ skills.

One way to get the tactile experience you will need is to take apart junk machinery. Autos and components are fine. Do so methodically and if you don't know the name of the part, find out.

To be effective in the field you'll need to have done some related work. Study complements experience. I suggest you get a job in the trades.
>>
>>1125150

This advice in my experience is exactly what OP should be doing. Everything this guy has said is pretty solid info.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.