[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Concrete charcoal grill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: 461127985_759.jpg (77KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
461127985_759.jpg
77KB, 800x598px
I want to make a Yakiniku tabletop grill out of concrete, kinda like pic related.

Is regular concrete heatproof enough or am I going to blow myself up if it gets too hot? How can I make sure it doesnt end up flaking after a single use?

I'm planning on making a simple mold out of melamine or legos, something like that.
>>
look into concretes made with refractory cement.
>>
>>1121398
http://www.traditionaloven.com/tutorials/concrete.html

you're welcome bro
>>
>>1121401
Could it be used on its own? I can get some cheap from my local hardware store. http://www.rona.ca/en/castable-refractory-cement-3-lb-p66895005

>>1121404
Noice! Thanks.
>>
>>1121398

Fire cement is cheap, but the resulting concrete isn't a very good insulator. Vermiculite is also cheap.

You can do a layer of plain fire cement, then a layer of fire cement/vermiculite mix, then another layer of fire cement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvCuGmRWL8
>>
>>1121407
That looks like what I'm looking for! Thanks for the link.
>>
File: Yakiniku Grill.jpg (260KB, 1586x928px) Image search: [Google]
Yakiniku Grill.jpg
260KB, 1586x928px
Made a quick drawing in sketchup. Is this idea utterly retarded? Any changes to suggest?
>>
File: Under.jpg (583KB, 1586x928px) Image search: [Google]
Under.jpg
583KB, 1586x928px
>>1121481
2/3
>>
File: YakinikuInside.jpg (505KB, 1586x928px) Image search: [Google]
YakinikuInside.jpg
505KB, 1586x928px
>>1121482
3/3

My main concern is that the mold would most likely be really hard to make.

Also, the metal would most likely be quarter inch rod, square sections are just easier to draw.
>>
>>1121483
How large will this be? I'm thinking small right? You can use cardboard covered in Vaseline as your mold/form. A mixture of 1 part wood glue/Elmer's glue and 1 part water is perfect for gluing together cardboard to make panels thicker or wider and such..
>>
>>1121489
25x25x15 (cm)

Cardboard is strong enough to cast concrete? Wouldnt it bend?
>>
>>1121481
>>1121482
>>1121483
You might want some sort of opening so you can fiddle with hot coals while there's a pot/food on top the grill. Maybe just a small port hole for a stick would suffice. Something large enough to toss in a single charcoal briquette.
>>
File: corrugated-cardboard-packaging.jpg (84KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
corrugated-cardboard-packaging.jpg
84KB, 720x480px
>>1121490
Your walls are not tremendously thick or tall. You'd be casting it upside down too. The bottom walls would need reinforced. Once you have the forms made you can use duct tape to reinforce them.

This is pretty small scale stuff, but layer up the cardboard using the glue mixture. 1 ply might work, 2 ply would be good, and 3 ply might be overkill.
>>
>>1121490
>>1121493
>>1121489
FYI, this is like step 1 for making concrete flower planters.
>>
>>1121494
Forgot link,

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-CONCRETE-Cardboard-Duct-Tape-Planter-Box/
>>
>>1121426

The fire cement he's talking about is premixed and more the consistency of clay than pourable cement BTW.

So you'd sculpt instead of pour.
>>
>>1121519
>So you'd sculpt instead of pour.

You can add water, of course, to the point that it can be poured. Adds to drying time and it can fuck with the mechanical properties of it if you go overboard, but I don't think either really matters that much in this case.
>>
>>1121519
>>1121523
My plan is to wet it just enough so it takes the shape well and packing it in with a stick.

>>1121492
Not a bad idea
>>
>>1121519
When I make a heat treat forge I generally go with 33% of refac cement, sand and pearlite
Actually fairly robust buggers, you'd be doing fairly well to break it

Just when you've got the form done and ready to burn things, give it a low heat into it for half hour or so to get rid of any remaining moisture
>>
Melamine wood – easy to curt, some what flexible but strong enough to use as a form, i use these often for all types of concrete forms. be sure to use wire mesh as well, your drawing should work great.
>>
>>1121654
I'll be small enough to put into a conventional oven for curing.
>>
>>1121672
Im just not sure how well I can replicate the angles with melamine. Some of them are rather small.
>>
>>1121398
BOOM.

Press F to pay reapects.

Concrete will splode.

Make a form and mix 50/50 plaster of paris and sand. Water it down, mix and pour. Working time of about 10 minutes.

Cheap and easy.

Is how i build my foundry and fire pit. Be warned though that high heat will make is stink and deteriorate the plaster.
>>
>>1121716

If you make the bottom plate and the upper ring separately the shapes are very simple.
>>
>>1121728
Even with perlite in?

How would plaster be better?
>>
>>1121728

Even if its properly set and cured will it explode?
>>
>>1121728
Read the thread before posting.

>>1121819
>>1121841
see
>>1121401
>>1121407
>>
>>1121850
Well im guessing refractory cement wouldnt explode but it wasnt stated outright so might as well make sure. Id rather avoid a nice supper turning into a game of "lets pull concrete chunks out of your eyeballs"
>>
I've tried this before. Nothing cast into a single piece will survive for long. Heat cycles and moisture seeping into the concrete will ensure that it will develop cracks. It will hold up better if you use fire bricks and fireplace mortar.
>>
>>1121965
I dont see how moisture would be much of a problem if it stays indoors..
>>
>>1121819
Not better. Cheaper.

Fuck yo perlite!

Lol. Rather than play mad scientist if plaster wont do it i just bust for the 75 dollar bag of kast-o-lite 3000
>>
>>1121841
Yes. Likely not in the conventional sense that it is a bomb, but it will pop and crack and get shit all over your food and fail pretty quickly. My dumbass buddy used a failed fish pond for a fire pit.

Not pleasent
>>
>>1121850
Suck the fat end of my dick massa.

We aint agona do dickall wtf u said
>>
File: thumb_600.jpg (121KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_600.jpg
121KB, 590x590px
>>1121948
>>1121965
A small properly cured and dried concrete thing like in the OP would only crack and crumble with BBQ heat over time. Refractory wouldn't do anything. Neither will explode unless they are exposed to direct water or not properly cured and dried..

>>1121398
Another route is to use a molcajete. They are made of basalt. It'd be perfect for a table top BBQ. I own one, but I use it for traditional things plus stuff like chicken molcajete dishes where you put it over the burner and get it super hot for serving. Watch out for concrete fakes.
>>
>>1122321

Looks like a health code violation and nightmare to clean.
>>
>>1122322
Traditionally you season them. However, you can heat them to be red hot, effectively sterilizing them, not just sanitizing them. But, for the most part you treat them like an iron skillet.
>>
>>1122322
>health code
>Mexico
Kek
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.