[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are good screwdrivers to remove the case of an NES? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: nes.png (315KB, 557x423px) Image search: [Google]
nes.png
315KB, 557x423px
What are good screwdrivers to remove the case of an NES?

What I know is that it's definitely very tiny Phillips screws, looking like a cross. According to ifixit they're 13.25mm in size?
Is a PH1x80 screwdriver good, or should I go with a smaller one? How about a flathead?

Does anyone have experience with that?
>>
Also, I'm sorry that I will not reply for now, I'm going to sleep now...
>>
>>1124112
This is completely fucking retarded. Why are you making a thread when you know the answer already?
>>
Yep, #1 or #0 Phillips is what you want. You want a standard screwdriver, not one with a bit holder that won't fit in the holes. With Phillips you'll usually be fine with one that's a size smaller than the screws, but you *should* always use the correct size.
>>
File: Moody.gif (697KB, 817x1464px) Image search: [Google]
Moody.gif
697KB, 817x1464px
>>1124112
They might be JIS rather than Phillips, in which case using a Phillips driver might risk stripping them.

The whole JIS vs. Phillips thing can be a bit confusing. Basically the Japanese often used a different type of screw that looks like Phillips but isn't and is easily stripped by typical Phillips drivers. However, from what I understand, JIS is basically defunct. There is a certain new-ish Phillips standard that some drivers are made to that are compatible with true JIS screws, but there are still plenty of Phillips drivers produced that don't conform to that standard.

tl;dr just buy a set of drivers that claim to be JIS drivers, which might either be old JIS or new JIS-compatible Phillips standard, but either way it will work. Even if they are true Phillips, any JIS driver will work for those too, and many people say they work even better.

I have a set made by Moody Tools with JIS #000 through #1 which seems pretty nice. Covers any tiny JIS or Phillips that I ever come across. Mine are the "extended reach" versions with longer shanks, which can be needed for deep recesses like it looks like the NES has.
>>
>>1124137
I know, this might sound retarded but is there a way I should unscrew them? Some sources claim they're up to 40mm inside-- does it matter in which direction I should go? I never felt any release, no matter in which direction I went.

>>1124198
Ah, if that's so that sucks. In all tutorial videos I've seen and instructions I've received they said a standard Phillips driver should work. No idea if this would work with an European version, though, since maybe they were supposed to use different standards.

Additionally, what do you think of this trick? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqleaD3yYys
Basically burning the tip of a pen and waiting until it cools down to cover the screw head. Is it too risky?
>>
>>1124399
>I know, this might sound retarded but is there a way I should unscrew them? Some sources claim they're up to 40mm inside-- does it matter in which direction I should go? I never felt any release, no matter in which direction I wen

No offense or anything, but you're really overthinking this. They're just like regular screws, lefty loosey and righty tighty tier philips shit. Get the right size screw driver, not smaller because there is a risk of stripping the screws, and just unscrew it. You may have to apply some pressure if they don't move, because they could have loctite on them and the age of the console. If it still doesn't budge, stick the screwdriver in and then tap the end with a hammer to give it a shock. Pay special attention to the tap part, in other words, don't over do it because you're working with plastic, but you don't have to super duper gentle with it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.