[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning about house-building/lumber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: MBC-Lumber-Yard-2.jpg (64KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
MBC-Lumber-Yard-2.jpg
64KB, 720x480px
Hey /diy/, I looked for a proper thread and didn't see one, and an internet search might be too broad. I started work at a lumber yard, pulling orders and delivery. I want to learn more about the materials, as well as the process of building. My boss recommended "getting some splinters in my hands", but I also want to study in my free time.
Are there any books or webpages you recommend that I could read for the fundamentals and work my way up? Thanks.
>>
File: cce[1].jpg (59KB, 600x793px) Image search: [Google]
cce[1].jpg
59KB, 600x793px
>>
>>1123014
Study what you can find on basic carpentry and modern home construction.
Understanding the differences between lumber grades should help.
Make a list of the main types of products your lumber yard stocks and sells.
Organize this list in order of what material you deal with the most, then go down from there.
Starting at the top of the list, do whatever it takes to learn what the materials are typically used for and how.
All of these items will be somehow related to other items on the list, as in, orders for roofing shingles will often times be ordered along with roof sheathing and specific types of fasteners.
Make freinds with the cintractors and carpenters you deliver to, and chat them up to glean what knowledge you can. Most guys are happy to talk about their work if they have the time. Kust listen and learn.
If you get the opportunity, sit down and have a beer with them at your local pub. You can learn alt from their stories
>>
>>1123014
The NRLA and the APA have education resources. All the manufacturers of any engineered product have training materials for free , just ask their rep or look them up online and request info.

Call your local planning office and ask them what structural code they use. Then buy the book and read it.

Simson has education materials , so does quikete .

If you sell hard woods then there are other groups that have info.

But you can also learn a lot of the guys around you. If tou dont know about something dont bull shit. Say you dont know. Find some one who does. Then learn from them and retain that knowledge.

Build a good report with your customers. Eventually with enough knowledge and customer service you will be a sales rep.
>>
this would be a carpentry general op.

woodworking is for strictly wood shelves cabinets drawers floors toys ext

carpentry is foundation and structure(beams), tiling, roofing, insulation, tooling, light electricity, light plumbing, painting, cauk, cement, brick, ect ect
>>
>>1123328
OP didn't really specify, but most "lumber yards" I've ever bought shit from sold all different kinds a of building supplies, not just wood and lumber
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.