[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CMOS Battery laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0271.jpg (3MB, 4160x3088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0271.jpg
3MB, 4160x3088px
The CMOS battery holder came off after I bumped into my laptop with a chair. The ground side of the holder separated off the mother board and it seems to have ripped off the path. I have already try to "carefully" tried to soldered it back on but with no luck of. Does it anyone know where I can find the schematics for it? It's a 17" HP G71. I been debating with my computer savvy friends whether or not to just solder a little "bridge" from the problem point to nearest ground on the mother board
>>
>>1124074
if that is the ground i'd do as you said, but before that i'd epoxy the plastic part to the motherboard
>>
>>1124074
You could just get a cmos battery with them wires and solder said wires. Dont get solder on the motherboard or: ded
>>
>>1124284
The problem is that the contact pad came off the botherboard and it isnt visible where the path was for me to solder it back together.
>>
>>1124074
How the hell do you knock an internal component off a motherboard with a chair..? Did you just leave shit lyign around on your floor or something?
>>
>>1124412
I'm guessing it was bad soldering joint. The edge of the laptop was over the desk and it got hit pretty hard, it kept working fine until it was turned off then it showed with a cmos check sum error and after checking the CMOS battery I started "blaming" the chair
>>
>>1124074

Scratch off some of the soldermark to expose the copper trace and solder it there. It's standard PCB-repair procedure. You can glue the plastic holder on by its bottom if you want to be extra sure it won't lift.
>>
>>1124520

soldermask*
>>
>>1124074
Scrape away some of the solder resist on a near by trace and solder a small jumper, reinforce the battery holder with some hot glue to stop it from breaking free again.
>>
>>1124074
ignore all the answers.
first you need to remove the other pad on the battery holder and remove the battery holder. the trace often runs under the battery holder which is probably why you cant see it.

remove it carefully because it may still be attached to the trace. dont just solder it to any random ground point. the cmos battery is on a separate circuit with its charge controller and the bios chip which may not share a common power ground. ( they often dont because the CPU needs to be uncoupled from the main power supply in order to muh voltage transients.

just remove that battery holder and take another picture, top down, of the board right over the area. also take another where you try to capture light reflecting off the slight ridge the traces form in the solder mask. using the flash also tends to highlight the traces nicely as they are reflective.
>>
File: DSC_3568.jpg (754KB, 3263x2331px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3568.jpg
754KB, 3263x2331px
>>1124074
also protip: you can turn your normal lens into a macro by switching to manual, flipping the lens around and taking a picture through it while you try to hold it straight. also, for phones and stuff, you can get little clip on adaptors that work very well for a dollar.
>>
>>1124074
Glue down the battery holder and find the nearest screwhole on the motherboard and make sure the brass part is part of the ground rail on the board and get a small piece of enamel wire and melt off the tips of the enamel and clean your iron then solder a jumper (bearing in mind you have to put that shit back into the housing) from the solder blob on the ground to the brass ring of the screw hole and you should be good, save yourself the heartache and test the board and make sure it posts before you button it up
>>
>>1125164
>>1125178
This is the man you need to listen to OP. As the CMOS battery is specifically there to provide power backup to the BIOS, it will have its own charge and power circuits specific to that part of the chipset. You cannot simply ground it and hope for the best. Modern motherboards are significantly more complex than that.

> t. embedded systems designer
>>
>>1124415
>I'm guessing it was bad soldering joint

No, The solder held fine as seen in the picture, the whole pad has separated form the board, which clearly indicates rough behavior.

If that pad does not connect any other critical part than the battery to ground, your laptop will be fixed by connecting the negative terminal of a new battery to any ground available. You're lucky as hell it's just the battery that popped off.
>>
File: IMG_20170204_030544.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_030544.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>1125164
>>1125301
Oh look, continuity between Batt- and Gnd.
>>
File: IMG_20170204_030738.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_030738.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1125164
>>1125301
Oh look, more continuity between Batt- and Gnd.
>>
File: IMG_20170204_031133.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_031133.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1125164
>>1125301
Oh look, even more continuity between Batt- and Gnd.

Three system boards, two manufacturers, all wired the same. I can pull another 4 out from another two manufacturers if you want to push the point. You faggots really need to fuck off back to /g/. We actually know what we're talking about here, unlike you.

>>1125164
> ignore all the answers.
Especially you, you arrogant cunt.

I hope this clears it up for you OP. Good luck with your simple repair.
>>
..And for the record, >>1125469 and >>1125470 are HP boards. The third is from a lolnovo.
>>
File: IMG_0275.jpg (812KB, 2183x1623px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0275.jpg
812KB, 2183x1623px
Thanks. That's more reassuring. Just to make sure the mounting holes surrounded with copper are the nearest ground I can use. Right?
>>
>>1125550
You're welcome, and yes, either of those pads will do nicely as long as a blob of solder is not going to interfere with screws or the reassembly of the two halves of the base enclosure.
>>
>>1125164
> charge circuit
Why would you charge a non rechargeable battery? Of course the positive will not be connected but why would the negatives not be common?

OP do your fucking due diligence. No point asking on here unless you can give a model and revision number and get someone else to trace it out for you.

It's very easy to just fucking guess one way or another or measure some other mobo which I see some other anon is kindly doing but unless you measure your actual fucking board nobody knows for absolute certain.

Maybe they guy designing it was high as fuck and made the + side common. Maybe your high as fuck and you mixed up the battery terminals.
Come on guys no point in arguing really is there
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.