[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gutters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

What does /diy/ know about gutters? Should I try installing them myself or are they too easy to mess up? I'd hate to try a water management project that just causes a headache and makes things worse. Any of you put up your own gutters? Have any recommendations?
>>
have done simple gutters, but for a large run you're gonna need two people

it's not that complicated...cut to size, join the pieces, snap on the brackets, screw to facia

make sure they are installed properly under the drip edge or you will have water problems
>>
>>1120212
cover with mesh lining, makes cleaning a breeze
>>
>>1120471
This desu.
Helps keep the squirrels and their acorns out as well.
>>
>>1120212
>water flows down hill
>water is heavy
>roofs get fucking hot when the sun's out

pretty much make sure your gutters are at least level so they drain and prohibit algae growth. don't cheap out on fasteners, in a downpour you don't want your gutters falling off and damaging your house.

make sure someone is home in case you get stuck on the roof when your ladder falls over, wear gloves, both asphalt shingles and metal roofs will burn the fuck out your hands quicker than you think.
>>
>>1120212
They're easy to mess up but they're also easy to install properly. If you want the best go with seamless aluminum but you probably won't be able to do seamless without paying someone for it. Pvc is ugly and ages horribly but at least it's easy, cheap and readily available.

Just use a level and get all the water flowing in the right direction and make sure your soakaways are good for your downpipes.

I do guttering as my job so ask me anything.
>>
>>1121312
do you jerk it with or without lube?
>>
>>1120212
Look i can't be stuffed reading what everyone has to say but I'm a plumber, it basically depends how much you wanna do, and what tools you already have, buying all the gear is gonna cost more than hiring a plumber to do it, or close, your bound to also get cuts ect and may cop one that requires stitching, but you could handle it your self, you need to grade the entire the through leveled points on the fascia, get a spirit level and use it to run a string line at 1-100 fall, ie every 1m it drops 10mm, try to get it so the clips touch the line but dont move it up at all, for spacing on the clips look at local requirements for weather but it should at least be every meter, if you wanna run down pipes use pvc, it's much easier, and just leave the old stuff around your power line unless you have under ground, again i suggest a professional for this but if you do your research and take your time with all the precast fittings and angles it is doable
>>
>>1121413
Wait Americans do it every two feet? Should probably go with that for min then
>>
>>1121312
would you succ or fucc a trap
>>
>>1121415
Wait, Americans don't make their gutters out of brick and concrete?
>>
>>1121413
10mm a metre seems like a lot of fall, especially over longer distances
>>
Gutterman for 30 years...
>>
I know this thread seems to be dying but I bought a foreclosed house and the gutters had pulled away. So I screwed them back. Turns out they were at too small of an angel.

Trying to fix them was much worse than had I just gone and bought new gutters.

And the run on the garage was over 30 feet and i probably should have just paid someone to do those.

Its really simple but if you do it wrong its a pain.

also its not really a one man job.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.