[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cracked porcelain effect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: il_fullxfull.1017158899_2sug.jpg (385KB, 1004x1500px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1017158899_2sug.jpg
385KB, 1004x1500px
I wanted to try my hand at making a quality looking Venetian mask like this.

From my understanding this is just a heavily and well modified plastic mask you can get off of ebay or amazon.

I know how every modification is done except the cracked porcelain effect, anyone have any ideas?
>>
Jesus christ. Google cracked porcelain effect.
>>
Try enameling it before you bake it.

The expansion caused by heating and cooling might do the trick.

Then after its baked finish with a clear enamel, sand until its even, then polish the shit out of it.

A lot of styles like this were fads caused by someone fucking something up but somehow making it look good. Kinda like ripped blue jeans and oversized clothes... Both trends caused by people making hand-me-downs look good.
>>
>>1121555
Potter here. In ClayLand this surface effect called crazing, or crackilng if it's a feature rather than a flaw (shh), caused by a high coefficient of thermal expansion between the glaze and base ceramic. The glaze shrinks more than the clay, hence it forms fissures upon cooling. The lines are enhanced by rubbing ink into them and cleaning it off the rest of the surface.

Thanks to modern science and shit, this effect is easily replicated with acrylic paints! You want to buy a clear or transparent gloss acrylic crackle glaze. I'll betcha it works by drying super fast and crazing to relieve the surface tension. In general, thick applications give bigger plates and thin applications give more and finer lines.

Step 1 - base color(s)
2 - crackle glaze
3 - rub india ink into cracks, wipe off
4 - gold shit
>>
>>1121633
Thanks Harry.
>>
try naked raku method
>>
On a related note, does anyone know the sheet music design is applied?

I dont believe its painted on.
>>
>>1121845
Any number of paper transfer methods. You can just put an image face down, use an acrylic medium (I forgot the type specifically) to glaze it to the surface like in decoupage, and then remove the paper with water and vigorous rubbing. The ink remains.
>>
>>1121633

Have any clay body recipes for a plastic, cone 6 throwing body that'll give me a dark brown color in oxidation without using manganese, Lizella, or Barnyarn Blackbird?
>>
>>1121973
No, I don't. Just buffs and redder browns. Are you concerned about the toxicity of manganese or have you had bloating issues when firing bodies containing it? If you play safe and have a well-ventilated kiln you'll be ok... I think. And as for bloating, a combination of a really slow bisque with a long hold/soak at temp in combination with a 1-cone under glaze firing and a glaze that vitrifies late will help.
>>
>>1121888
Mod podge is thr acrylic medium for those interested
>>
>>1122685

It's a shared studio environment, so I've been told to avoid it for the sake of toxicity and contamination of the work spaces.
>>
>>1122736
Do they have an issue with red clays, too?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.