[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/kes, Just got an internship at my uni and they throw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0184.jpg (62KB, 1260x1260px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0184.jpg
62KB, 1260x1260px
Hey /diy/kes,

Just got an internship at my uni and they throw out a shit-ton of barely contaminated 99% IPA (isopropyl alcohol). I say contaminated because they just use it to wash off some plastic machinery they have, no chemicals or biohazards.

I asked my boss if I can keep some, and he said okay.

What can I do with gallons of 99% IPA?
I was thinking of setting it up to my foundrey to use as fuel, in addition to charcoal and air.

>inb4 drink it
>>
>>1121818
Woah wtf I didnt even know they made 99%. . . highest test stuff ive seen is 93% and I heard you have to speak to someone behind the counter at a pharmacy to get 96%

The reason I cared to look into it is because of the Beer Can Stove, portable survival stove made out of a cut aluminum can (it can be googled or youtubed).

You need really high test rubbing alcohol to use it - they recommend 96%.

But 99% would be even better. So there you go, you can use it as free fuel for cooking.

Three or more of these beer can stoves and you can cook a whole dinner all at once and its probably not going to use much of it.

The trick is the flame has to be snuffed out to turn it off, not an issue but you might burn yourself if you didnt know.

(also dont knock it over or spill it, because you'll get an explosion, if you're not an autist this shouldnt be a prob though).
>>
File: 1475609609516.jpg (42KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
1475609609516.jpg
42KB, 640x539px
>>1121818
Drink it
>>
Use it on your car like its seafoam.

It'll wash away soot and deposits, right?
>>
>>1121821
Hmmmmmm okay I will look into that
>>
File: can stove.jpg (37KB, 640x546px) Image search: [Google]
can stove.jpg
37KB, 640x546px
>>1121827

here you go, im guessing the Penny on this one is covering up an intake hole . . . but yeah

I mean if you're getting high test alcohol all the time for free because its being tossed out this is a worthwhile thing to use to cut down on your heating costs (for cooking dinner).

Im not sure about how much it uses but it seems like a little bit goes a long way. And its a burner flame just as strong as you get on the stove.

> downside is no putting it on a lower setting, so simmering stuff might be a prob

> its also a good way to just boil alot of water, if you're into ramen and rice.
>>
>>1121828
How do you cut the can so nicely? When I made one of these the edges were jagged and ugly as fuck.
>>
>>1121829
Sand flush with fine sandpaper on a flat surface after cutting.
>>
>>1121831
Thanks. I'll try that next time I make one of these things.
>>
>>1121818
Distill it then return it to the store they bought it from
>>
>>1121818
Wash you home, wash your PC intestines, wash windows and glasses.
>>
>>1121829
Tape a razor blade into a book and then twist the can.
this makes it easy.
>>
>>1121818
If you are a pothead you might try using it to make hash oil.
>>
>>1121818
Id set up a needle valve and a drip and use it to start your foundry fire.

Also, make a kwikie burner and used motor oil. Charcoal is a fucking fortune.
>>
>>1121818
Like, how much are we talking about? Because if it's a lot, you could look into reselling it on ebay...
>>
move to Antarctica, and build the worlds largest cloud chamber
>>
>>1121828
>>1121831
could it be posible that german cans are thicker metal than US ones because i cant fit them inside each other without fucking them up
>>
>>1122650
Think about your statement for a second...
>>
>>1121818
you can clean motherboards / electronics in it. spill damaged ones esp.
>>
>>1122188
Nah it leaves behind impurities that you dont want. Ethanol is what you would use
>>
Use it to make acetone.
>>
>>1121821
lol dude, it's sold as denatured alcohol.
>>
>>1121828
IPA does work for these but the flame is sooty.
You could mix it with ice to get lower temps and make your own ice cream. Make sure the container is airtight so that ipa doesn't get in.

I wonder if one could make a heating stove that uses IPA. Kind of like the white gas backpacking stoves but with IPA. Put some ceramic baffles on top and use it as a space heater. Watch out for that CO.
>>
>>1123925
lol haha dude
denatured alcohol is not iso alcohol
lol dude
rofl
lol haha
>>
>>1121829
I found out that just curring into the can, not all the way though, makes a score line that the can will shear itself across,
>>
File: 25335640.jpg (76KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
25335640.jpg
76KB, 407x405px
>>1123925
denatured alcohol has solids , ethanol, methanol, a bittering agent and dye added. the idea is to make it someone alcoholics wont drink.

I tried a bunch of stuff because i clean broken DSLR lenses and resell them. metho leaves wax behind, isopropyl is too expensive here and too weak, isopropyl pads are abrasive, I ended up buying pharmaceutical grade pure ethanol from a pharmacy and it cleans things really well.
>>
>>1125071
>someone alcoholics won't drink

Been on the tipple yourself there pal?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.