[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodgas generator for electricity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: serveimage(4).jpg (355KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(4).jpg
355KB, 800x600px
Been looking around to see if there is a way to make a woodgas generator that is effective enough to give power for an entire household.

I have been prepping my cabin in case of something unknown in the far future and when there's a power shortage.
Been looking at power alternatives for a while but most of the common ones would not work here (not enough sun or wind, but a shit ton of trees)
>>
Also I'm concerned with the fact that woodgas generators need a lot of maintenance and how to manage the carbon monoxide that it will be emitting.
>>
>>1121161
yes
>>
https://youtu.be/tr3Y9l87UxE

MrTeslonian has a gasifier that produces crude oil and gasoline, it produces natural gas, and he shows how he uses the wood gas to run a generator AND a propane fridge.

Check out his videos they are cool
>>
>>1121164

A wire brush, tube cleaner brush, and ventilation.
>>
>>1121161
Well, think about it, it all comes down to efficiency and price.

If you can acquire cheap wood, then you can make a steam powered generator at one end and gas powered at another for max efficiency (in terms of used power, if you use only the gas, the initial burn will be lost)

Yet, in my country wood is 2x more expensive than propane gas from the store, so I will never make the cut.
>>
>>1121201
Will check him once I get home.
>>1121202
That's it? I was thinking more in line of welding and replacements when it came to maintenance.
>>1121257
I own around 12 Acres of Forest
>>
>>1121450

You could probably just use a high temp sauter.

Or just make sure that everything is a tight fit.

No welding needed, just hand fitting.
>>
>>1121161
>not enough sun or wind

get a really tall poll and a high efficiency turbine
>>
Why not just go for a diesel engine and run it on waste oil.
>>
File: 1024px-Ruston_6VE_and_dynamo.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Ruston_6VE_and_dynamo.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
>power for an entire household
easily, doesn't even need to be efficient. just needs to be big.

>how to manage the carbon monoxide
put the whole mess on the other side of the property in a pole barn and run a wire back to the house. no walls, no gas trap. bonus: you won't have to listen to the gas engine thwopping all day long.
>>
>>1121161
WW1 and WW2 had something like 100,000 vehicles and electric generators running woodgas systems.

It is completely viable. However, you should learn how to coppice and pollard trees so that they can be managed for continuous fuel.
>>
A++++ thread, would read again.
>>
File: epic_goay.jpg (19KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
epic_goay.jpg
19KB, 500x353px
>>1121543
But wouldn't it crack and tear when after awhile? Sense the metals expansion during heat.
>>1121551
How much does and efficient turbine cost? And where can I find?
>>1121640
Is that even something a private person can /diy/?
>>1121711
Coppice and pollard?
>>1121713
I agree
>>
>>1121963
>How much does and efficient turbine cost? And where can I find?
that will vary a lot, more likely the system to convert and store the power is going to cost much more

this is the style I was referring to: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srd3beT3dMY

they might charge ridiculous amount for them compared to what it would cost to make one yourself....considering they don't have to be the size of a football field, it's possible to diy one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2w9k3miNrs

that design of turbine is much more efficient when in an area where there aren't really strong windows
>>
>>1121974
*winds not windows
>>
>40% power loss of engine
>much shorter engine life
>high maintenance

Yes they work but they require a lot OF work to keep everything running.
>>
>>1121201
how the fuck do you get natural gas (mostly methane) from wood or coal?
natural gas =/= syngas

>>1121257
even fancy triple expansion steam engines with condensators struggle to reach 13% thermal efficiency. Big ones. Small one like OP would need - a lot less.
That's after you have make steam somehow, water tube boilers are complicated to build and fire tube ones suck at efficiency.
Last but not least, there's always the fun part about the possibility of your DIYed boiler going BLEVE on you.
>>
>>1122122
>how the fuck do you get natural gas (mostly methane) from wood or coal?

From wiki:
>In some gasifiers this process is preceded by pyrolysis, where the biomass or coal is first converted to char, releasing methane and tar rich in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
>>
>>1121164
>how to manage the carbon monoxide that it will be emitting.

Put the fucking thing outdoors and with firebreak distance between it and your cabin.
>>
>>1121963
>But wouldn't it crack and tear when after awhile? Sense the metals expansion during heat.

Yes. The idiot who responded doesn't know anything about metalworking. Use proper welded or threaded connections. Solder (not "sauter", fucking mongoloid...) is not for high temp use in this context.

You can buy generators. You have a lot to learn so learn to weld, learn to be a mechanic, and learn about electricity and power generation.

Also learn how to buy things like generators cheap at auctions and move them inexpensively by yourself using a car trailer and pickup truck.

It's wiser to use less power and run solar and a battery bank for basic use, then only use a genset when you need serious power.
>>
>>1121164
Uh... burn it?

Make sure to pay special attention to avoiding leaks and you'll be fine. CO is a normal component of wood gas.
>>
File: Woodland Management-2.jpg (144KB, 500x739px) Image search: [Google]
Woodland Management-2.jpg
144KB, 500x739px
>>1121963
Coppicing and pollarding refer to methods of tree management whereby the trees are cut back very close to the ground. Certain species (willow and alder, most famously) respond to this by sending up several large shoots. Because the root system is established already, you don't have to wait as long for the shoots to get to handy firewood size. Most will even be nice and straight if you need poles/beams as well.
Normally, you'd set up a couple of woodlots so that when it's time to cut one of them, the next lot is ready to be cut the next year, and so on.
>>
>>1121164

Isn't the point of wood gas to burn the CO?
>>
>>1121974
Interesting, will note it down. Thanks!
>>1121983
Yes I know it isn't a very optimal power source, that's why I'm trying to maximise the efficiency.
>>1122190
Ok thanks for clarifying the idiocy.
I have basic electrical, intermediate welding and mechanical experience.
Buying is always an option, but I'm trying to acquire enough knowledge so I can fix and enhance.
>>1122200
You have a number on lethal dose?
What tool is used for measurement?
>>1122214
Oh! I didn't know I needed/wanted that info until now, much appreciated!
>>1122286
Honestly I don't know, I'm retarded on that subject.
>>
>>1123412
So something that may be interesting for you is going to charcoal gasification. It's even less efficient as a fuel source because energy is lost turning it into charcoal, BUT it's a more dense form of energy storage so it'll take up less space, and B (the important one) is that because you burn off most of the VOC's, you can pretty much just feed charcoal gas into a gasoline engine without needing a ton of maintenance to clean out gunk like for woodgas. Also you can do the coal slurry method for diesel using charcoal and run tractors for hauling more lumber etc..

Also, turning wood into charcoal makes a lot of heat, and it shouldn't be too hard to setup a charcoal retort to run a hottub or waterheater (although I'd suggest a well insulated outbuilding with the tank setup, and/or using it as an on-demand water heater and just running the pipes through/past it). once you get it going, a well designed charcoal retort uses the woodgas that's boiling off to keep burning the charcoal, so you can have it going for several hours @ hot tub.

AFAIK, generally, the preferred setup is to use fuel generators as a backup power supply when the solar/wind battery bank is running low.

that said, woodgas/charcoal gas are a good, energy dense way to take advantage of the gas motors that will be just sitting around in the SHTF event.
>>
Interesting thread, OP
You can indeed make a "woodgas" generator.

I don't really know the requirements for a combustion engine or how you plan to make power out of it.

When gasifying wood ( "burning" it with a lack of oxigen) you get syngas (methane and carbon monoxide)and Charcoal which you can use to warm your house or generate power.

The negatives i would consider are:

The "vapors" emitted are very humid and will not combust well.
- you can condense the vapors and get some liquid fuel, but again a lot of water is going to be in the mix
-the carbon monoxide is a minor problem as long as you have no leaks, since you will be burning it along the methane.

What i would do in your place to have a natural gas power plant and feed it with dehumified woodgas. And use the coal to heat your home or for cooking.

One way to take the humidity would be with a condensator, which you can /diy/ with some aluminum cans and pipes.

Another thing to note is that a gasification reactor is slow to start, since you need around ~250℃ for the gas to start coming out instead of humidity and volatile compounds. I have personally only used closed reactors so you couldn't load the reactor while working, so you must look for that... taking into account that the pressure will build up because of the gas generation.

Anyway, good luck OP, hope to hear from your project soon. I have only made coal and syngas from vegetal sources in a lab, so i don't know if there are any commercial/domestic uses for this technology
>>
Honestly OP at this point I'd just go for a rocket stove powering a water tube steam engine. Lot less involved and if you're careful, might even be more efficient.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.