[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

clay pot heater

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

does this really work?
>>
what do you expect it to do?
>>
Yep, it works Fine. Better if it's a small room
>>
>>1122109
Identical heating to plain candles. Might put less soot into your lungs because some will be caught on the pot, might produce potentially deadly carbon monoxide if the airflow is insufficient.
>>
>>1122109
no
turning clay pots upside down is not a source of energy
>>
Yes, but only under a blanket.
>>
No it doesn't work.

You'd need an absolute lack of any understanding of the mechanics behind it to even think it would work.
>>
If by work you mean distributes heat over a larger area closer to your body then yes. Technically, a candle puts out the same amount of heat into the room regardless of the pot. But an uncovered candles heat will move quicker to the ceiling than a cover candle because there's nothing in the way.

Tldr; they work for small areas when you're next to them. To heat an entire room they do nothing a plain candle wouldn't do.
>>
>>1122136
So, a ceiling fan blowing slowly down would be as effective at helping a candle heat the room as the clay pot?
>>
im using it for over an hour now, and i must say im fucking impressed. To the idiots sayin no...then why is my room gettin hotter......
>>
>>1122141
placebo
>>
yeahh right
>>
>>1122142
yeahh right
>>
>>1122146
Yes.
>>
>>1122109
But can you cook and egg on it?
>>
>>1122137
No because air moving across your body pulls heat away. You know, like a fan? Dumbass.
>>
You're right, terracotta has a magical effect whereby it radiates more heat than it absorbs, this is why it can make a tiny tealight heat an entire room.

Personally I've been powering and heating my entire house with a single tealight and a peltier unit, you just need enough terracotta!

Keep it a secret or else you could draw the ire of "Big oil"!
>>
File: daum_(2).gif (928KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
daum_(2).gif
928KB, 500x333px
>>1122109
It makes a larger heat column that warms more air above it thereby reducing the flow of heating into the ceiling by a small margin. It's thermal mass helps keep temperatures even during quick temperature swings.

It is better to simply use a ceiling fan to help prevent heat from transferring into the ceiling as fast and bring more thermal mass into the room to help maintain temps during temperature swings (like opening the door.) 2-liter bottles filled with water are great for that.

All other reasons for using that device are pretty much moot. It isn't aesthetic and candles pollute the air you are breathing.
>>
Idea: Pay your bill
>>
>>1122109

Ok, so apart from foaming bullshit,let's look at what is going on.
Same idea as was used in improving gas heaters. i.e. more efficient conversion to radiated heat.

What you are looking at is twofold
1) mass
2) radiant heat

The candles will heat the mass more efficiently than they will the conveted air.

Radiation will be much more effective. Same as a gas ceramic.

The net energy provided will be the same. But the meatbag effect will be much better.
>>
>>1122137
You actually want to blow the air up. This circulates the warmer ceiling air down along the walls. It circulates the air while slowing your heatloss from moving air across your body.

If you're so desperate to warm yourself with candles then you probably just want to hide in a small closet with as many blankets as possible and some lit candles if it is safe to do so.
>>
>It's the same exact amount of heat just spread over a larger area!
>I swear there's no energy cost of heating up the pot, not at all, it's a 100% efficient transfer!
>>
i asume you want to warm yourself and not the room

use pic related
>Use candle to make make some hot tea
>drink the tea
>warm from inside
>>
All these pot threads and no one can even mention a kotatsu.

If you build one with electric heat and put it under a coffee table, then insulate it with a blanket, you have a very cozy place of warmth. That's all these small heaters are good for.

Note that I did not say a candle.
>>
>>1122109
Yes, it heats the pot as you'd expect.
>>
>>1122152
You can cook on it. You can't egg on it though.
>>
>>1122141
But >>1122142 could be right. As nitpicky as it seems did you check the temp of the room before and after? No amount of placebo will change the actual temperature but I hear that before you die of hypothermia you feel intensely warm
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.