[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to remover worn-out Screws?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170126_034607.jpg (799KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170126_034607.jpg
799KB, 1600x1200px
Have to remove the cover of this laptop, but the screws are worn-out af.
How do I remove them without destroying the delicate surrounding.
>>
>>1121452
There are a number of approaches. You can use a dremel to carefully carve a slot for a flathead screwdriver. Alternatively, you can just drill out the top portion and bypass it. It's a difficult operation, but you can do it with good tools and a steady hand.
>>
Just put a piece of fabric or paper over it and push hard
>>
>>1121456
>You can use a dremel to carefully carve a slot for a flathead screwdriver.

This meme needs to end, because it simply doesnt work well and you destroy everything around it.

You think a head with soft metal that already stripped is going to take being heated up with more material removed?

You go to turn the screw and half of the head flies off.

OP Needs an easy out
>>
>>1121452
Screw extractors are a thing.
>>
File: 1483159996189.jpg (38KB, 750x825px) Image search: [Google]
1483159996189.jpg
38KB, 750x825px
>>1121465
>OP Needs an easy out
lol yeah that shit works on ~M2/M3/M4 screws
tig weld a nut to that bad boy

seriously -
either do >>1121463
or put a drop or two of wd40/oil and find a bit that fits better. then apply down force with the screw driver in your palm and use pliers to turn the driver
>>
Try putting a rubberband between the screw and your screwdriver - see https://lifehacker.com/5462520/remove-a-stripped-screw-with-a-rubber-band
>>
>>1121465
I've had it work sometimes. As I said, it would probably be better to bypass it anyway.
>>
>>1121452
small screw extractors actually work pretty good on small electronic shit, done it before.
If that doesnt work, left handed drill bit very slowly, hope it catches and pulls it out.

If screw is still in, finish drilling off head with those left handed bits. Then you can use needle nose or the specialized pliers to remove the rest once the cover is off.
Don't drill out a screw with regular drill bit on something that small, the drill will be tightening the remaining part of the screw the whole time.
>>
Sorry forgot to point out that the screws are very tiny, the head 2,1/2mm and the tracks(?) Seems just about 0,5mm.
>>1121456
To small for that.
The screw is just beside the CPU so drilling and using a dremel seems risky
>>1121463
Tried that didn't work thanks doh.
>>1121465
I agree with you, either it would destroy the screw and the surrounding or the screw would split.
>>1121471
The stores that handles them do not have sizes small enough for it. To much in a hurry to order from another place.
>>1121472
Why would the oil make any difference?
I imagine it would only make the screw greasier and less manageable?
>>1121473
Looking for a rubber band right now.
>>
sorry, OP.
but if you did that to the head of that screw, you have about a 0% chance of extracting it w/o damaging whatever it is screwed into.
which is an option too.
>>
>>1121452
>How to remove worn-out Screws

Divorce.
>>
>>1121452

Epoxy a screwdriver to what remains of the screw.
>>
>>1121465
>This meme needs to end, because it simply doesnt work well and you destroy everything around it.
Hey! Don't be so negative!
I did this very thing today on a M5 or M6. The head split....
>>
>>1121748
Kek
>>
Cutting wheel and a flathead or hammer and chisel.
>>
>>1121452
Left handed drillbit.

Works every time.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.