[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wiring Heaters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 51Xgxzb5E3L.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Xgxzb5E3L.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
/diy/
need some help...

I want to buy two of these heaters:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-EnergyPlus-1600-Watt-120-240-Volt-In-Wall-Electric-Wall-Heater-in-White-CEC163TW/206750445?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D26P-AirCirculation%7c&gclid=CIGrnJiTtNECFcZBhgodM3cNwQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

and I want to wire them onto the same 20A breaker using 12/3, according to cadet you can wire them to the same thermostat and to the same breaker:
http://cadetheat.com/blog/multiple-heaters-just-one-thermostat/
(they say 12/2, but I would rather use 12/3, so two hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground)

I just want to take the thermostat out of the equation, since these have their own individual thermostats on them.

one of my issues is that the whole point of a breaker would be that if something failed the breaker would pop, preventing a fire, but now I am going to be wiring them to a larger breaker than what just 1 would normally be on, so if one of the 2 has an issue the breaker might not pop the same that it would if it was 15A for just 1.

the other issue is that they specifically talk about wiring two heaters to one thermostat, removing the thermostat from the equation should still be the same, the 3200W of draw over a 20A 220V breaker shouldn't be any issue........right?

Im trying to save money (less wire, less breaker) and save space in the electrical panel.

any input?
>>
>>1122554
12 ga wire supports a maximum of 3680watts according to the NEC on a 230v line protected by a 20amp fuse.

Wire and breaker-wise youll be fine.

The biggest concern with these in-wall units is people's tendancies to move furniture in front of them or to place them near windows with drapes.

Observe and follow the minimum safe distance instructions clearly listed on the device. Usually 3 feet or .9 meters. Absolutely nothing is to be placed or allowed to be hung within the 3' safety zone.

Failure to adhere to this safe zone is the leading cause of fire with these things. Not electrical shorts or the like.

Also do yourself a favor and at least have a certified electrician sign off on the installation.
>>
>>1122582
good feedback, I appreciate that. they are going in the garage, back to back, on an interior wall that splits the garage. there wont by anything near them that will pose that fire risk.
>>
>>1122554

Heater integrated thermostats are trash, they need to use ridiculous hysteresis because the temperature sensor is so close to the heat source.
>>
>>1122635
I mean its the garage man, its a little less than 600sqft, I just want to be able to take the edge off in there on the weekends during cold months when I'm out there working...
>>
>>1122635
>hysteresis
btw good word, had to look it up
>>
Electric heaters cause HUGE electricity bills
>>
>>1122554
This is all fine. Remove the external thermostat and just run power straight to them and use the internal thermostats.
Enjoy your new electric bill
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.