[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

building a workshop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1483675967496.jpg (99KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1483675967496.jpg
99KB, 1280x853px
I have very little experience with carpentry and construction in general and I want to build a small workshop in my backyard. Where do I start?
>>
www.google.com
>>
>>1120089
Bump for this
>>
With doing some research.
>>
>>1120089
I'm interested. I just bought a 12x24 shed and am planning on running that zappy stuff to it.
>>
Honestly if you don't have experience your best bet would be a pre-fabricated shop from Home Depot or Lowe's. It will come with the door, window, roof, etc. and all of the lumber you'll need to build everything. There will be instructions that guide you through the process as well. The only thing you will need to install is any insulation between the studs and you can hang the interior wall panels later. Be prepared to shell out a few grand but as far as building a nice wooden shed with limited experience this would be the best way.
>>
>>1120089
read the fucking sticky
>>
>>1120666
This is advice from hell!
Another option is to build it yourself but do some research! Google for shed plans and the shit, it isn't hard but if you are a fuck up you will fuck up. If you can hold a saw and a drill it will ease it. With zero experience in building the first ones tend to be ugly and slow to build.

I'm building a house at the moment with zero oast construction experience but I have been an active diyer my whole life so I know tools. You might not.
>>
File: IMG_20170107_125218.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170107_125218.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>1120582
FWIW, I'm this guy.

12x24 wood 'garage' ran me $5k delivered.

I kicked around building it for about a year and know I could have built it for about $1500 less - the question is when I'd get to it.
>>
>>1122037
Same reason I buy steel building kits and shipping containers.

The reason I mix buy and build is time management. Once you have shop space you can proceed to get work done. I have the time to build but I'd rather use that time and effort to outfit my shop areas instead. That, and I don't need a permit to add containers. I couldn't weld up and coat the equivalent of the High Cube I just bought despite having ample welding equipment and experience and knowig where to buy all the parts.

Everyone has slightly or drastically different needs. Compare options to find what works for you.
>>
>>1122268
Thanks, sound like your living the dream - I couldn't pull that off in the suburbs on a 1/4 acre ;)

Have any project pics?
>>
>>1122302
I post pics now and then about how to move machine tools. My containers are just "containers" externally since I don't want windows. I should probably take more photos.

Pretty much living the affordable dream. Have just under six acres in SC, so taxes are low and retirement is comfortable. I'll post the High Cube I just got when it's placed. I'm still hand winching it on pipe rollers on railroad ties to get it positioned behind my house. (I can't get a truck behind it so I deadmanned off two trees with snatch blocks and use the truck in front of my house as an anchor, then connect my Wyeth-Scott between container and truck winch extension cable. If you can't afford a winch, buy the cable and fittings anyway. They are nearly as useful and can extend any winch or comealong.)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.