[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit motherfuckers, we chopped down this big ass red oak tree,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

Shit motherfuckers, we chopped down this big ass red oak tree, cause it might be a danger at some indiscriminate point in the future.

We got it down, got most of the limbs cut off/hauled away, and have someone that's going to pick it up for firewood.

My question is, my sister wants a slice of the trunk for artsy fartsy stuff, how would I go about getting that? As you can see, getting the tree down was a fucking endeavor, it's bigger around than the saw is long, and it'd be hard for me to get an even slice because I'm inexperienced.

Would appreciate help on getting a round slice, and an oval slice, in case that's what she wants.

Also tree-cutting general I guess. I love this little saw, it's got an easy start thing, so you just have to pull the rope out a certain amount and it starts itself via spring power.
>>
You need an Alaskan Mill.

It'll saw trees into lumber quick enough

Its just a couple bars and rails you attach to a chainsaw.
>>
>>1123590
That's actually a neat idea, just like a guide that goes on the saw? Kind of like those carving knives you see for turkeys and shit that have the adjustable guide.
>>
why does it have to be the stump? just cut a piece off the tree. the only way you're gonna cut that stump off with that tiny saw is working your way all the way around it and it's not gonna be a clean cut
>>
OP is sitting on great lumber. Dont give it away. Someone with a portable saw mill will pay you to take it away in pieces. Red oak is expensive.

I sold a sick walnut tree for 900 with free haulaway.
>>
>>1123675
This. thats money right there OP. don't chop it up for fire wood.
>>
>>1123587
you gonna need a bigger bar. Just go around the trunk thats left there in the dirt, and chop her off about a 4" slab. Measure around the trunk in about 5 different locations, mark it, and use that as guide marks to make a straight cut.

Best thing would be to clamp your bar in a vise sideways, get a 'dome'-type bubble level from a DirectTV home satellite pole, level your bar in the vise, and then tape the bubble level when its showing centered to the Stihl nameplate you see in your pic.
>>
Dont worry about clean cuts, you can always plane it
>>
tell her to do it herself if she wants it...
>>
>>1123736
I was really tempted to do this, this chainsaw shit is hard work.

>>1123611
Doesn't HAVE to be the stump, I was actually thinking about getting it out of the main trunk, but the problem there is the thing is fucking massive and there's isn't much holding it like that.

I might just try to cut off a chunk as cleanly as I can off the end and tell her to make due, her husband has some tools laying around, and should be able to clean it up okay. Problem is that they are both super busy city-slickers, and never have time to do anything ever unless it has been planned weeks in advance.

>>1123675
I'll talk to my dad about this, the person he was going to give it to never showed up, and I'd love to be paid for all this labor.
>>
>>1123829

I just know I would pay up to 30 bucks per board for red oak in a home depot. Its really good stuff. Any carpenter would love to have it. Call a limberyard and explain? They would give advice.
>>
Get a damn Alaskan Mill.

It'll literally pay for itself the first time you use it.

You have no excuse
>>
>>1123832
This, it's probably good wood.
>>
>>1123587
1) dat falling is really wrong, you might consider an undercut next time
2) that's valuable wood don't just give it away
3) if you don't know how to slice a piece of log straight let someone who does do it. it's not a secret technique it's about practice with a saw, you have to cut all around it
4) four
5) get a bigger saw like a MS360
>>
The tree is about 30 inches across, and it's 5 foot to the first branch, the trunk as a whole is just over 10 feet, but it narrows a bit after that. I've tried contacting some local lumbermills, but many of them have gone out of business lately, and I've had some difficulty.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170131-100755.jpg (414KB, 870x941px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170131-100755.jpg
414KB, 870x941px
>>1123587
>>
>>1123911
The plan was "cut through it most of the way and then we'll push it over with the tractor", but it didn't work out. It was so perfectly balanced that it just refused to fall, so I just kinda hacked at it till it worked.

Frankly, I don't think I could handle a bigger saw. I'm still fucking sore from all the cutting from the past two days. We generally don't do much of this type of work anyway, so this little saw works for 90% of the work we do.
>>
>>1123965
That just means you need the exercise. Be happy and remember it's mostly technique.

This is an outstanding faller training series and the techniques apply to smaller timber too. I used to redneck shit and not use wedges etc. Never again. The two trees I dropped and cut up paid for my chainsaw and gear.
>>
>>1124095
Fuck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Aktms_4Pg
>>
>>1123829
>super busy city-slickers, and never have time to do anything ever unless it has been planned weeks in advance.

You must chop them up into tiny pieces and feed them to the forest creatures. its really the only thing that can be done for them.
Sorry OP, just be happy that you can rest assured knowing their decomposing body parts will eventually fertilize the forest soil and maybe become part of an actual tree someday.
>>
>>1124129
>you can rest assured knowing their decomposing body parts will eventually fertilize the forest soil and maybe become part of an actual tree someday
that's my end goal in life
>>
>>1123587

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqciYYiwlrQ&t=172s
>>
>>1123965
dude you could have destroyed the tractor and yourself
and you are sore from ms180?
>>
>>1123675

Came here to say exactly this.
>>
File: int2sc02-big.jpg (55KB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
int2sc02-big.jpg
55KB, 600x396px
>>1123965
that is not at all the way to cut down a tree, especially a large tree. you're lucky you didn't kill yourself. fuck the manual that came with your saw even shows you the proper way and if you didn't bother to read the manual you're just straight up retarded
>>
>Having all that great Oak
>In large masses, not just Homeless Dipshit size boards
>Firewood

kill me with a spoon
>>
I've cut slices off an oak about the same size with a 4ft hand saw, it takes a while.
>>
>>1123587
7$ lin/ft and your giving for firewood XD
>>
>>1124426
>cutting above your bottom cut
It's like you want to have no control of the tree.
>>
>>1123587
>cause it might be a danger at some indiscriminate point in the future.

Are you over 60?
>>
>>1124740
You are supposed to do it like that for that very reason. For better control.
>>
>>1124752
Cutting through the holding wood is how to lose control.
>>
Hugelkultur if you're too lazy to make it into lumber.
>>
>>1124758
what are you talking about, sir?
>>
thats like $1000 worth of tree and you turned it into fucking firewood
>>
>>1124740
>cut bottom cut second
>tree falls in the direction of the bottom cut
>crushes and jams running chainsaw
do you think people buy a new chainsaw for every tree they fell?
>>
>>1123587
>cut through tree
>absolutely no sign of disease or splitting
>perfectly healthy tree
>>1124838
this
call a lumber yard first and ask them if they will pay you more than firewood price for it. hardwood is worth more than gold these days.
>>
File: 1459181587726.jpg (21KB, 220x264px) Image search: [Google]
1459181587726.jpg
21KB, 220x264px
>>1123911
>1) dat falling is really wrong, you might consider an undercut next time
looks decent to me.
>if you don't know ... let someone who does do it.
>it's about practice
If you dont know how to post let someone else do it... its about practice. :^)
>4) four
memelord
>>1123911
>5) get a bigger saw, yours works but it isnt phallic enough.

>>1124751
>Survival skill for autistic people who want to play survival in their backyards
>Step 1 cut wood
>Step 2 set wood on fire (important step do not skip)
>Step 3 cook food over fire
>Step 4 be careful not to fall on the fire and die.
>Protip dont eat burned food
>If you take your sweet time digging a hole to put your fire in, instead of making a regular fire like a normal human being, well, itll be cooler.
>Survival skill
>>
>>1123675
>Red oak is expensive.

Red oak is one the the cheapest hardwoods to buy. Not saying it's not worth something but you need to contact someone who has a portable mill and access to a kiln.

Comparing it to walnut which is one of the most expensive domestic hardwoods is silly.

>>1123832
>I just know I would pay up to 30 bucks per board for red oak in a home depot

Stop buying wood from Home Depot. They have shit selection and you're paying for two middlemen and convenience. Go to a lumberyard and pay 1/3 the price for non S4S.

>>1124657
>7$ lin/ft and your giving for firewood XD

Hardwood is sold by the board foot not linear foot.

>>1124838
If you have a mill and a kiln. A lumberyard is going to pay you pennies on the dollar for it.
>>
>>1124815
Cutting through your holding wood felling a tree in the residential tree care biz is a critical safety violation sir! As far as wedges, pie size, exactly where your back cut is etc is mostly preference but there are rules of thumb regarding all of that. Nice work by OP. Mmmm, oak!
>>
>>1123675
Any idea what the 2 old oak trees in front of my house are worth?
>>
>>1124849
a perfectly healthy tree in the wrong place is still a problem.
>>
If you do cut the trunk long ways make sure you spray paint it or something so it doesn't crack. I sawed. A trunk in half I wanted to make a table and the fucking thing split in like a day.
>>
>>1124958
>looks decent to me.

Its decent for a suicide attempt.
>>
>>1123587
>He didn't notch the tree
Fucking retard
>>
File: thesedubsneverstop.jpg (3KB, 125x120px) Image search: [Google]
thesedubsneverstop.jpg
3KB, 125x120px
>>1125100
Why is it a safety violation? If you cut below isn't there a chance the tree will fall in that direction if the balance is off? Don't you want the tree to fall away from you and not be crushed to death?
>>
>>1124958
you're kind of a shitlord m8
>>
>>1125631
The holding wood controls the fall of the tree, cut through it and you lose control. Lean to gravity isn't the only factor when dropping a tree.

There is a lot of good online material for basic tree falling, OP redneck cut the fucker and survived.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.