[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plastic Electrical Box

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG0752.jpg (131KB, 1545x1159px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0752.jpg
131KB, 1545x1159px
So i'm installing this electrical box at work, basically it's going to serve as a direct access point to a projector because the wifi is wonky.

But none of that's relevant, the issue I'm having is with these damn holes. They should in theory be able to be popped right out. I've tried hammer and chisel, screwdriver, exacto blade, punching through with my fingers, nothing is working.

How do I get these damn things out?
>>
>>1123914
either you're not hitting it hard enough
or
it wasn't formed right and the thin areas are too thick

try hitting it harder near the edge at the connection points or between them
>>
>>1123919
I'll try harder in a bit. I was striking it so hard with the chisel that the entire top would bend. Even holding it in a vice it would still give-in quite a bit. I imagine the fact that this is cheap hardware is having some play here.
>>
>>1123923
put LID on BOX
put CLOSED BOX in VICE
take SCREWDRIVER, put on one of three points where it is held, sharp tap with HAMMER.
repeat with other two points (if needed)

Trick is probably keeping the box closed/lid on, oitherwise, it just deforms/absorbs your mighty blows. ahem.
>>
>>1123926
Oh shit, I didn't even think about that!
>>
>>1123914
As always this is a 2 part answer.

>op needs a bigger hammer.
>op needs a pecker.
>>
>>1123919
>>1123926
>>1123935

It was a hole saw that finally did the job, and very well.
>>
>>1123926
What's it like having a practical brain?

So many non practical autists - myself included, even on DIY.

Logic and practicality almost seem to be mutually exclusive. Or are you just autist with much practical experience?
>>
>>1123967
was going to suggest hole saw, or hydraulic hole press, I haven't seen anyone use anything else yet and I work with those, good work i guess.
>>
>>1123914
Electrical knockouts are not meant to be gently knocked out. The proper way is to tap a screwdriver with a hammer (I use pliers).
Here are some other tips:
>Drill a sheetmetal screw into the knockout and use pliers to pull the screw attached to the knockout.
>Use a hole saw or step bit.
I've also ruined flatheads with tough knockouts (waterflow switches are the worst). Now I carry a Chinese made spare.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.