[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay I need some bushcrafters or anyone knowledgeable, I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Okay I need some bushcrafters or anyone knowledgeable, I have this cheap Coleman hatchet and I want to rehandle it the axe head is good and of quality but the handle is shit any ideas?
>>
File: 617pvb7PVBL._SY355_.jpg (6KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
617pvb7PVBL._SY355_.jpg
6KB, 355x355px
>>
Dont think the head is (easily) removable on them as they just bung the handle into it and probably have welded it there
>>
>>1124505
I got one of those cheap motherfuckers to. Someone gave it to me for Christmas or some shit. Yeah I'm pretty sure you take the handle off you just be stuck with a broken fucking hatchet.
>>
>>1124505
buy something with a wooden hammer
if your out in the bush your fucked if you break your fiberglass or metal handle but you can make a new wood handle with just the hatchet head.
also new is not better in this case the steel for these was better 50+ years ago
the shit that is sold these days is mostly a novelty good bought pretty much solely on looks
>>
>>1124538
Ditto on the steel quality. OP, look in your area for any used tool stores, large antique stores, or garage sales for old tools, or in your case Hatchets. I've found some nice blacksmithing hammers and tongs in a large antique store near me.
>>
Should I just find a good axe/ hatchet head and rehandle it?
>>
>>1124541
yes

old and rusty is a problem either as long as its not severely pitted near the cutting edge
>>
Re-handling isn't worth your time. No part of that axe is worth saving.
>>
>>1124505
I guaruntee that any Coleman brand hatchet made in the last ever years is not worth re-hafting. It doesn't even have a eye, it's a solid piece of something resembling steel.

If by chance you do come accross a quality axe head that needs a handle, here's the definitive guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I55QyJXHk2E
>>
>the axe head is good and of quality
no it's not
>>
>>1124505
I just put new wood handles on a camp hatchet and a bricklayers hammer. They cost $6 each.
>>
>go get a reputable axe like a Husqvarna or a Fiskars

end of instructions
>>
>>1125291
>Fiskars

No...
>>
>>1125490
when and how did you break yours?
>>
>>1124505
As others have said, not worth rehandling it.

However, if you're looking for a new axe, the ones made by Best Made Co. are very nice. They run about $160 though.

https://www.bestmadeco.com/shop/products/the-axe-shop
>>
What the fuck is it these days with all these axe hipsters with their bushcraft and muh grandfathers axe shit? Does nobody notice when they get sucked into an infant like state of nostalgia for a time which never actually existed where millennials watch youtube videos of the fathers they wished they had doing outdoors shit to a comfy bluegrass soundtrack? STOP IT.

My father is a farmer. He has an axe that looked like it came up from the titanic which he sharpens with an angle grinder about once every 5 years. He welded it to a piece of steel bar instead of putting a proper handle on it and he has an old workshop rag wrapped around the handle.

I had a splitting maul with a wooden handle. It eventually split. I bought a comfy fibreglass one and never looked back. They are tools, you use them until they fail and then you repair them as suits your budget and ability against your need to actually get on with work or you buy another one.

>>1125860
>The American series Bobby McGee at $350 is a window into the wilderness.

Fuck you I'm done with you virgins.
>>
>>1125870
>farmers are cheap fucks that rig everything and use the lowest quality they can get by with

You are giving us any revelations anon.
Just because something is a tool doesnt mean that a better tools isnt superior.
>>
>>1125860
>paying 160$ for a axe

just get one that is old and rusted and hit it with a wire brush on a grinder
>>
>>1125887
Yeah there are tools and then there are oak smoked artisan tools, not made, but birthed by craftsmen and women responsible for a renaissance in creative tool craft and yeah fuck off man, I get it but I don't have to believe in the value of it. There is a line and a point for utility, quality and cost and I don't want to be a tool hipster.
>>
>>1125887
Other tools may be superior, but unless you are a collector you can tailor your tool selection to the actual WORK you do with the tools.

Hatchets a shit for most tasks. If you constantly use one then it's worth the effort to get an appropriate style for your job. Otherwise an ugly, cheap hatchet may serve fine. I have pic related I got in a load of worthwhile tools. A few seconds with a flap disc sharpened it sufficient for occasional use. I don't cut trees down with the thing, I use it to tap felling wedges and remove small branches when chainsawing. It doesn't need a premium handle in that application nor would I waste the effort to modify it.
>>
>>1124505

I had one of those for over a decade and would only use occasionally. I gave it to my son for scouts. He's used it a bunch and this last summer we took it camping, and we did a lot of camping and wood prep.

I obviously prefer my husqvarna, but that little coleman piece of shit is a lot tougher than it looks. And the handle is pretty comfy.

My only real complaint with it is the head is shaped for chopping and not splitting, but you can make it work.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.