[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i want to get some tools for woodworking, what chisels arent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 41OpTlmDsKL._SY400_.jpg (17KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
41OpTlmDsKL._SY400_.jpg
17KB, 500x350px
i want to get some tools for woodworking, what chisels arent shit and are available in Australia? on top of that how can you tell in general whether a tool is good or not? looking to get other stuff like a table saw, one of yhose pull down saws, etc
>>
>>1124275
>how can you tell in general whether a tool is good or not?

If it looks and feels well made, its likely to be good.
>>
They're all the same really. The Harbor Freight $10/set will work just as nicely as Lie Nielsen shit provided you flatten the backs and spend a bit of time honing them. Don't be a hand tool fetishist.
>>
>>1124291
They definitely wont work the same.
But they will both do the job.

Forcing yourself to suffer using shit tools won't make you a big boss man.
>>
>>1124275
UK fag here. You can buy reasonably budget chisels to start with. A 3 pack in small, med and large.

See how things go. If you really get into diy/woodwork then spend money at a ratio that reflects how much time and love you'll be putting in.

No point getting top notch kit for two busted arse unfinished projects where you ran out of motivation or your skills turn out to be inferior to your artistic (or autistic) vision.
>>
>>1124303
After you put a little elbow grease into fine tuning the chisels there is no difference. I doubt the steel used in the expensive ones is noticeably better either.

That said I did spend a bunch of money on a pair of Stanley Sweetheart planes, because the heavier castings, thicker blades, and better machined castings makes a big difference in usability. Can't say the same for chisels, screwdrivers, and wrenches.
>>
>>1124334
Chisels have fairly noticeable differences from one brand to another, and the good ones are good for a reason. Unless you're ready to grind your chisel thinner, too, for example, and then cut off the tang and weld on a socket...

But yeah. Nothing wrong with cheap chisels. They're not a priority upgrade afaik.
>>
>>1124334
Last time I saw a serious study, price had no effect on quality of steel, except at the extremes of dollar store and $400.
It DID have a major effect on how well ground/sharpened they were out of the box.

But you kind of need to be setup to sharpen if youre actually going to use them.

the expensive steel is harder, so it keeps an edge longer, but takes more time/effort to sharpen.
my solution has been to get three cheap sets, and set a chisel aside whenever I start needing to use the mallet, and sit down with a jig and sharpen while watching a movie every few weeks. probably about 1hr every 15-20 shop hrs.
I feel like a good chisel I would spend the same ratio of time on sharpening and get about the same results, it'd just be 2.5hrs to get a really fine edge per 60 hrs of shop time, because of the obligation to take care of them because cost.

to be fair, specialty chisels like lathe chisels, crooknecked chisels, morticing chisels etc. are spendy.

>>1124303
>>1124334
90% of the time the difference is that shit tools make you tired @ hr 3, good tools keep you comfortable into hr 6.
dull/bent tools, however, can fuck you.

Power tools, watch for accurate settings/blade vibrations. different types have different things to watch for.

Mitre saws are almost never accurate, the hinge is always slightly wobbly. even a shit tablesaw and a sled will do much better.
>>
>>1124317
>A 3 pack in small, med and large.
Woah, woah now. Those sizes aren't metric. You'll piss off crapauds if you keep that up. Do it enough time and it summons them, like bloody Mary.

>>1124291
Go cut some cheese with a butter knife, it's about the same thing.

>>1124334
>I doubt the steel used in the expensive ones is noticeably better either.
You sound like someone that doesn't even use tools more than a few times anyway. In you case, yeah, it won't matter because you'll never use even shit Chinesium enough to dull it.

>I did spend a bunch of money on a pair of Stanley Sweetheart planes
If they were the new ones they start making a few years ago you got robbed. They are fine but you could have gotten a pair of real sweethearts for half the price. But, hey, we established you don't really know much about tools or even use them that often, so, whatever floats your goat.

>>1125244
>Nothing wrong with cheap chisels. They're not a priority upgrade afaik.
Agree. Especially for a beginner. The number of times I dropped my fucking paring chisels when I was starting out, ugh. Helps you learn to sharpen chisels, though. I started with a set of plastic handled Craftsmans. They were solid, held an edge well and landed handle side down 2/3rd of the time when you dropped them. Very handy. Eventually, I got a set of Stanley's from back in the day at a garage sale and they were a step up. More comfortable handles, a bit lighter, great steel. Get a decent, cheaper set and by the time you are done with them you'll know what to look for in a new set.
>>
>>1124275
https://www.carbatec.com.au/
and
http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/

Sell some fairly decent gear, its not cheap though. Most of the better wood carving chisels come from Germany, US and Japan
>>
I bought a set of 5 Narex ones for 30 USD that are pretty nice. Wood handles, made in Czech Republic, seem to hold an edge pretty well
>>
In Australia go to carbatec for all wood stuff
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.