[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, my condo has separate central heating thermostat and fan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: DSC_0098.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0098.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Hi, my condo has separate central heating thermostat and fan control. It looks pretty dated, I've never seen this configuration before. I'd like to update it, but I'm not sure what new control systems would be compatible.

History: the complex was built in the early 70s, and was converted from apartments to condos in the 90s.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or questions, but it may take me a few hours to answer questions
>>
Also, this only controls heat. There is no AC
>>
Show a picture of your heating system. Is it in unit electric, forced air, hot water?
>>
File: DSC_0099.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0099.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
These are the wires behind the fan control knob. It looks like the unit is a heat pump
>>
File: DSC_0100.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0100.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
These are the wires behind the thermostat
>>
>>1121725
The system itself is in a locked room of the complex, I can't access it
>>
>>1121735
So it is a forced air system then I assume?

Does the fan controller work when the heat is not on?
>>
>>1121736
Yea, they turn off the heater in the summer, but the controller knob still turns on the fan
>>
It is forced air
>>
>>1121732
>heat pump

Not likely. This doesn't have a temperature set point. It only provides air circulation to keep indoor air from getting stale.

Thermostat is a simple bi-metal controlled switch, probably for electric heat. Do you have baseboards?

Ideas for improvement: Add a time clock to fan. So you get a certain number of hours per day without having to fiddle with switch. For the t'stat, get a two wire line voltage t'stat with a setback clock.
>>
>>1121745
I do have baseboards. Do you think I can combine the functionality of the current t'stat and fan controller into one unit, so I don't have two switches on the wall?
>>
>>1121745
Also, thank you for your ideas
>>
>>1121690
Okay, here's what OP has.

The furnace system in another part of the building, to service the whole facility from 1 central system.

The "Heat" thermostat is actually just a "Zone control", that is there to send from the central furnace, through a damper system, to the condo unit.

The fan control is separate as all it likely is, is a in-duct remote fan/blower to give more "oomf!" of moving air into the condo unit.

Don't touch ANY of that shit.
It's all going to be wire-ganged together down at the central heat system in a mass relay board.

Don't like how it looks?
Call up Building Maintenance and ask if there's anything they can do.
>>
>>1121750
>I do have baseboards.

You can upgrade the line voltage thermostat to a fancy digital setback model provided it handles the same voltage/current as what you have now.

>combine the functionality

No. Completely separate systems. Don't tie them together.
>>
>>1122094
>>1122160
Thank you!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.