[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Picking wood for a board game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: razzle.jpg (89KB, 704x521px) Image search: [Google]
razzle.jpg
89KB, 704x521px
Any people with knowledge of wood and carpentry here?

I've been working on a razzle board (pic related). I'm having trouble picking a correct type of wood - being an idiot, I bought spruce, which not only splintered along the lines the holes are arranged in when drilled into, but also got crooked after just one night of being stored in a garage. So, what should I get? Requirements:
- ability to drill the holes without damaging the board;
- resistance to crooking in changing humidity and temperature;
- affordability (I live outside of the US, so any figure I provide won't tell Americans anything, basically something non-exotic).

Thank you in advance for any help.
>>
>>1124080
some type of hardwood. which species are affordable depend on where you are located.

no matter what wood you use you either want to drill into a sacrificial piece that is clamped to the piece you are working on or drill from both sides. this prevents splintering on the side the side the bit is exiting.

get something kiln dried. don't leave it in the garage. temperature and humidity will warp your board.
>>
File: concept.jpg (48KB, 735x660px) Image search: [Google]
concept.jpg
48KB, 735x660px
>>1124085
Thank you very much. Have a rare Pepe.
>>
You can use one of those fancy cutting boards for this.
>>
medium density fiber board (MDF)
it is ugly but can take paint very well
easy to work with just dusty

if you want pretty I second kiln dried hard wood and sharp tools
>>
File: 1443048705094.jpg (28KB, 565x463px) Image search: [Google]
1443048705094.jpg
28KB, 565x463px
>>1124319
>MDF
>>
>>1124080
Oak (or other hardwood) plywood. Stack it as thick as practical for warp resistance. Drill as per >>1124085, and apply a moisture resistant finish. Be sure to get it in all the holes.
>>
>>1124344
Thanks for advice, if the thread doesn't die I'll post photos of the finished board.
>>
>>1124080
>Razzle

How do you play your Razzle? Are the numbers worth what they are or is it the scam version?
>>
File: 55880302.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
55880302.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>1124319
>MDF
>Takes paint well
>>
>>1124319

As a guy who's worked with way more MDF than he would have ever liked to...

Hell fucking no.

That is possibly the second worst choice for making a board game. Even then, it only beats out OSB by a slight margin.

ANY sort of hardwood, does not matter whatsoever, will be a huge improvement over any sort of glue-and-sawdust abomination. Oak and maple are common and pretty inexpensive. For the size you want, you could go a little exotic if you wanted (like cocobolo, ebony, or rosewood) and still nott break the bank.
>>
Maple burl, it'll hold its shape and can be bought off eBay for pretty cheap. It's strong and can have a pretty great grain.
>>
Does ebony work?
>>
>>1128052
When ebony senses that it is being used as a board game, it explodes violently.
>>
>>1124085
Not OP, but why does drilling in that way prevent splintering?
>>
>>1129848
it just werkz

having a scrap piece supporting the back of your work stock keeps the fibers of the back compressed together. otherwise when the bit hits the last couple grain layers it can tend to push them out instead of boring through. basically works like an anvil
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.